[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Problems working with SCSI

s884764@otto.bf.rmit.OZ.AU (Grant Waldram [Atom Smash]) (12/10/90)

Well, first posting, and it's a suggestion, not a problem... Hopefully
that's a good sign, for me anyway.

No, my PC532 isn't up and running yet, though I'm roughly
30% of the way through the soldering. Just waiting on a
few parts to arrive from Steve. Anyway, back to the point...

I've noticed a few people commenting that they don't feel
confident working with SCSI, and would like to have a more
conventional bus to work from. Personally, I'm happy with
the SCSI approach, as it does provide a nice comforting
hardware barrier between the card most of the board. Or at
least it appears to. Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

So, it seems it would be reasonable for someone who has
a) the time, and b) the expertise etc.. (the former seems
to be a rare commodity around here :) to come up with a design
which incorporates some basic circuity to at least ease the
interfacing to SCSI. Perhaps a DP8490 and a bit of DRAM (or
maybe SRAM since, as someone already pointed out, it is
becoming comparatively cheap?) just to get the nasties out
of the way. A description of how do deal with it and what
sort of behaviour to expect would finish it off nicely and
might make some of the ideas that are floating around here
easier to bring to fruition.

Blame me for these ideas. I take full responsibility for them,
but no responsibility for the consequences :-)
Grant Waldram (Atom Smash)   ---   gtw%eyrie@labtam.oz.au
or, if you're feeling lucky  ---   gtw@eyrie.img.uu.oz[.au?]

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (12/11/90)

The only problem I have with working with SCSI is
that you've got to design a whole 'nother computer
system to do the interface.  Considerably more work
than adding a latch to obtain a parallel port.
From the hardware point of view, SCSI is a lot
more work.  Even from the software point of view
SCSI is a lot more work.  From the Systems point
of view, SCSI is probably the highest performance
(when done right) because it distributes the
processor load.  As soon as my board is up, I'll
be wanting a SCSI adapter for the PC so I can
get mundane interfacing out of the way.  I'd
still like to hang some peripherals off the PC532
since it runs faster than the 12-Mhz 80286 I plan
on connecting up.

As an aside, do XTerminals always connect across
Ethernet?  Has anyone found one which talks to
SCSI?  I think an Xterminal on the PC532 would
be kinda' nice.  Has anyone else done this?

Also, what's the current status of MINIX, GCC,
GLD, GAS, and G++.  Has anyone managed to
get GCC running under MINIX (or, at least,
producing MINIX executable files)?
*** Randy Hyde O-)

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (12/11/90)

In article <10427@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>The only problem I have with working with SCSI is
>that you've got to design a whole 'nother computer
>system to do the interface.  Considerably more work
>than adding a latch to obtain a parallel port.

Well, maybe not.  I read an article in Circuit Cellar, Ink (I think)
recently that showed how one might get away with less.  Basically, you
fake enough of the interface so that all real SCSI devices know the
bus is busy and stay off while you access your pseudo-SCSI device.
Then, you could use the SCSI bus however you liked (within some
restrictions).  As long as BSY is asserted, you can use the other
control lines to do things like register select, read/write, etc.
I can check for the exact article and issue if anyone is interested
in the details.
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000

culberts@hplwbc.hpl.hp.com (Bruce Culbertson) (12/12/90)

> Also, what's the current status of MINIX, GCC,
> GLD, GAS, and G++.  Has anyone managed to
> get GCC running under MINIX (or, at least,
> producing MINIX executable files)?
> *** Randy Hyde O-)

Pc532 Minix is alive and well.  I distribute it so send me e-mail
for details.  Included is a GCC binary which runs under Minix.
Since I already had my own assembler and linker when GCC came
along, I have not bothered to port GLD or GAS.

Bruce Culbertson
culberts@hplabs.hp.com