[comp.sys.nsc.32k] LEDS, camera, ...

thain@cbnewsl.att.com (gregory.g.thain) (03/19/91)

	My pc532 is almost working!  After many months of obtaining parts,
tools, a diploma and gainful employment, I find myself with my pc532
fully soldered.  At power-on time, all 4 LEDS light, but nothing on the
terminal.  Any suggetions?  Time to go over the board, and look for
cold joints (again?).  What is the order of the things that the monitor
does?  i.e. If the LEDS come on, how much has sucessfully executed?

	On the software front, now that MACH 3.0 for the 386 has been
freed and released, does anyone out there with relevant experience have
any idea how much effort porting it to our baby would be? I assume that
this is what project GNU will use for their kernel?

-Greg Thain
...!att!cbnea!thain
thain@cbnea.att.com
	Working (and Speaking) _at_, not _for_ AT&T Bell Labs.

alvin@saturn.ucsc.edu (Alvin Jee) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.023601.1018@cbnewsl.att.com> thain@cbnewsl.att.com (gregory.g.thain) writes:

>	My pc532 is almost working!  After many months of obtaining parts,
>tools, a diploma and gainful employment, I find myself with my pc532
>fully soldered.  At power-on time, all 4 LEDS light, but nothing on the
>terminal.  Any suggetions?  Time to go over the board, and look for
>cold joints (again?).  What is the order of the things that the monitor
>does?  i.e. If the LEDS come on, how much has sucessfully executed?

Yeah!
  Me too! I get LED's, pulses on the ICU..., but no DUART activity. I
  checked around and the DUART pin on the IODEC never gets blipped. It
  looks like the CPU gets lost after it sets the LED's--the DRAM seems
  to get selected, but it shouldn't be (right?). Basically, HELP! I
  don't have an o'scope yet, so probing around with my trusty Radio
  Shack logic probe is pretty much all I can do for now--until I
  drag the box up to the campus electronics labs.

  Anyways, I went a got a couple of hex displays and hooked them up to
  the LED outputs. Turns out that they fit perfectly in the "speed indicator"
  holes that are in most tower and mini tower cases. Now I can watch the
  LED lines on the outside of the computer (ooohhh aaahh!).

  Oh, I've got 4 1meg simms in the thing without the PARITY pal in place.
  I've followed the two major debugging postings I found in this group,
  but I think that my board gets along farther than the postings go.

  Hmm...
	Alvin Jee
	alvin@ce.ucsc.edu