[comp.sys.ti] Hacking with a TI99/4A

killoran@umvlsi.ECS.UMASS.EDU (Mik I Killoran) (02/05/89)

I have a TI99/4A that I would like to get some use out of.  Has anyone
out there ever used one for a non-standard purpose?  Such as burgular
alarm, house control, etc?  Is there a way to software control one of
the output pins on the side of the computer?  Any ideas are welcome!

                            Thanks, Mik Killoran

kyriazis@rpics (George Kyriazis) (02/05/89)

In article <55@umvlsi.ECS.UMASS.EDU> killoran@umvlsi.ECS.UMASS.EDU (Mik I Killoran) writes:
>I have a TI99/4A that I would like to get some use out of.  Has anyone
>out there ever used one for a non-standard purpose?  Such as burgular
>alarm, house control, etc?  Is there a way to software control one of
>the output pins on the side of the computer?  Any ideas are welcome!
>
>                            Thanks, Mik Killoran

You can mess around with the cassette and the joystick port.
You'll have to write some assembly though.  If I'm not mistaken, the joystick
can be controlled from basic (if you have mini memory), but I can't
remember too much.  I haven't used my TI for a while...

  George Kyriazis
  kyriazis@turing.cs.rpi.edu
  kyriazis@rdrc.rpi.edu
------------------------------

paulc@hpgrla.HP.COM (@Paul Charlton) (02/08/89)

>I have a TI99/4A that I would like to get some use out of.  Has anyone
>out there ever used one for a non-standard purpose?  Such as burgular
>alarm, house control, etc?  Is there a way to software control one of
>the output pins on the side of the computer?  Any ideas are welcome!
>
>                            Thanks, Mik Killoran

as a minimum, you have to have assembly language support, BASIC won't do it.
A "mini-memory" cartridge has the basic prerequisites for an un-expanded TI
system.  The port on the side of the computer has a full address and
data bus, so memory mapped devices are pretty easy to control.
Other possibilities (if you only need a few control lines) are to
control the cassette port or joystick port (each has two output pins)

 PaulC

 mail me at:
 { paulc@hpgrai.hp.com } | { hplabs!hpgrai!paulc }

gould@csm9a.UUCP (Denver) (02/08/89)

In article <55@umvlsi.ECS.UMASS.EDU>, killoran@umvlsi.ECS.UMASS.EDU (Mik I Killoran) writes:
> I have a TI99/4A that I would like to get some use out of.  Has anyone
> out there ever used one for a non-standard purpose?  Such as burgular
> alarm, house control, etc?  Is there a way to software control one of
> the output pins on the side of the computer?  Any ideas are welcome!
>
>                             Thanks, Mik Killoran

Some time ago, Triton Products advertised software and hardware to
control electrical outlets, and or alarms. It all plugged into the
TI console, and had graphic layouts of rooms and appliance locations.
I don't know if they still carry it though.

Does anyone know where I can find a P-box cheap?

root@evecs.UUCP (Admin) (02/13/89)

The best use for a TI99/4A is TO LOGO
TI has one of the best LOGOs around. The sprites and
color make it very interesting.

--
Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
West Hartford, CT -- School Switchboard (203) 243-4100