Date: Friday, 28 Nov 1986 07:09:30-PST
From: curzon%kaoa01.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: terminal programs
Subj:	to marshall abrams/term packs

Marshall:

     Yes, I got my terminal emulator working pretty well; it emulates VT52
though, not VT100.  It includes a potpourri from Usenet: Michael Jenkins
80 column device (from VT52.ACT that he posted; Palevich's program, and
Bruce Langdon's XMODEM.ACT.)

     David Young came out with his VT100 emulator with KERMIT (and
XMODEM), which was everything I wanted for using my VAX from home.  It
has redefinable keys, genuine macros, very nice.  So I redefined my
objectives: what I have now is a fairly good package for talking to
local FIDO type BBS (ASCII) systems.  I added phone list, and round
robin dial/redial capabilities.  I have dropped the KERMIT, and added
XMODEM.

     I would recommend David Youngs Omniview/Omnincom package for your
use.  However, the characters are still graphics 8.  On an ordinary
B&W, you may still have to squint to distinguish S and 5, etc.  The
only way to get around that on an 8 bit (as far as I know) is to use a
package like Chameleon, where the text is in graphics 0, and you have
to scroll right/left to see the full 80 columns.  Unless of course you
spring for the price of a monitor!  If you are interested in my
program, I would be glad to send you the sources (in the Action
language).

				Dick Curzon
				Digital Equipment of Canada
                                PO Box 13000
                                Kanata Ontario      K2K 2A6
                                Canada.

(DEC E-NET)	KAOA01::CURZON
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!kaoa01.dec.com!curzon
(ARPA)		curzon%kaoa01.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 86 04:08:54 GMT
From: zen!cory.Berkeley.EDU!flynn@cad.Berkeley.EDU  (Sean Ludlow Flynn)
Subject: Termcap and BASIC prog for PR connectio
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

A friend was going to mail a termcap and a program to run it to some
PR connection owner out there (KAREN was the mailer).  Now she has
lost her account and the address of whom to mail it to.  So let's try
this again.  Whoever you are that wants to use vi, send me the address
and I will send you the files.

	 In mail, use Subject: atari

------------------------------

Date: 28 Nov 86 22:42:29 GMT
From: tektronix!tekgen!tekigm!tekigm2!wrd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Bill Dippert)
Subject: Chroma Output
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

On the 1200XL, there is no connection made to pin 5 -- which should be the
composite chroma pin.  A similar situation exists on the 800XL which the
Chicagoland Atari Users Group has provided a solution.  Does anyone know if a
similar solutions exists for the 1200XL?  Presumably, somewhere on the main
board is a place where a 75/200 ohm resistor could be attached and run over to
pin 5.  I have wondered about the lack of anything going to pin 5 on my
1200XL's for sometime, but it was not until this week that I tried them out on
a monitor that will accept either composite or separated video.  The 1200XL
works fine on composite video, but when connecting it for separated video, you
get a black and white screen only, no color (chroma)!  I hesitate to merely
connect pin 4 to pin 5 as I believe that this would merely give one composite
video again.  I am using a C.Itoh CM1000 monitor for my testing, altho a
Commodore 1702 would probably show the same results.  Am using  a 5 pin DIN
connector with four RCA outlets plugs on it for connecting between the monitor
and the monitor jacks on the computers.

Note to John Sangster:  the 200 ohm resistor works fine on the C.Itoh monitor,
apparently there is some difference between it and the way the Commodore 1702
is wired for separated video.  May try later to reduce the 200 ohm to 75 ohm,
but am not sure about the remainder of your suggestions.

Has anyone access to schematics, etc. that they could look up and see if there
is a point analogous to the R67/R68 point on the 800XL -- on the 1200XL.  If
there is then the same solution could be installed.  Has anyone else out there
tried to use separated video on a color monitor with a 1200XL and if so, what
happened?  Did you in fact get b & w or color?  If color, how did you or where
did you get the chroma signal?

Thanks in advance,
--Bill Dippert--
tektronix!tekigm2!wrd