[comp.sys.nsc.32k] SCSI Bus

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (11/30/90)

Has anyone thought about hooking up some Mac SCSI peripherals to the
PC532?  In particular, I've see several SCSI<->Ethernet and SCSI->two
page display peripherals advertised for the macintosh.  I wonder if
this wouldn't be a ready made solution to these two problems.

ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.oz.au (12/03/90)

randy hyde writes:
 > Has anyone thought about hooking up some Mac SCSI peripherals to the
 > PC532?  In particular, I've see several SCSI<->Ethernet and SCSI->two
 > page display peripherals advertised for the macintosh.  I wonder if
 > this wouldn't be a ready made solution to these two problems.

Sounds interesting. Got any details (like price/performance?). Also,
is programming type information available?

I think George might be being a little pessimistic regarding the  price
of the et532 though. In Australia, the 32GX32 sells for about half the
price of 32532 (purely marketing policy of course). You don't need an
fpu in the et532, you have half as much memory and you only need to populate
the duart sockets if you want to. If you only want an ethernet interface,
I'd have thought you could build it for not much over half the cost of
the pc532.

Ian Dall

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (12/04/90)

A SCSI <-> Ethernet box for the mac sells for as little as $300.
Of course, you've got to rewrite the drivers.
Smarter boxes (which handle TCP/IP inside the box rather than inside the
mac) sell for just under $1,000.
*** Randy Hyde O-)