[comp.sys.ti] Myarc Geneve

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Charles Hobbs) (06/23/89)

I've seen the Myarc Geneve mentioned here.

Does anyone have any information about it? Is it like the (never-released)
TI 99/8?

wsflinn@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Scott Flinn) (07/13/89)

In article <176@zip.eecs.umich.edu> chuck@dip.eecs.umich.edu.UUCP (Chuck A. Nicholas) writes:
                  [much good stuff deleted]

>It offers graphics capabilites superior to most other systems other than Amiga
>and very close to Atari ST.

I don't want to knock the graphics of the Atari St (I own one, and love it
dearly), but it is misleading to suggest that the Geneve's graphics are
in the same class ... IMHO they are far above.  Perhaps the simplest comparison
is the amount of information each machine can put on the screen.  Without using
ultra-tricky timing techniques (which are of no use to Most Normal People), the
Atari puts 32K of info on the screen (all graphics modes), while the Geneve
manages to display something like 108K in its highest modes.  I owned a
Geneve (Myarc 9640) for 4 months about two years ago (while the machine was
still in its very rocky stages), and my recollection may be faulty, but for
the record, I think the following is a fair comparison.  (Note that the Geneve
has *oodles* of graphics modes ... only a few are described).

      Atari ST                                    Myarc Geneve