[comp.sys.atari.8bit] I need cheap RS-232

andy@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Andy Pfiffer) (11/15/86)

I've got an old 800 and I'd like to add an RS-232 port.  What's the cheapest
solution?  Does anyone know where I can get an 850 *cheap*?  Or how about
the latest, greatest box to convert the serial (or joystick) port to RS-232
signal levels?

The emphasis is on cost...I'll write driver code if I have to...
You see, there's this 3B2 and DMD-5620 sitting on my dining table and I'd
really like to get them talking...

	Andy Pfiffer
	Cornell Theory Center
	(607) 255-8686

	cornell!batcomputer!andy
	andy@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (11/15/86)

In article <1506@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, andy@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Andy Pfiffer) writes:
> I've got an old 800 and I'd like to add an RS-232 port.  What's the cheapest
> solution?  Does anyone know where I can get an 850 *cheap*?  Or how about
> the latest, greatest box to convert the serial (or joystick) port to RS-232
> signal levels?
>
> The emphasis is on cost...I'll write driver code if I have to...
> You see, there's this 3B2 and DMD-5620 sitting on my dining table and I'd
> really like to get them talking...

> 	cornell!batcomputer!andy
> 	andy@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

 The cheapest way to go is to build your own.  You can get the parts
from either B & C or American TV in Calif.  If you don't want to build
your own then I would suggest the PR connnection from ICD.  It sells
for around $70.  It comes with a printer port, and 2 serial ports.  It
works with any software that uses the 850.

		Marc

 --
Marc L. Appelbaum
Arpa: appelbaum@blue.RUTGERS.EDU  or MARC@AIM.RUTGERS.EDU