[comp.sys.nsc.32k] GNU cross development tools.

bobm@convex.com (05/02/90)

I've ported all the binutils except for gprof to a bigendian machine
(a convex c2).  I used functions with names like "internalize_symtab"
and "externalize_relocations". I'm using bsd format objects and
executables.  All the word data in the files are little-endian.

Would you like me to mail diffs of my stuff to you?

					K<bob>

george@wombat.bungi.COM (George Scolaro) (12/13/90)

[In the message entitled "GNU cross development tools." on Dec 13,  6:36, Johannes Helander writes:]

> I have one question regarding the pc532 board: Is the debug (/DBG) pin
> of the CPU connected _directly_ to the power layer or is it adequate
> to just cut the trace leading from it to be able to connect a debug
> switch? Nobody here seemed to have the layouts in printable form.
>
> 	Johannes

The /DBG pin connects to a pullup resistor V+, unfortunately it is in the
chain of all V+ connections. Therefore cutting the trace that leads to it
on the solder side would cause the trace leading away from it (on an inner
layer) to still be connected to /DBG.

Looking from the top side of the board (component side), with the board
oriented such that the 532 is at the top, and the power connector is at the
bottom right:

			  |  <-- this trace is on an inner layer
			 /
			o  <-- the /DBG pin
		_______/  <-- this trace on the solder side

best regards,

--
George Scolaro
george@wombat.bungi.com                [37 20 51 N / 122 03 07 W]

jvh@spiff.hut.fi (Johannes Helander) (12/13/90)

Gary Jennejohn <garyj@neptun.pcs.com> writes:

>   I'm in the process of implementing the GDB remote debugging stuff in the
>   debugger. It works fairly well, I can set breakpoints, single step,
>   disassemble, look at stack frames, continue, etc.
>   I took the path of getting gcc, gas and gld to work so that I can use
>   the dbx symbol table stuff. This minimized the amount of hacking I had
>   to do to gdb.
>   If anyone else is interested i can provide diffs at a later date (both
>   to gdb and the debugger). This is all based on gdb3.5. Jordan and I both
>   plan to use gdb in the future.

This sounds very useful indeed. Diffs would certainly be appreciated.
In fact I had plans on implementing the remote gdb myself, but haven't
got to it yet, and now luckily do not need to.

We now have a working gcc 1.37.94/95 + gas 1.37 + gld, ar, nm, strip +
Bruce's disassembler working as cross compiling tools on a 386 box
running Mach 2.5 / 3.0. They are mostly a combination of various
patches (including those for Mach). Some parts (like
print_operand_address) have been completely rewritten. The programs
are probably not suited for Minix and might not work on a big endian
machine. If somebody is, however, interested we could produce some
clean diffs.

We also built a number display. It uses the eight led outputs and +5V
to drive 10 hexdigits with dots and some additional leds. The chips
used on it are not very practical but if somebody wants to build one
or redesign it, we have schemes available + assembly routines to drive
them.