[comp.sys.nsc.32k] MINIX 1.5 / 1.3 hybrid DISTRIBUTION

phil@cs.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson) (02/15/91)

Hello Everyone,

  The distribution of minix 1.5 hybrid (kernel version 1.3) is now ready.
It is available for anonymous ftp from willow.cs.wwu.edu (140.160.140.153)
in the directory pub/minix532.  There are also binaries of gcc-1.37 and
patch that will help you in your upgrading.  The binaries live in
pub/minix532/bin.  If you do not have access to ftp, I can mail you the
distribution.  I presume most of you have access to ftp, so I'll take
e-mail requests for those who don't.  Send your mail to phil@cs.wwu.edu.

  For this distribution to be useful you need  (a) minix 1.3 version for
the pc532 from Bruce and (b) a full source tree for minix 1.5 (pc version).
There are upgrade kits available for 1.3 -> 1.5 via anonymous ftp from
plains.nodak.edu in the directory pub/Minix/updates.  This distribution
includes crc listings for the 1.5 source tree used as a reference, the
final "reference" source tree that includes Bruce's sources and  the final
1.5 hybrid source tree.

  WARNING:  This distribution does not contain full source or executable
due to the copyright on Minix.  This will take some effort on your part
to get it working.  Several people have successfully created working
versions of the 1.5 hybrid ... (Would you who have working 1.5 hybrid
systems please tell of your experiences with it?)

  Version 1.5 is a major improvement when compared to version 1.3.  It has
the following major features (or improvements):

	a) Supports minix 1.5 except the kernel which is still 1.3.  1.5
	   has many more commands and some of the commands are much nicer
	   and more complete.  The 1.5 version is much easier system for
	   porting free programs.  (If I remember correctly, bison needed
	   no changes to get it to compile using the SYS_V defs.)

	b) Kernel does include the 1.5 TTY driver!  This TTY driver supports
	   ALL speeds available on the pc532 UARTS.  It includes user
	   selectable (at compile time) hardware flow control.  The xon/xoff
	   works correctly and you can use both ports on one uart at the
	   same time without hanging the system.  (In fact, I don't know of
	   a single hang caused by the 1.5 TTY driver.)

	c) The local definitions for your disk and its partitions have been
	   extracted from scsi_hi.c into an include file.  This allows
	   updates to scsi_hi.c that will not change your partition
	   information.

	d) The file system supports 64 Meg partitions (up from 32 Megs in
	   version 1.3)

	e) Signals work a little better.

	f) Bruce's ranlib and ld have been changed to support the minix ar
	   format.  This allows minix532 to have only one ar on the system.

	g) I have several "quick hacks" that have been useful to me.  These
	   include a version of the minix "term" that supports zmodem.  (You
	   can run rz and sz without exiting term.  Term also connects the
	   communication port to sz and rz.)

	h) gcc-1.39 has compiled with minimal changes.  (The changes were
	   mainly to the minix include tree to add "dummy" include files.)

  I may be missing some things, but I think any one who is running minix
on their pc532 will be pleased with this version.  I think it is a much
more useful operating system than minix 1.3.  There have been reports of
many free programs being ported easily to the atari st minix 1.5.  They
include TeX and GNU emacs.   There is also an almost complete uucp package
for minix 1.5 and many email systems for it also.  I think that there are
some minix 1.5 machines running news.

  I expect to see minix 1.6.? ready for distribution by AST by sometime this
summer.  It is supposed to have a TCP/IP implementation ready and has
a more complete file system (it includes locking which 1.5 does not).

  Bruce and I are going to be working on getting the kernel up to version 1.5.
Work is alread under way, but we have no idea when it will be ready.  Until
then, the 1.5 hybrid version appears to be stable enough to use.   When it
is done, we will distribute updates as changes from this minix 1.5 hybrid
version.

  When you get the distribution, I recommend that you read the README file
with the distribution and the README file with the pc532 specific programs
in the commands directory.

I hope this makes many people happy!

--Phil

phil@cs.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson)
Computer Science Department
Western Washington University
Bellingham, WA 98226

sverre@lev.Seri.GOV (Sverre Froyen) (02/15/91)

>  WARNING:  This distribution does not contain full source or executable
>due to the copyright on Minix.  This will take some effort on your part
>to get it working.  Several people have successfully created working
>versions of the 1.5 hybrid ... (Would you who have working 1.5 hybrid
>systems please tell of your experiences with it?)

I have been using a prerelease if this hybrid for about 3 weeks.
My recommendation: The effort it takes to upgrade is well worth it.
The new version is WONDERFUL!  Most of the problems porting code
in 1.3, like shell scripts failing, makes not working properly, etc.,
are GONE.  There are still bugs no doubt.  I sent a description
of some to Bruce and I will post the ones that were not fixed
to the mailing list once I take a look at new distribution.

This brings up the question, once again, of software maintenance.
Should we try to find a way to coordinate Minix bug fixes, porting
of utilities, etc.  One way to do this would be to assign a moderator
for each task.  A task could be the kernel, another the libraries
(or a subset of the libraries), yet anothre gcc, etc.  We would
send our changes, improvements, or fixes to the moderator, with an
optional posting to the mailing list so that others might get
immediate benefit. The moderator would incorporate the changes and
send out an ``approved'' patch/version and maybe also a new binary.
This scheme might avoid some of the duplication of effort that seemed
to take place with Minix 1.3.

Irrespective of the above, from now on, please indicate for which version
your changes, fixes, ports, etc. are meant.

Sverre

--
Sverre Froyen
sverre@seri.gov, sunpeaks!seri!sverre

maniac@convex.convex.com (Jon Buller) (02/17/91)

> If you do not have access to ftp, I can mail you the
> distribution.  I presume most of you have access to ftp, so I'll take
> e-mail requests for those who don't.  Send your mail to phil@cs.wwu.edu.

Sounds great!  Esp. the parts about fixes/upgrades.  I (unfortunately)
do not have access to any off-site ftp, so could you mail the stuff to
me?  Thanks,
--
Jon Buller       jonb@vector.dallas.tx.us       ..!texsun!vector!jonb
FROM Fortune IMPORT Quote;             FROM Lawyers IMPORT Disclaimer;