[comp.sys.nsc.32k] how to upgrade to 1.5h?

nomad@watson.ibm.com (Lee 'nomad' Damon) (05/08/91)

In article <9105071838.AA09447@strawberry.cs.wwu.edu> phil@cs.wwu.edu writes:

>On a slightly different subject, I am interested in how many people
>have upgraded to minix 1.5h?  Please drop me a line if you are
>running minix 1.5h.

I'd like this information too. I've just received my 1.5.10 (AT 5.25")
disks, and would like to upgrade dragon.castle.org (my pc532) to 1.5

What are the recommended steps? Where can I get the new kernel and other
pc532 specific stuff that I need?

ADVthanksANCE
nomad
work: nomad@watson.ibm.com               - Lee "nomad" Damon -         \
play: castle!nomad or nomad@castle.org                                  \
Un*x Systems Administrator, Math Dept, IBM TJ Watson Research Center   / \
    "Blessed are the pessimists, for they have made backups."         /   \

phil@cs.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson) (05/11/91)

   From: nomad@watson.ibm.com (Lee 'nomad' Damon)

   What are the recommended steps? Where can I get the new kernel and other
   pc532 specific stuff that I need?

Well, You need 2 things.  a) The original distribution from Bruce C. AND
b) The diffs for 1.5h from willow.cs.wwu.edu.

To get a) you need to send your original boot diskette (make a copy for
yourself) to Bruce.  His address is:

	Bruce Culbertson
	4250 El Caminio Real #D334
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	U.S.A.

You need to send him enough diskettes to make a complete copy or send
him enough $ to cover the disks.  I forget what he wanted in $$.

For part b, ftp to willow.cs.wwu.edu (140.160.140.153) and login as
anonymous.  Connect to the directory pub/minix532.  There is a file
called hyb1.5.tar.Z that contains the instructions on how to upgrade
and the diffs from 1.5 and Bruce's release.  You will also need the
diffs1.uue to apply the first set of patches to 1.5h.  Also, you might
want to get the files from pub/minix532/bin which are the gcc-1.37
binaries (yes they are old, but not as old as the gcc-1.35 with
Bruce's original distribution.) and a patch binary.  You might want to
get other soruces from the pub/minix532 directory like mg2 or ue.

If you can't ftp to willow, I can mail you the files you need in a
uuencoded split form.

Good luck.

--Phil

culberts@hplwbc.hpl.hp.com (Bruce Culbertson) (05/14/91)

> From: phil@cs.wwu.edu (Phil Nelson)
>
>    From: nomad@watson.ibm.com (Lee 'nomad' Damon)
>
>    What are the recommended steps? Where can I get the new kernel and other
>    pc532 specific stuff that I need?
>
> Well, You need 2 things.  a) The original distribution from Bruce C. AND
> b) The diffs for 1.5h from willow.cs.wwu.edu.
>
> To get a) you need to send your original boot diskette (make a copy for
> yourself) to Bruce.  His address is:
>
> 	Bruce Culbertson
> 	4250 El Caminio Real #D334
> 	Palo Alto, CA 94306
> 	U.S.A.
>
> You need to send him enough diskettes to make a complete copy or send
> him enough $ to cover the disks.  I forget what he wanted in $$.

Let me just add a couple of details...  In addition to the boot disk
with the Prentice-Hall copyright on it, which I will return, send me
either: six U.S. dollars; or two 1.2M blank floppies plus packaging and
return postage.  In addition to the original pc532-Minix distribution, I
will send you the 1.5h upgrade kit so you will not need to get it from
willow.cs.wwu.edu.

Obviously, it would be much nicer if I just sent you a 1.5h distribution
rather than a 1.3 distribution and an 1.5h upgrade kit.  I would do this
except that I simply have not had time yet to package the 1.5h
distribution.  I now have more spare time so I will repackage the
distribution soon.  Don't bother waiting for it, though, because Phil
Nelson did an excellent job on the upgrade kit and it really is not very
painful to use it.

Bruce Culbertson