[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Intel-based floppy controller

phil@Shiva.COM (Phil Budne) (11/28/90)

	Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 16:44:03 EST
	From: Jerry Callen <jcallen@maxzilla.encore.com>
	To: pc532@daver.bungi.com
	Subject: Intel-based floppy controller

	Well, I give up. the HD64180 is proving to be hard to get and
	expensive (at least $30), so I'm dumping it in favor of an,
	er, well, ah, an Intel chip. (cough, choke....)

I know Jerry ran out of gas on this project but...

I've recently found out about the Zilog Z80180 (aka Z180) which is a
superintegrated chip with an enchanced (20% faster at the same clock
speed) Z80 core w/ OSC, plus an MMU which allows bank access to 1MB, 2
asynch channels (with baud rate generators), 2 DMA channels, 2 16 bit
timers and a high speed clocked serial I/O port for interprocessor
communication.  It even has an HD64180 compatability mode bit!  I've
seen released products which use it.  Its made with 6, 8 and 10MHz(!!)
system clocks, DIP 64, PLCC 68 and QFP80 packages.  Cost is about $10.

The Z181 "SAC" Smart Access Controller adds half an SCC (one channel)
an Z80 CTC (4 8 bit counter/timers), 2 8 bit general purpose parallel
I/O ports and two chip select signals in a 100 pin QFP! It is
available with a 10Mhz system clock. Cost: about $15.

-Phil

                                    ........o
Philip Budne                        :   o---+----o      Shiva Corporation
FastPath Project Leader             :       o    |      1 Cambridge Center
                                    :     Shiva  |      Cambridge, Ma 02142
Internet: phil@Shiva.COM            :        .   |      Tel (617) 252-6300
formerly budd@{bu-it.bu.edu,MIT-AI} :        o---o      Fax (617) 252-6852

xrolfa@dna.lth.se (Rolf Andersson) (11/29/90)

>I've recently found out about the Zilog Z80180 (aka Z180) which is a
>superintegrated chip with an enchanced (20% faster at the same clock
>speed) Z80 core w/ OSC, plus an MMU which allows bank access to 1MB, 2
>asynch channels (with baud rate generators), 2 DMA channels, 2 16 bit
>timers and a high speed clocked serial I/O port for interprocessor
>communication.  It even has an HD64180 compatability mode bit!  I've
>seen released products which use it.  Its made with 6, 8 and 10MHz(!!)
>system clocks, DIP 64, PLCC 68 and QFP80 packages.  Cost is about $10.

Isn't that one pin-compatible with one of the newer revisions of HD61480?

How about a board with a 64180, a 2797 floppy cont., 512K ram, 32K eprom,
centronics port and a NCR5380 SCSI controller?

That is the CP/M computer which I built about 5 Years ago.

Unfortunatetly it is an double extended eurocard (approx. 200*220mm),
so it wont fit in one of the SCSI slots on the pc532. But I am
thinking about a wire-wrapped half-length IB-PC-like M-PC prot board
with the same kind of processor, one 1MB-simm, boot-prom , a DP8490
SCSI interface, a DP8473 FDC and a printer port.  I can prototype
such a board if someone is willing to assist in writing software which
converts it to a SCSI floppy & printer controller.  I will also make
the small changes in my BIOS necessary to run CPM3.0 on it.  This
board will be so simple that I think anyone capable of soldering can
wire-wrap it.

And if anyone can help me getting the parts cheap the better. Because
here in Sweden components are expensive (10MHz 64180 = $45).

The board could also drive a floppy compatible tape drive. I have an
second hand IRWIN-125 with some manuals.

Happy Hacking

Rolf

Rolf Andersson            ! INTERNET: xrolfa@dna.lu.se
Sankt Mansgatan 9E        ! UUCP: ...!{uunet,mcvax,munnari}!enea!dna.lu!xrolfa
S-222 29  Lund, Sweden    ! PHONE:    int+46-46126845

rennolet@mosquito (Rennolet (Kumar)) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.224659.862@lth.se> xrolfa@dna.lth.se (Rolf Andersson) writes:

>>I've recently found out about the Zilog Z80180 (aka Z180) which is a
.... stuff deleted to conserve bandwidth ...

>How about a board with a 64180, a 2797 floppy cont., 512K ram, 32K eprom,
>centronics port and a NCR5380 SCSI controller?
.... stuff deleted to conserve bandwidth ...
>And if anyone can help me getting the parts cheap the better. Because
>here in Sweden components are expensive (10MHz 64180 = $45).
>
>The board could also drive a floppy compatible tape drive. I have an
>second hand IRWIN-125 with some manuals.
>
>Happy Hacking
>
>Rolf

I have a design which I did a few years ago which has: an 80188 (blush!)
a 5380, a FDC (I can't for the life of me remember which.  But I'm pretty
sure it was the DP8473) a signetics 2681, a 32K ram and an EPROM.  I used
it to put a 3.5in diskette drive onto a machine I had which had SCSI but
no 3.5in drive.  It worked, after a fashion (not fast, but reliable if you
stuck to the subset which worked.) and would format, write, and read
720K IBM format diskettes.  That's all I had a need for at the time.  I'm
sure the design would work for 1.44M floppies as well.  I'd be happy to
share my design if you are interested.  Most of the code was written in C.
The whole board fit on a 3.5in form-factor wire-wrap board.

charles@thurse.MN.ORG
rennolet@umn-ai.cs.umn.edu

agodwin@acorn.co.uk (Adrian Godwin) (11/30/90)

In article <9011280218.AA24024@Shiva.COM> phil@Shiva.COM (Phil Budne) writes:
>I know Jerry ran out of gas on this project but...
>
>I've recently found out about the Zilog Z80180 (aka Z180) which is a
> [ ... ]
>The Z181 "SAC" Smart Access Controller adds half an SCC (one channel)
>an Z80 CTC (4 8 bit counter/timers), 2 8 bit general purpose parallel
>I/O ports and two chip select signals in a 100 pin QFP! It is
>available with a 10Mhz system clock. Cost: about $15.

A few months ago when I heard of the SAC, the Zilog rep was also pre-announcing
a similar chip with half an SCC *and* a 5380 controller.

This seemed to be for an appletalk:SCSI interface, but I'm sure a SCSI:appletalk
interface would work even better, given the relative transfer rates.

A packet-radio controller on SCSI might also suit this device well.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin                                        (agodwin@acorn.co.uk)

bdale@col.hp.com (Bdale Garbee) (12/01/90)

> The Z181 "SAC" Smart Access Controller adds half an SCC (one channel)
> an Z80 CTC (4 8 bit counter/timers), 2 8 bit general purpose parallel
> I/O ports and two chip select signals in a 100 pin QFP! It is
> available with a 10Mhz system clock. Cost: about $15.

For the same price, you can have either a V40 or V50.  8088 or 8086 style
processor, interrupt controller, dram refresh controller, serial port, 4 dma
channels, 3 timer/counters, etc.  No parallel port bits.  68-pin PGA or PLCC.

I hate programming Intel processors, but I've done a lot of it...

Bdale