[comp.sys.nsc.32k] zmodem, arc

eyal@echo.canberra.edu.au (Eyal Lebedinsky) (11/12/90)

Hello,

Having a working pc532, I decided that my first priority is to get zmodem
and then arc to enable easy flow between the 532 and my AT.

I have both working now, zmodem will do about 600 chars/sec and does not
need the elaborate startup as kermit does. It is the standard 1.5 version.

arc is v521 which I used on all minix versions, to get it working I had
to use the -fwritable-strings option of gcc or it will core dump.
I believe many programs overwrite strings, usualy when building temp file
names.

I can post the zmodem binaries and suggest that using those is much better
than moving the files with downloads via the disk.

BTW, any reason why speeds higher than 9600 should not be added to the
serial driver? (apart from compatibility with mainstream minix).
Also, I had problems when the two serial lines on one chips are used
at the same time - both hang often; I saw some discussion on the matter,
this note is just to say 'me too'.

--
Regards
	Eyal

evans@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Bruce.Evans) (11/15/90)

In article <9011111208.AA18526@echo.canberra.edu.au> eyal@echo.canberra.edu.au (Eyal Lebedinsky) writes:
>BTW, any reason why speeds higher than 9600 should not be added to the
>serial driver? (apart from compatibility with mainstream minix).

The PC mainstream allows 19200. When I want more (usually for transferring
to another machine) I edit the device registers and/or a couple of bytes in
the running device image ;-) to give 115200. I have been waiting for
someone to do the POSIX termios.h interface before doing it better. POSIX
seems to encourage a limited range of speeds with the usual Bxxx defines :(.

I like zmodem too. However, at high speeds its performance is greatly impeded
by blocking i/o - it does not stream. It needs the stuff controlled by #ifdef
READCHECK for decent performance. This is available with the 1.5 tty driver
plus a simple change.

Bruce
--
Bruce Evans		evans@syd.dit.csiro.au