[comp.sys.nsc.32k] SCSI floppies UPDATE

sverre@lars.Seri.GOV (Sverre Froyen) (04/24/91)

Dear All,

drives I got 14 responses expressing interest (including the maybes).
After calling a couple of places I found a price of $157 for single
quantity TEAC 1.44 MB drives.  In quantity 10 the drive was only $6 less,
so a group purchase probably does not make sense (the cost of reshipping
the drives would exceed the gain).  I have ordered one of these drives
and I will report back once I try it out.  The drive is supposed to be
able to read AND write 1.44MB and 720kB diskettes.  We shall see.

Here is the price info (from J. D. Hannam)

Model                             1        10       in stock

TEAC FD-235HS-302   (1.44MB)    157       151         yes
TEAC FD-235JS-501-U (2.88MB)    192       185          no

I have been informed that the 2.88MB model can also read AND write
the lower densities diskettes.

Sverre

--
Sverre Froyen
sverre@seri.gov, sunpeaks!seri!sverre

john@Equi.com (John J. Ackley) (04/27/91)

In article <9104231910.AA04299@lars.seri.gov> sverre@lars.Seri.GOV (Sverre Froyen) writes:
>so a group purchase probably does not make sense (the cost of reshipping
>the drives would exceed the gain).  I have ordered one of these drives
>and I will report back once I try it out.  The drive is supposed to be
>able to read AND write 1.44MB and 720kB diskettes.  We shall see.

>I have been informed that the 2.88MB model can also read AND write
>the lower densities diskettes.

Someone recently mentioned checking out Macintosh periphs.  Apple makes
a "SuperDrive" that handles most, if not all, popular PC and Mac
floppy formats.  Does anyone know if they sell an external model that
would talk SCSI?

John Ackley <john@equi.com> // The usual disclaimer stuff