[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Need help compiling gcc.

sverre@lars.Seri.GOV (Sverre Froyen) (01/01/91)

Dear All,

For the past couple of days I have been trying to compile gcc on the
pc532 under Minix.  I am trying to compile gcc-1.38 using a set of
patches from Finland (which installed without a hitch) and with
Bruce's as and ld.  The Minix is pretty much straight out of the box
(Bruce's that is).  The pc532 has 4MB memory installed.

The first problem I ran into was that bison core dumped immediately.
Undefining alloca and using the malloc version of alloca (from emacs
or gcc) fixed that problem (but should not builtin_alloca work even
under gcc-1.35???).  Anyway I turned off builtin_alloca in my attempts
to compile gcc.

I have gotten as far as having everything link together and produce
running copies of gcc, cc1, and cpp.  These work fine on simple test
programs.  However when compiling gnulib2 or when trying to recompile
gcc-1.38 I get fatal signal 6 (out of memory).  Given 4MB of memory
this somehow does not seem right.  To test this further I wrote a
small loop that allocates chunks of space.  Depending on the chunksize
I was able to malloc about 1.4MB before malloc returned 0.  Can this
be right and could this be the cause of my problems with gcc.

Ideas anyone???

Sverre
--
Sverre Froyen
sverre@seri.gov, sunpeaks!seri!sverre

ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.oz.au (01/06/91)

Sverre Froyen writes:
 > Dear All,
 >
 > The first problem I ran into was that bison core dumped immediately.
 > Undefining alloca and using the malloc version of alloca (from emacs
 > or gcc) fixed that problem (but should not builtin_alloca work even
 > under gcc-1.35???).

Well, yes it should, but it doesn't. My version of gcc has a fix to make
builtin_alloca work, but it adds an extra overhead on function returns.
RMS says it will be fixed properly in gcc version 2.

 > programs.  However when compiling gnulib2 or when trying to recompile
 > gcc-1.38 I get fatal signal 6 (out of memory).  Given 4MB of memory
 > this somehow does not seem right.

It could be. The optimisation can use a lot of memory (though I
wouldn't have expected gnulib2 to be a problem). Try compiling the
troublesome modules without -O.

Ian Dall

news@daver.bungi.com (01/08/91)

>Ian Dall writes:
>Sverre Froyen writes:
> >  ...  However when compiling gnulib2 or when trying to recompile
> > gcc-1.38 I get fatal signal 6 (out of memory).  Given 4MB of memory
> > this somehow does not seem right.

>It could be. The optimisation can use a lot of memory (though I
>wouldn't have expected gnulib2 to be a problem). Try compiling the
>troublesome modules without -O.

FYI: I had gcc run for about 24 hours using about 3 hours of CPU time
optimizing one of the larger versions of flex.  This happened under ISC
i386 unix running on a Compaq with 8 Mbytes of memory.  Here's part of
ps from a partially complete run -- note the 141:18 minutes of cpu time
on the last line of ps output.

Compiling without "-O" is very likely the right idea.  Efficiency loss
should not be drastic.

====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ====== ======
halsoft:~/52> ps -fu jon
     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY      TIME COMMAND
     jon  4807  4329  0 16:14:33 ttyp2    0:00 /bin/make bigtest
     jon  4879  4807  0 16:19:27 ttyp2    0:00 sh -ce rm -f scan.c ; make COMPRESSION="-Cf" test
     jon  4881  4879  0 16:19:28 ttyp2    0:00 make COMPRESSION=-Cf test
     jon  4884  4881  0 16:19:35 ttyp2    0:00 gcc -O -DUSG -traditional -c scan.c
     jon  4886  4884  0 16:19:40 ttyp2   141:18 /usr/local/lib/gcc-cc1 /usr/tmp/cca04884.cpp -quiet -dumpbase scan.c -O -tradit
halsoft:~/53> date
Sat Nov 17 15:43:27 PST 1990

Good Luck:
Jonathan Ryshpan		<...!uunet!hitachi!jon>