[comp.sys.ti] TI 99/4A

frameli@dpdmai.dec.com (Vernon Dale Frameli) (06/10/88)

                   I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:      10-Jun-1988 09:17am CDT
                                        From:      Vernon Dale Frameli @DPD
                                                   FRAMELI.DALE
                                        Dept:      Call Management Centre
                                        Tel No:    1-214-484-0420

Subject: ti99/4a

        hi guys,

           i'm trying to help a friend of mine. he has a texas instruments
        ti99/4a, and is looking for a list of vendors who still cater to the
        ti99 crowd. i subscribed to this newgroup about a month ago, but
        haven't seen anything. is there anybody out there?

                                              dale frameli
                                              digital equipment corp

skilby@ucqais.uc.edu (Steven Kilby) (12/25/89)

I have a TI 99/4A for sale.  The system includes memory expansion box, disk
drive & card, memory expansion card, color monitor, scores of game cartridges,
the Editor/Assembler software package, TI-writer, Talk 4/A communications
package w/ 300 baud modem, TI extended basic, and some odds and ends.

BEST OFFER!

     Please respond by e-mail.  Thanks.

                                            Steven Kilby
                                            skilby@ucqais.uc.edu

bfowler@pbs.uucp (06/08/90)

This is my first attempt to input a msg into News, so here it goes.
Anyone on the net still have a TI 99\4A or Myarc 9640 they are using
or have in their closet. The TI 4A is still alive even after Texas
Instruments dropped us years ago. I do run a TI/9640 BBS locally here in
Washington DC and if you are interested will post the BBS nbr.
Bob (Sysop of the BBBB)

young@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Mike Young) (06/09/90)

In article <9057.266f66d7@pbs.uucp> bfowler@pbs.uucp writes:
>Anyone on the net still have a TI 99\4A or Myarc 9640 they are using
>or have in their closet. The TI 4A is still alive even after Texas

	There  must be at least a dozen of us on the net, judging
by the traffic in this newsgroup! :-) Please, post away.

--
						Mike Young KA9HZE
						Purdue University EE Dept.

guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) (06/09/90)

TI systems are few and far between, I'm positive there are less than 100
operating as BBS, at least in the states, but that could very well include
the rest of the planet.

I'll look through my stuff, and see if I can't find my list of TI systems.

For a while there was a (VERY RARE) pirate TI system in Pennslyvania, that
was very well made and run, and it fell off the face of the planet, as far as
I am aware of.

I did a re-write of Citadel with Chris George's blassing and run it, but
I need to get another RD to run it, as it's VERY disk intensive.

PETERSO@gecrdvm1.crd.ge.com (06/10/90)

I'm Here, although my ti-99 is packed away, and I am interested in learning as
much as I can.

chuck@umiami.miami.edu (06/12/90)

In article <9057.266f66d7@pbs.uucp>, bfowler@pbs.uucp writes:
> This is my first attempt to input a msg into News, so here it goes.
> Anyone on the net still have a TI 99\4A or Myarc 9640 they are using
> or have in their closet. The TI 4A is still alive even after Texas
> Instruments dropped us years ago. I do run a TI/9640 BBS locally here in
> Washington DC and if you are interested will post the BBS nbr.
> Bob (Sysop of the BBBB)

As I think most will agree, we're all looking for someone with some more
info about the TI 99/4A!  That's why we all read this newsgroup. ;-)

   Chuck Urwiler    University of Miami Music Engineering   Voice & Keys
 chuck@umiami              | This space for rent...
 e1mvqi9z@umiamivm         |
 chuck@umiami.miami.edu    |
 chuck@miavax.ir.miami.edu |
Disclaimer: I only work and learn at this University. I don't speak for it!

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (06/12/90)

In article <9057.266f66d7@pbs.uucp>, bfowler@pbs.uucp writes:
> This is my first attempt to input a msg into News, so here it goes.

  Uh oh...... there goes the neighborhood :-)

> Anyone on the net still have a TI 99\4A or Myarc 9640 they are using
> or have in their closet. The TI 4A is still alive even after Texas
> Instruments dropped us years ago. I do run a TI/9640 BBS locally here in
> Washington DC and if you are interested will post the BBS nbr.
> Bob (Sysop of the BBBB)

You KNOW that Dave H and I are here and there have been a couple others
posting intermittantly over the past few months. Welcome to the Big
Time!

          *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
:   compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET   :...........................................]
[........use what works..........]

In article <3065@crash.cts.com>, guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) writes:

> TI systems are few and far between, I'm positive there are less than 100
> operating as BBS, at least in the states, but that could very well include
> the rest of the planet.

Gee, I wonder what all those BBS's with TI programs and messages are
that I've been calling :-)

> For a while there was a (VERY RARE) pirate TI system in Pennslyvania, that
> was very well made and run, and it fell off the face of the planet, as far as
> I am aware of.

Really? I'd be interested in more info on this one if you can dig it up.
Haven't heard anything about a system of that sort here in Pennsylvania.

> I did a re-write of Citadel with Chris George's blassing and run it, but
> I need to get another RD to run it, as it's VERY disk intensive.

We have a hard disk controller available now for both TI and Geneve.
Could your Citadel porting run on either a TI or a Geneve in GPL mode
with the hard drive? Inquiring minds and all that....

          *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
:   compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET   :...........................................]
[........use what works..........]

guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) (06/12/90)

So, what do you want to know, I still activly support the TI, no other
discontinued model has ever gotten so much support after being pulled
from the shelf.

Software? Equipment? Tips?

Ya gotta ask first....

I'm looking for a good RD that's very reliable and directly addressible as
a disk name.  (DSK.RD.filename)

I thinks it's V 3.3, anyway, I have the lastest archiver update....

guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) (06/14/90)

I'm not sure, as I have not tried it...

It's the normal XBASIC with everything important done in assembly.

little time, as I don't have a copy to be passed around.

There are still little bugs and glitches, and it's extremly disk intensive.

young@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Mike Young) (06/14/90)

In article <3145@crash.cts.com> guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) writes:

>I'm not sure, as I have not tried it...
>
>It's the normal XBASIC with everything important done in assembly.
>

>little time, as I don't have a copy to be passed around.
>
>There are still little bugs and glitches, and it's extremly disk intensive.

	I need a clue. I wonder what subject Paula was responding to...
is there a thread going that I've managed to miss entirely???
--
						Mike Young KA9HZE
						Purdue University EE Dept.

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (06/14/90)

In article <3122@crash.cts.com>, guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) writes:

> I'm looking for a good RD that's very reliable and directly addressible as
> a disk name.  (DSK.RD.filename)

From latest MICROpendium issue:

			RAMdisk Manufacturers

CorComp 512k card: 	CorComp Inc. 2211-G Winston Rd. Anaheim, CA. 92806
			Phone (714)956-4450

Grand RAM:		DataBioTics, P.O. Box 1194, Palos Verdes Estates, CA.
			900274 Phone (213)867-0481 or (213)925-2120

Horizon RAMdisk:	Bud Mills Services, 166 Dartmouth Dr. Toledo OH.
			43614 Phone (419)385-5946

Myarc 512k Card:	Myarc Inc. P.O. Box 140, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
			Phone (205)854-5843

Quest			Hunter Valley Users Group, 9 Thirlmere Pde., Tarro,
			New South Wales, 2322, Australia

This should be enough to get you started in the right direction. From past
experience, the GrandRAM is one to be avoided. This is because of many
promised, and MISSED delivery dates (just ask the Dallas UG). If you
have a Geneve, you're pretty much limited to the Myarc card but if all
you want is a RAMdisk in MDOS, you really don't need one since you can
configure a RAMdrive out of existing RAM.

> I thinks it's V 3.3, anyway, I have the lastest archiver update....

I think something was lost in your message. This line was hanging out by
itself and doesn't relate to anything above or below it. Just thought
you should know.

rschmidt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun14.135159.8889@ecn.purdue.edu> young@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Mike Young) writes:
>In article <3145@crash.cts.com> guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) writes:
>
>	I need a clue. I wonder what subject Paula was responding to...
>is there a thread going that I've managed to miss entirely???
>--
>						Mike Young KA9HZE

I'm with you, Mike!  Looks like half of a conversation.  Did she know
that she was broadcasting to the net rather than a tet-a-tet?
-----------------------------------------------------------       ^
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>           | |
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts,        | |
Graduate School of Business |     and you can't have them,      <   >
Bloomington                 |     so there! */                    X
___________________________________________________________       X

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (06/16/90)

In article <3145@crash.cts.com>, guhsd000@crash.cts.com (Paula Ferris) writes:

> I'm not sure, as I have not tried it...
>
> It's the normal XBASIC with everything important done in assembly.
>

> little time, as I don't have a copy to be passed around.
>
> There are still little bugs and glitches, and it's extremly disk intensive.

Paula,

      Just a suggestion but you might want to consider including the
original message to which you are replying in case what you have to say
is of interest to others. If I had not seen the reference to compnect in
the reference line, I would have not known that I had been a part of
this thread.

RE: the bbs software, what level disk access does it require? Might it
be used with level 3 access with TI-DOS on a 4A? (thinking of use with
the Myarc HFDC)?

Sounds interesting.....

              *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
:   compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET   :...........................................]
[........use what works..........]

macross@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Adamson) (07/20/90)

00100

00600	sunny California), and I

01300	area, I'd love to hear about

01500	(did that come out>??) This term
01600	really stinks!

01800	e-mail (only!) to

02000
02100	(apologies for 40-col & typing)

young@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Mike Young) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul20.035451.20896@portia.Stanford.EDU> macross@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Adamson) writes:
>00100
>

>00600	sunny California), and I
>

>01300	area, I'd love to hear about
>
>01500	(did that come out>??) This term
>01600	really stinks!
>
>01800	e-mail (only!) to
>
>02000
>02100	(apologies for 40-col & typing)

	Sorry, Chris, but whatever you were trying to do didn't work...
At least it didn't make it out here. (got snagged on the Rockies? :-)

--
    |  Mike Young KA9HZE		|	young@ecn.purdue.edu	|
    |  Purdue University EE Dept.	|	...!pur-ee!young	|

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul20.035451.20896@portia.Stanford.EDU>, macross@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chris Adamson) writes:
> 00100
[ ... ]
> 00600	sunny California), and I
[ ... ]
> 01300	area, I'd love to hear about
[ ... ]
> 01500	(did that come out>??) This term
> 01600	really stinks!
[ ... ]
> 01800	e-mail (only!) to
[ ... ]
> 02000
> 02100	(apologies for 40-col & typing)

Uh oh..... Looks like someones system barfed up a hairball with a semi-message
attached :-)

Wonder if this even had anything to do with TI??

            *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
:   compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET   :...........................................]
[........use what works..........]

stevem@gold.gvg.tek.com (Steve Miller) (02/06/91)

Hello fellow 99/4 users.

	I have a 99/4 set up that I no longer use and would like to sell
	it to someone who would put it to good use.  Right now it is
	just collecting dust.  Everything still works, and is really a
	good deal for a beginning user that cannot afford a comparable
	PC type system.  Also, it never hurts to have extra parts for
	those of you that already have a system.  Here's the scoop:

	1  99/4A console.  Modified to provide direct audio/video output
		Includes RF adapter, though never used.
	1  9" color monitor.  Sony trinitron, fairly old, but works and
		looks good.  Has direct audio/video inputs.
	1  Expansion box.  With single 5 1/4" floppy drive plus all cables.
	1  32KB memory expansion card installed in expansion box.
	1  Speech synthesizer module.
	2  Joy sticks, one is a modifyed one, the other is a very good
		one especially made for the TI, I thik it is called a
		Pro Stick (tm).  Comes with 'Y' adapter cables.
	All manuals that came with it, including a full hardware manual
	   with all schematics.  The software that follows has all the
	   manuals also.  I never bootlegged anything, though some games
	   are from user-groups and were public domain.

	1  each of the following software cartridges:
		Extended basic - a fun and educational language
		Editor / Assembler - allows assembly language programming
		Terminal emulator II
		Disk manager II
		Personal Real estate
		Home Financial Decisions
		Multiplication 1
		Addition and Subtraction 1
		Addition and Subtraction 2
		Household budget management
		Munchman
		Football
		The attack
		Hunt-the-wumpus
		Blasto

	Other software on disks:
		Teach yourself basic
		Editor / Assembler
		TI Forth
		Atari games
		wizard of oz
		numerous misc games
		A good stash of re-usable 5 1/4" diskettes.

This setup lasted my sons for a long time and taught them the basics.
(Now they have a PC-AT  :-)  )  The speech synthesizer is especially fun
for kids.  I would like $325 for the whole shebang, which includes shipping
anywhere in the 48 states.  (there is lots of stuff to ship. :-)  I
will also entertain best offers.  I would rather not split it up, but may,
so don't hesitate to make an offer.  Post, Email, voice, or land works equally
well.  Thanks, and good luck to you TI'ers out there hoping for new and
better equipment for the machine that was ahead of its time.

Steve Miller
142 Carpenter st.
Grass Valley, Ca.  95945
916-477-1326
stevem@gold.gvg.tek.com

Steve Miller                   /^\       <--BLUE-->      /^\
Grass Valley Group           /    \     /^\     /^\    /    \ <--GREEN
Grass Valley, CA. 95959    /       \ _/    \   /   \ /       \______________
stevem@gold.gvg.tek.com  ~~         \       \/     / In the Sierra Foothills
Everyone refuses to share my opinions, and GVG is no exception.

beatlfan@leland.Stanford.EDU (Mark Walsh) (04/10/91)

The following is available from me:

2 TI 99/4A computers.  (One is the Silver/Black case, the other is the newer,
	tan ? case)

That big expansion box with extra memory in it.  (I'm not sure how much)
An external floppy drive.  (I don't know the capacity, sorry)

Various manuals.

About 8 games on cartridge.
A word processor.  (I don't know which one, sorry)

Tapes and other junk.

I picked up all this for $50 about 7 years ago.  I though I would use it then,
but never did.  It is taking up LOTS of space.

I would like to pass it on to someone who can use it more than I.  I assume
that everything works, but really only used it one time, about 7 years ago.

I am accepting any offers of shipping costs (this stuff is HEAVY).  I'd also
be happy if you have ANYTHING I can use in trade.  I'm not talking anything
expensive, I will accept a six-pack of cheap beer if it is the best offer I
get.  (I'd be especially pleased if someone out there is a 99 4/A freak who
also collects movies on LaserDisc, and has a few that he/she doesn't want.)

So, go for it.  Can you use this stuff?  Make me an offer.  Got nothing to
offer in trade (I'm not picky!), let me know that you are interested.  Do you
have a good use for this stuff, tell me!

I will send it off to whoever gives me the best story.  (Either a tempting
trade or a good use for the equipment.)

Let me know that you would like this stuff.

Mark
beatlfan@portia.stanford.edu
beatlfan@leland.stanford.edu