[comp.sys.ti] It's general question time! :-)

chuck@umiami.miami.edu (07/23/90)

Hello everyone.

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while now.  What's funny, however, is
that my TI is up in New Jersey, at home with my folx, probably collecting
dust.  I haven't touched it in about 3 years, and I'm not aware of any
advancements that may have taken place.  Anyway, I have a general question:
just how much stuff is available for the good old TI 99/4A these days?  For
example, can you do 80 columns with it nowadays?  How about the memory stuff -
can you use more than 48K now?  I know the things I ask are hardware
limitations, but I would think that someone out there might have found a way
to do this sort of thing.  And how about cost of these kind of things?  I have
the 4A, the peripheral box with mem expansion, two drives, a printer
buffer/clock card, and a regular old TV for a monitor.  If there seems to be a
lot of good stuff out there, maybe I'll bug my folx to ship that thing down to
me so I can put it to use.  I always wanted to learn assembler on it, anyway.
:-) Gosh, I got interested in computers programming in BASIC on that thing.
   Chuck Urwiler    University of Miami Music Engineering   Voice & Keys
chuck@umiami-Vax                | "Sometimes the one thing that you're
chuck@umiamivm-Ibm              | looking for, is the last thing on your
chuck@miavax.ir.miami.edu-Unix  |  mind"
chuck@umiami.miami.edu-Internet |       -Robbie Nevil
Disclaimer: I only work and learn at this University. I don't speak for it!

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (07/27/90)

In article <6605.26aae689@umiami.miami.edu>, chuck@umiami.miami.edu writes:
> Hello everyone.

Hi yourself.

> I've been reading this newsgroup for a while now.  What's funny, however, is
> that my TI is up in New Jersey, at home with my folx, probably collecting
> dust.  I haven't touched it in about 3 years, and I'm not aware of any
> advancements that may have taken place.

Well, just a few....

> Anyway, I have a general question:
> just how much stuff is available for the good old TI 99/4A these days?  For
> example, can you do 80 columns with it nowadays?

Yes. DIJIT AVPC card uses the newer 9938 VDP (same as the Geneve uses) for
full 80 column support. It's a help with communications programs and
SOME commercial software can take advantage of it but by and large, it's
just gonna sit there. Asgard is bringing back the Mechatronics 80 column
card in the near future as well.

> How about the memory stuff -
> can you use more than 48K now?

RAM is still limited to 48k for the TI but there are several RAMcards
available that are configured as RAMdrives, making floppy access
necessary only for long-term saving of data. The Geneve is a 512k
machine with RAM expansion possible.

>I know the things I ask are hardware
> limitations, but I would think that someone out there might have found a way
> to do this sort of thing.  And how about cost of these kind of things?

Depends on where you go to buy. Contact Asgard for prices on the 80
column card. CorComp RAM cards can still be had from some sources,
Horizon and Myarc are selling RAMcards with the most developement
apparently coming from Horizon (Bud Mills Services).

> I have the 4A, the peripheral box with mem expansion, two drives, a printer
> buffer/clock card,

aNOTHER Triple Tech Owner!

> and a regular old TV for a monitor.  If there seems to be a
> lot of good stuff out there, maybe I'll bug my folx to ship that thing down to
> me so I can put it to use.  I always wanted to learn assembler on it, anyway.

Heck, there's even a small 'c' compiler for it courtesy of Clint Pulley!
All we REALLY need in the TI world is a Basic Compiler that works simply
and we would see a LOT of better programming show up. Give me a mailing
address and I'll send you Clints version of uuen/decode for the TI so
you can grab any binaries we move through this group

> :-) Gosh, I got interested in computers programming in BASIC on that thing.

10 FOR A=1 TO 10
20 PRINT "Me too! ";
30 NEXT A
40 PRINT :: PRINT :: PRINT
50 PRINT "                      *>> Dave <<*"
60 BREAK

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
[........use what works..........]