[comp.sys.ti] Triton Turbo XT PC

alfredm@tekig5.TEK.COM (Alfred Mikalow) (11/17/87)

Has any one purchased the Triton XT?

If you have I have some questions!

     1. Is it really IBM compatible?
     2. Can you do true multi tasking
     3. Do you like it?
     4. How does it work with the ti keyboard?

Any responses send EMAIL to above.  Any information will be appreciated.
Tks

maxwell@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert Maxwell) (11/24/87)

In article <2170@tekig5.TEK.COM>, alfredm@tekig5.UUCP writes:
> Has any one purchased the Triton XT?
>
> If you have I have some questions!

I have not purchased it, but I did consider it at one time. My answers
are based on my reasons for not purchasing the Triton system.

>      1. Is it really IBM compatible?
They claim it is, and I assume it would be at least as compatible as
any other clone on the market.
>      2. Can you do true multi tasking
No, DOS is not a true multi-tasking system and I don't see any claims to
that effect in the Triton catalogue.
>      3. Do you like it?
Not enough to buy it-like I say above, I only reviewed Tritons own ads.
>      4. How does it work with the ti keyboard?
They include what they call a "bridge box" that plugs into the expansion
port on the side of the TI99. The bridge box would be whatever circuitry
was needed to convert the TI output to the equivalent of the normal keyboard
input for their CPU.

The keyboard is my first objection to the setup, all you are really using
from the TI is the keyboard and the TI keyboard is not easy for a touch
typist to use.

If you read their ad carefully, they include a disclaimer about using your
color TV as a monitor if you want to do text oriented tasks.

Add up the costs, and see if you really think it is worth it:

Triton Turbo XT, 8/4.77 MHZ 8088-2 w/1 DS-DD 5-1/4" floppy 499.00
Shipping on above                                           19.90
MS-DOS Software                                             89.95
                                                            -----
Total                                                      608.85

For that price, you are still using your TI keyboard and whatever
monitor you already have. The above also includes only 256 K of
memory.

I have an ad from Jade computer in front of me that offers a similar
cpu, 640K of memory, 1 DS-DD floppy and a keyboard for 495.00 (monitor
is extra). Shipping charges are $0.50/lb which is probably about the
same as Triton. Jade's ad does not mention MS-DOS, but I don't find
any ad for the software in the same flyer so I can't say for certain
if and how much extra the DOS software would cost. (many compatibles
include the DOS as part of the system)

My own TI99 will probably be given to the grandkids as a game machine
as soon as I finish retrieving my data and programs to port them to
my 6300plus. It was a good home computer at the time it was first
made, but it will never be a real PC. The technology in it is too
far behind the times.

> Any responses send EMAIL to above.  Any information will be appreciated.
I tried, but the mail bounced.
> Tks
Disclaimer:
 I have no experience with either the Triton or Jade Computer equipment
I discuss above, I have only studied the ads from them.

Bob Maxwell	AT&T DP&CT	     |	All standard (and most non_standard)
Maitland, FL	ihnp4!ablnc!maxwell  |  disclaimers apply.