[comp.sys.ti] Whatsa TI Portable Professional?

richard@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (RICHARD KERSHENBAUM) (08/25/88)

Last weekend I bought a 1983-vintage TI Portable Professional Computer, and I'm
hoping someone reading this newsgroup can tell me what I have.  The machine was
being sold with a printer that I wanted for use with my cp/m Kaypro.  It was
cheap, so I took a chance.

The machine I have is pretty basic: 1 double-sided floppy, 128k, and one
parallel port.  The video board appears to contain a serial port, but you have
to add a separate cable and DB25 connector.  It came with assorted software,
including MS-DOS 1.25.

My questions are these:

1. Can the machine be upgraded to run a later version of MS-DOS and to
read/write diskettes at 360K (instead of 320k)?  If so, does this require a
hardware change, and where is the hardware/software available?

2. The manual talks about expandability to 256k, and there are sockets on the
memory expansion board to acommodate this.  But will it accept a standard PC/XT
memory expansion board to go above 256k?

3. Will other PC/XT-compatible boards work in this machine?

Thanks for any help!  If I can cheaply upgrade the beast to at least MS-DOS
2.n, I may hang onto it.  If not, I guess I'll stick with the trusty Kaypro,
and sell the TI to someone who needs a cheap stanadlone word-processor.

 |                                                    )
 | Richard M. Kershenbaum                            (
 |       			    		      \   "Nobody does more
 | Manager, Technical Services                   *     |    harm than folks
 | The University of Kansas                            |    who feel bad
 | Computer Center	       			       |    about doing it."
 | Lawrence, Kansas 66045          (913)864-0445       |
 | Bitnet:   richard@ukanvax     	     	       |
 | Internet: richard@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu 	       |
 |_____________________________________________________|

grimesg@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Plano-San Jose Courier Service) (08/30/88)

In article <64@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, richard@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (RICHARD KERSHENBAUM) writes:

> My questions are these:
>
> 1. Can the machine be upgraded to run a later version of MS-DOS and to
> read/write diskettes at 360K (instead of 320k)?  If so, does this require a
> hardware change, and where is the hardware/software available?
>
> 2. The manual talks about expandability to 256k, and there are sockets on the
> memory expansion board to acommodate this.  But will it accept a standard PC/XT
> memory expansion board to go above 256k?
>
> 3. Will other PC/XT-compatible boards work in this machine?

Check with the TIPC Network at (800)233-TIPC for both hardware and software for
the TI Pro.