[comp.sys.ti] Myarc

daveh@ka3uzr.UUCP (Dave Hultberg ) (01/03/91)

I haven't seen much traffic here lately regarding the status of things
at Myarc.  Does anyone have any good rumors as to when a fully functional
MDOS will be available that supports the HFDC?  Any chance of ever seeing
the p-System?  I am still coasting along using MDOS 1.14 and a CC card
to control my floppies.  I was a rabid TI user when I first got my 9640
and HFDC, but after all the lousy support from Myarc I have seriously
considered chucking it for a messy dos machine.  Comments of flames
anyone?

    73 de Dave KA3UZR/WPE3HMT/ex-KHV8564    Fidonet: 1:270/101.28
    Packet: KA3UZR @ WB3EAH.PA.USA.NA             CI$: 72437,3215
    UUCP: uunet!rutgers!psuvax1!eds1!wa3wbu!compnect!ka3uzr!daveh

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (01/03/91)

In article <uFy6u1w163w@ka3uzr.UUCP>, daveh@ka3uzr.UUCP (Dave Hultberg  ) writes:
> I haven't seen much traffic here lately regarding the status of things
> at Myarc.  Does anyone have any good rumors as to when a fully functional
> MDOS will be available that supports the HFDC?

Paul blames Lou for the delays, Everybody blames Paul for the delays,
Lou is studiously avoiding everything.

> Any chance of ever seeing the p-System?

Rumor has it that we will see it right after Beelzebub [sic] learns to
ski. This is a point that rankles me no end. When I bought my Geneve (as
when you bought yours) it was advertized as INCLUDING the p-System. Last
I heard, the court action with Pecan and disagreements between then and
Lou had just about detroyed ANY chance of our ever seeing it.

> I am still coasting along using MDOS 1.14 and a CC card
> to control my floppies.  I was a rabid TI user when I first got my 9640
> and HFDC, but after all the lousy support from Myarc I have seriously
> considered chucking it for a messy dos machine.

As Dave knows, I have a Unix machine, an MS-DOS machine and 3 CP/M
multi-user machines in my home along with 1 Geneve, 2 full boat TI's and
3 or 4 spare consoles.  I am using the Geneve now almost exclusively as
a smart terminal to control a 386 Unix system via dial-up.  The only
decent software coming through for the Geneve has been coming from Clint
Pulley for MDOS .97h and won't perform properly with MDOS 1.14, which is
what I am using, same as Dave H.  I have put up with a crippled machine
just about long enough and am VERY close to selling my 2 full blown TI's
and all hardware they came with and just keeping the Geneve as a smart
terminal until it blows up.

> Comments of flames anyone?

This flame is for Myarc and is one I've been spraying for so long it
almost comes automatically now. We were sold a computer that was
incomplete but promised to be complete. Most warranties have long since
expired with NO promised software to make these system operate as
advertized when purchased. Calls to Myarc go consistantly unanswered or
with 9am - 5pm busy signals. Letters, yes even REGISTERED letters, go
unanswered/ignored. This company, Myarc Incorporated, has consistantly
crapped on the people who spent money in good faith on a system they
BELIEVED in and WANTED to succeed. It now appears that Myarc could care
less what we think, say or do. Lou Phillips was offerred FREE access
time on Delphi for a conference in which he could explain just what is
going on and tell us in plain english what, if anything, was planned for
the future. Not that anyone would necessarily believe what Lou had to
say (his 'coming in the next 3 weeks' explanation is infamous). Lou
ignored the invitation for nearly a month before he finally sent word
that he was 'too busy' to oblige. Hard Drive Controllers, RAM cards and
Geneve cards that were returned for warranty repairs often stay at Myarc
for VERY extended stays. One Delphi user reports his RAM card was at
Myarc for the Geneve upgrade modifications for nearly 2 years! Hard
drive cards returned for warranty repairs have come back to the owners
in the same condition as when they were sent to Myarc..... broken. I
had stayed with Myarc for this long because I wanted to be fair to Lou
and give him every chance to explain/apologize/reform/whatever.

So much for being fair.

Now I'm ready to get nasty.

> flame off <

I'd crosspost this to alt.flame but Lou isn't worth the effort. Come to
think of it, Lou isn't worth much of anything.

             *>> Dave <<*

[------------------------------------------------------ Dave Ratcliffe -----]
: uunet!rutgers!psuvax1!eds1!wa3wbu!compnect!dave   | The Data Factory BBS  :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave                        |    (717)657-4997      :
: dave@compnect.uucp or compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET  |    (717)657-4992      :
[------------------------------------------------------ Harrisburg  Pa. ----]

jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu (James Hess) (01/04/91)

In article <897@compnect.UUCP> dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) writes:

>This flame is for Myarc and is one I've been spraying for so long it
>almost comes automatically now. We were sold a computer that was
>incomplete but promised to be complete. Most warranties have long since
>expired with NO promised software to make these system operate as
>advertized when purchased. Calls to Myarc go consistantly unanswered or
>with 9am - 5pm busy signals. Letters, yes even REGISTERED letters, go
>unanswered/ignored. This company, Myarc Incorporated, has consistantly
>crapped on the people who spent money in good faith on a system they
>BELIEVED in and WANTED to succeed.

>had stayed with Myarc for this long because I wanted to be fair to Lou
>and give him every chance to explain/apologize/reform/whatever.
>
>So much for being fair.
>
>Now I'm ready to get nasty.
>
>> flame off <

At the risk of sounding anti-socially rational, I would guess that what
happened was some well-intentioned enthuasiasts with some big dreams started
a company to pick-up where TI left off and called it MYARC.  They probably
didn't have the business background or the resources to do a proper market
survey to see whether they could make it go.  So sales weren't large enough to
make them enough money to hire a proper-sized staff.  Now they're always behind
schedule and behind on money.

A regular business at this point would cut their losses and move on (e.g. Texas
Instruments).  Lou, however, either has too much emotional investment in the
whole thing or some sense of ethical commitment to his customers that keeps him
plugging along, however badly he does it.

This is not to say the flame is unjustified, but that poor performance doesn't
necessarily imply a bad attitude.  'The road to hell is paved with good
intentions...'

I don't know Lou and haven't dealt with MYARC, so I don't speak from specific
knowledge.  Rather, I speak from the general knowledge of someone who owned a
small business and learned in the school of hard knocks the dangers of
promising more than I could deliver.

You probably need to make the decision that Lou apparently can't, and give up
on MYARC, or find some way of getting him the additional resources needed to
fulfill MYARC's promises.

J. Hess

stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (01/04/91)

writes:

>I was a rabid TI user when I first got my 9640
>and HFDC, but after all the lousy support from Myarc I have seriously
>considered chucking it for a messy dos machine.  Comments of flames
>anyone?

Sounds like a familiar story...I got smart, and got a used MacII.
For the money ($3400 for 8mb memory, 13"color monitor/color card
AND a 150mb hd [a bitch to back up tho]), I feel pretty good.

Of course, your milage will vary. Check out misc.hardware.for.sale.

James
stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu

stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (01/06/91)

>Of course, your milage will vary. Check out misc.hardware.for.sale.
>
>James
>stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu

Oopss...make that misc.computers.for.sale - :^)

James