[comp.sys.nsc.32k] Floppy drives.

jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (04/11/91)

Whoa, Nelly! Whooaaaa....

Since when did we all decide that 1.44 MB was the way to go?
I don't know about you guys, but for me the floppy drive represents
a COMMON format device that I can use for sucking data from the
widest possible set of additional machines. For me, this means 720K
format, not 1.44MB (which would rule out the Amigas and Ataris, not
to mention various early PC's and god-knows-what-else).

Now if the 1.44MB drives can all deal happily with 720K (or, dare
I say it, even 360K) formats, then consider my mouth closed in
satisfied silence. If not, then please, let's all give this
a re-think and set some priorities..

As far as quantity 100 deals are concerned, it certainly seems like
there should be 100+ PC532 owners in the near future... Why not try
and set up such a quantity buy? You could always buy an extra
drive for your dog..

					Jordan

bdale@col.hp.com (Bdale Garbee) (04/11/91)

> Now if the 1.44MB drives can all deal happily with 720K

All that I've seen can, and do.  Null issue.

Bdale

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (04/11/91)

As per my post immediately prior to yours, 2.88 (and 1.44) handle 720K (and
even the non-standard 360K) 3-1/2" formats.

Has anyone looked at flopticals lately?  They're supposed to read 1.44mb
diskettes *and* store up to 25mbytes on special disks.  I understand
(from some other conference around here) that these things should be shipping
to mere mortals sometime in Aug.  Anyone know anything about this?
*** Randy Hyde

ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (04/15/91)

In article <13518@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>Has anyone looked at flopticals lately?

I have...;')

>They're supposed to read 1.44mb
>diskettes *and* store up to 25mbytes on special disks.  I understand
>(from some other conference around here) that these things should be shipping
>to mere mortals sometime in Aug.  Anyone know anything about this?

The only floptical that I know of is the Insite Peripherals I325VM.  It
holds 20.8MB of formatted data on special 3.5" disks and will read and
write to standard 720K and 1.44MB floppies.  They spec transfer at
1.6Mbits/sec. and a 65ms avg. seek time.  It uses a SCSI interface,
and is a 3.5" form factor.

Arrow electronics is going to sell them, and will have them in June.
The bare I325VM drive will cost $490.  They also have an `Evaluation
Kit' that includes drive, one disk, utility software, OEM and
programmers manual and mounting hardware for $685.  I dunno how much
the special disks cost.  I rather suspect that this thing will be a
big hit in the Mac market, so the price should come down as volume
ramps up.

--
	 ken seefried iii	ken@dali.cc.gatech.edu

	"If 'ya can't be with the one you love,