Date: 3 Dec 86 19:36:39 GMT
From: imagen!atari!neil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Neil Harris)
Subject: Testing...
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

Just testing to see if anyone is alive in this topic.  I have not seen any
postings since it was begun.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"Loose chips sink ships."

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 86 04:56:44 GMT
From: appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu  (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Subject: Re: Testing...
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <475@atari.UUcp>, neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) writes:
> Just testing to see if anyone is alive in this topic.  I have not seen any
> postings since it was begun.
> --
> --->Neil @ Atari

Oh Neil, where out here!  What's going on with the new 1200 buad
modem?  Also I heard a rumor that you could upgrade the 1030 modem to
1200 baud.  Any comments.

		Marc--
|============================================================================|
|Marc L. Appelbaum                         "Insanity is just a state of mind"|
|Arpa: marc@aim.rutgers.edu                    Uucp:rutgers!ru-blue!appelbaum|

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari8 Digest
**************************
-------

ADELEON@HMCVAX.BITNET ("Arnold de Leon") (12/06/86)

Yeah, there are users out here.  Neil, what's happening with the XEP-80?
Same with 1200 baud modem.

Also anyone out there using 256K 800XLs?  Like with extram mem is great.
We are currently attempting to modify a unsocketed machine.  So far it's
been a big pain.  Anyone who has experience with it, comment please.

                                        Arnold
                                                ADELEON@HMCVAX

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (12/12/86)

The following question was included in a recent Atari8 Digest:
>"Also anyone out there using 256K 800XLs?  Like with extram mem is great.
>We are currently attempting to modify a unsocketed machine.  So far it's
>been a big pain.  Anyone who has experience with it, comment please."
>                                       "Arnold
>                                                ADELEON@HMCVAX"
I thought that the following reply might be of general interest to the Net,
especially the fairly detailed instructions on removing IC chips.
-John S.
============

I have been using a Newell 256KXL board with CDY's OMNIVIEW256 for many months
now and it is hard to imagine how people get along without big buffers and
RAMdisks.  It is especially nice to have the convenience of a RAMdisk that is
resident in the machine itself (in OMNIVIEW256) because it works with
absolutely any DOS just as though you really had another disk drive.
(But of course a zillion times faster than a real disk drive.)
The built-in 80-column capabilities you get with OMNIVIEW and CDY's nice
application software like OmniCom and OmniWriter (80-column Terminal Emulator
and Word Processor, respectively) don't hurt a bit, either.  Also it's a
pleasure to never need the "Translator Disk" again!

As for unsocketed machines, yes, it is a pain to have to remove the memory
chips, but it can be done safely and easily IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN HOW
AND GET THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT FIRST.  I recommend that you get the following
things before attempting the job:

	1.  A good low-wattage soldering iron like an Ungar with about
		a 30 to 40-watt, small sized tip.
	2.  A "Solder Sucker" or "Soldapullt" vacuum-generating device
		to remove excess solder.
	3.  A roll of "Solder-Wick" to soak up the last little bit of
		solder.
	4.  A roll of Ersin Multicore 60/40 solder or other high-quality
		solder (but if it's not Ersin or maybe Kester, you are
		on your own, Buster).

The thing to remember is that the BIGGEST DANGER is that you will overheat the
etched wiring and cause its adhesive to fail so that it comes loose from the
board.  If that happens you will either have a badly botched-up board or else
you will have a brand-new board, at YOUR EXPENSE.  So above all, KEEP IT
COOL!!!  Use the least amount of heat you can get away with.  This means using
every other trick in the book to make the job go smoothly with little applied
heat.

If you don't need the chips (e.g. 64K RAM chips) then they are a throwaway
item and the SAFEST thing you can do is to snip off all their pins at the
top with a pair of "dikes" (diagonal side-cutting pliers).  Then take a pair
of needle-nosed pliers and gently pull out the snipped-off pins from the top
while heating the individual pads from the foil side (the etched wiring side)
of the board.  With this method you need very little heat at all, because as
soon as the solder on the individual pad you are working on melts, the pin
pulls out easily and you can (and should) immediately remove the heat.
You will still need the solder sucker or AT LEAST the Solder Wick to remove
the residual solder so you can put in the new chips or sockets for them, so
read REMOVING SOLDER below.

When you have gotten better at unsoldering ICs (and if you are a cheapskate
like me who can't bear to throw away 64K RAM chips), then it is perfectly
possible to remove the whole chip at a time.  But first, you need to remove
as much of the solder holding it in place as you can.

REMOVING SOLDER.  First, go around the chip with your solder-sucker and
soldering iron.  For each pad: heat the pad carefully and (I recommend this)
ADD some small amount of solder to make sure the solder is well supplied with
flux and able to flow freely.  AS SOON AS you have done this, ZAP the hole in
the pad with your solder-sucker.  (To the novices, the SoldaPullt type of
gadget is a spring-loaded piston device that pops out when released and draws
in a stream of air -- and solder -- at high velocity.  It is VERY effective at
removing solder if you have the solder heated and supplied with flux from the
new solder and you release the spring at this critical moment with its
intake tip right on top of the pad you are heating.  It's a little tricky but
not too hard to learn how to do.)

IMMEDIATELY remove the heat and inspect the hole.  If you did everything
right, the IC pin will be nearly free of solder and at most sticking to the
hole at one point.  Now you can usually free it by wiggling it or at worst
do one more heating step with the Solder Wick to absorb the last vestiges of
solder, then wiggle the pin loose.

Go around each chip like this until all pins on the chip are as free of solder
as you can easily get them and all or most of them are also unstuck.  If there
are one or two holdouts, you can either repeat the process with the Solder
Wick or else heat the troublesome pins once more as you pry the IC out of the
board with a small screwdriver placed under one end of it and then the other.
You should have the IC out of the board and both board and IC undamaged, in
a minute or so per IC when you get good at this procedure.  All it takes is
having the right equipment and being careful to do ALMOST ANYTHING other than
using excessive heat.

Once you have removed the chips, I would recommend installing sockets before
putting in the new chips.  Then you'll never again have to run the risk of
damaging the board by unsoldering a chip in the future.  Again, be careful of
heat when installing either chips or sockets.  Use ENOUGH but NOT TOO MUCH
solder.  NOTE:  A good way to remove excess solder when installing chips is
to heat the pads from underneath and let the excess roll down the tip of the
soldering iron.  Surface tension takes care of retaining just about the right
amount.

If you are unusually thumb-fingered or have maniacal self-destructive
tendencies, you had best let someone else remove your IC chips, but otherwise,
if you follow the above instructions you will probably do just fine.

Just "KEEP IT COOL!"

-John Sangster
jhs@MITRE_bedford.arpa