[comp.sys.ti] What is this?

grimesg@makalu (George Grimes) (03/29/88)

What is the subject of this group? Is it the TI 99/4 home computer or the
TI Pro?

pearl@topaz.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (03/31/88)

In article <186@snjsn1.SJ.ATE.SLB.COM> grimesg@makalu.UUCP (George Grimes) writes:

>What is the subject of this group? Is it the TI 99/4 home computer or the
>TI Pro?

Probably both.  I would like to hear more about the 99/4a though.
Does anyone have any experience with the Geneve 99640???

Steve
NAME:  Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)        VOICE: (201)932-3465
UUCP:  rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!pearl ARPA:  pearl@topaz.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTE:  "Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)
	"What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19

was@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (J. Wasik) (03/31/88)

In article grimesg@makalu.UUCP (George Grimes) wrote:
>What is the subject of this group? Is it the TI 99/4 home computer or the
>TI Pro?

Neither, look carefully at the newsgroup line. It's "ti" (pronounced
"tea"), the name of a Hawaiian houseplant and not "TI," the infamous
semi-conductor manufacturer in Texas.

The ti plant is really quite beautiful and easy to maintain. It's leaves
are palm-like and usually red and green in color. Introduced from Hawaii,
where it grows in the wild, it's not grown from seed but from "logs,"
which are actually root cuttings. Just keep this little guy's roots
nice and damp, not overly wet and soggy, and it will return you with
years of service  (Which is more than we could ever say about that
infamous semi-conductor manufacturer in Texas who once dabbled in the
Professional Computer business!)

Hope this helps...

--

Joe Wasik - Pacific*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Room 4e750V, San Ramon, CA 94583
	"Never look a gift mouth in the horse"

CXH@PSUVMA.BITNET (04/02/88)

Additional TI information.............
                                      Forthcoming........

jkimble@crash.cts.com (Jim Kimble) (04/08/88)

Regarding an earlier crack about TI and the fact that they "once dabbled in
the Professional Computer industry" (or words to that effect), you haven't
been keeping up.

As a disqualifer, I was one of the many who expanded their TI-99/4A to it's
limits only to be sh*t on a little later when TI backed out.  And the TI
Pro hasn't helped public relations any.  But lately TI has come out with some
decent hardware -- namely the 1000 series.

TI's TMS990 (versus the TMS9900) machines have been out in the business world
for many years, and many of them are still in use.  Beleive it or not, but
TI *still* supports the DX10 and DNOS operating systems.

But anyway, the latest and greatest hardware is the Business System 1500
(which is a multiprocessor [68020-based] minisuper computer).  And the BS1600,
which is basically the same system with a larger chasis that can handle more
processors, handles up to 256 users while maintaing decent system preformance.
One of the nice things about the 1500/1600 systems, is if you want to slap
another processor in the box, all you do is power it off, put in the new
card, and turn it back on.  That simple.

I use a 1500 at work for developement (it's Unix SystemV based) and I'm
quite impressed.  For the most part, TI has been gaining points in the
industry lately. . . maybe they turned over a new leaf.

--Jim Kimble

"I used to be into necrophillia, flagellation, and beastiality -- but my
friends said I was just beating a dead horse."

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!jkimble
ARPA: crash!jkimble@nosc
INET: jkimble@crash.CTS.COM

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (04/16/88)

In article <3062@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> was@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) writes:
}In article grimesg@makalu.UUCP (George Grimes) wrote:
}>What is the subject of this group? Is it the TI 99/4 home computer or the
}>TI Pro?

}Neither, look carefully at the newsgroup line. It's "ti" (pronounced
}"tea"), the name of a Hawaiian houseplant and not "TI," the infamous
}semi-conductor manufacturer in Texas.

}The ti plant is really quite beautiful and easy to maintain. It's leaves
}are palm-like and usually red and green in color. Introduced from Hawaii...

Strange, the TI plant where I used to work was baby blue in color,
apparently made of brick and found in Cypress, Texas.

regards, Larry (a creator of our favorite orphaned Professional Computer)
--
Who: Larry A. Shurr (cbosgd!osu-cis!apr!las or try {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbcp1!las)
What: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."