    From houxi!floyd!ucbvax!MAILER-DAEMON Fri Jun 17 03:49:55 1983
    Date: 16 Jun 83  16:36:47 EDT  (Thu)
    Date: 13 Jun 83  11:01:38 EDT  (Mon)

    From: ucbvax!MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
    Subject: Returned mail: Cannot send message for 3 days
    To: floyd!houxi!hou5f!pgf

    mitchell@shasta... Connecting to shasta.tcp...
    mitchell@shasta... Deferred: Connection timed out
    mitchell@shasta... Cannot send message for 3 days

       ----- Unsent message follows -----

       .
       etc.

    Can anyone tell me how to get mail to someone on Shasta?  (It must be
    possible, he got mail to me!)
					Paul Fox, ABI Holmdel NJ (201)834-2064
					houx?!hou5f!pgf

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (06/24/83)

Shasta is an interesting case.  The management there insists that their
right to their upper case "S" is more important than being able to
exchange mail with other sites.  This is complicated by the lower case
tradition on UUCP and a misfeature of 4.1BSD's delivermail program which
translates upper case to lower case.

In your case, the translation from Shasta to shasta happens because you
routed your mail through a 4.1BSD machine (floyd).  Try routing through
ihnp4, for example.

I also think (but am not sure) that Shasta can be accessed from the
ARPANET with a syntax such as
	user%Shasta@Sumex.ARPA
using Sumex as a gateway and % as a fake @ sign.  I am unsure of the
case sensitive situation here - RFC 822 claims it shouldn't matter
in host names.

Other machines have links to shasta (lower case) - eagle comes to mind.