[net.wanted] GEICO auto insurance

parnass@ihuxf.UUCP (06/17/83)

       The  following  query  recently	appeared  on  the  net	 in
       "ih.misc":

	  Any advice on	the GEICO car insurance?  I called them	for a quote and
       they offered me a policy	at 70% of the rate I pay now.  Is there	a catch?

       You might find the following true story of interest:

       Up until	1976, my parents and I had GEICO auto insurance	 in
       New   Jersey.   The  rates  were	 low  compared	with  other
       insurance companies.

       GEICO was pretty	selective in choosing its customers.   Ori-
       ginally,	 its  customers	were government	employees and their
       families, who were rated	as good	risks.	The  State  of	New
       Jersey  then forced GEICO to stop discriminating	and to sell
       insurance to everyone.  After a while, GEICO stopped operat-
       ing  in	New  Jersey,  claiming	that  they  could no longer
       operate profitably in the state since they were	now  forced
       to insure drivers of high risk.

       When GEICO pulled out, its customers were left  holding	the
       bag.   We  had to try and get auto insurance from other com-
       panies.	But, other companies wouldn't  sell  us	 insurance.
       The  only  other	alternative (since auto	insurance is manda-
       tory in N. J.) was to be	placed into a state run	 "assigned-
       risk" pool.

       I remember walking into a State	Farm  office  to  buy  auto
       insurance.   The	agent led me through filling out the appli-
       cation form.  Then he asked which company  I  was  presently
       insured	with.	When  I	 told him I had	GEICO insurance, he
       stopped dead in his tracks and said that	 State	Farm  would
       not  sell  policies  to former GEICO customers regardless of
       their driving records.  This  happened  to  me  at  Allstate
       also.

       The problem became academic when	I moved	to Indiana in  1976
       and  bought  State  Farm	 insurance there.  I have been with
       State Farm ever since and have been quite pleased with their
       service.

       Robert S. Parnass
       BTL, IH 1B-414	x5760	 ihnp4!ihuxf!parnass

cfv@packet.UUCP (06/20/83)

Having worked for an insurance company for a while, let me add a little
information into the supposed GEICO problem in New Jersey. The Insurance
commission in New Jersey is an elected (and political) office. These are the
people who set rates and policies for those who sell insurance in the state
(For those that don't know it, insurance is regulated by the states, which
means that an insurance company has to learn and keep track of 50 sets of
rules, none of which have any relevance to any other set. They also have to
work with 50 different commissions and set 50 different sets of rates. This,
besides being real confusing, creates a LOT of legislative overhead that has
to be passed along to the consumer. Another wonderful hidden cost of
government).

Anyway, in the mid 70's, the Insurance Commissioner in NJ decided to get
re-elected. To do so, he started screaming about the unreasonable rates that
insurance companies charge (blackmail and theft were among his vocabulary).
He ram rodded through some rates that even in the 60's would have been
seriously unreasonable. He also ram rodded through non-cancellation acts and
other extremely non-competitive things (The non cancellation act meant that
no matter how bad a driver you were, they couldn't cancel your insurance.
Because of the other restrictions, they couldn't even raise your premium).
The end result of this was that the bad drivers in New Jersey were being
subsidized by all the drivers in the other states and by the profits of the
insurance companies in the other states (BTW, if you look at the profit
picture of the insurance companies, you will find that most of them LOSE
money on their premiums. The place they make money is in the investment of
the premium before they have to pay it out. Usually, an insurance company
will consider an end profit of 3 or 4 CENTS per dollar good. Compare this
to 10 cents on the dollar for supermarkets and see if they are stealing you
blind). Rather than force the nation to subsidize the drivers of New Jersey,
some insurance companies pulled out of New Jersey.

We have GEICO home insurance. We are VERY happy with them. We have State
Farm Auto insurance and the only reason that isn't GEICO is because my
wifes family has been with SF so long that they are almost paying us to
stay with them. They premium GEICO offered was about $50 a year less, but
we had a sure thing.

GIECO is a good company, and I can recommend them. Except in New Jersey.
--
>From the dungeons of the Warlock:
					      Chuck Von Rospach
					      ucbvax!amd70!packet!cfv
					      (chuqui@mit-mc)  <- obsolete!

larry@grkermit.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) (06/21/83)

	From: cfv@packet.UUCP
	Newsgroups: net.wanted
	Subject: Re: GEICO auto insurance
	Date: Sun, 19-Jun-83 19:56:10 EDT

	The Insurance commission in New Jersey is an elected (and political)
	office.

I've been voting in NJ for two years and following elections for a lot longer
than that and I have never heard of an election for insurance commissioner.
I'm almost certain that its an appointed position?  Anyone else know?
--
Larry Kolodney
(USENET)

(ARPA)  rms.g.lkk@mit-ai

leichter@yale-com.UUCP (06/21/83)

I have GEICO here in Connecticut and have been reasonably satisfied; however,
I've never had to make a claim.  (At on point they screwed up the policy -
but it was in my favor!)

GEICO is not available everywhere; as others have pointed out, you can't get
it in New Jersey.  You also can't get it in Massachusetts.  If I remember
right, there is also one other state so blessed, but I don't know which it
is.
						-- Jerry
					decvax!yale-comix!leichter leichter@yale

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (06/22/83)

Whoops, supermarkets don't make 10 cents on the dollar.  More
like 1 (one) cent.
--
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!mark
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs