[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Hippo Software woes

med@druhi.UUCP (DrapalME) (12/16/86)

< and the line eater bursts into flame...  >

******************* SEVERE FLAME WARNING *********************
	The contents of the message should contain a
	warning from the Surgeon General.

For those of you who like to see the punch line before you start:

	DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PURCHASE ANY PIECE OF SOFTWARE
	OR HARDWARE FROM HIPPOPOTAMUS SOFTWARE OF LOS GATOS, CA.

Now for the reasons why:

	On August 1, this year, I was foolish enough to purchase an EPROM
programmer from Hippopotamus Software from a very reputable mail order
company.  After receiving it a week later, I discovered that the only
operation that this programmer could do was to verify that EPROMS were
erased (really functional, huh :-( ).  So, I called up Hippopotamus and
asked what the policy was.  They indicated that they had discovered some
hardware and software problems with the programmer recently, and asked if
I would send both back to them for repair.  So I did.

	After about 5 weeks of waiting for some response, I called Hippo
again.  They indicated that my unit would be shipped "next week" (computer
weeks, of course).  After 3 more weeks, I finally received a new programmer.
Again, I tried to program some EPROMS, with the very same results!!!

	Well, now I was furious!   Another call, and their secretary answered,
claimed ignorance as to what I was talking about, and referred me to the
product's developer, Rick Oliver.  She indicated that he would not be in
until later in the week, and I could call him then.  I did get in touch with
Rick later in the week, and he indicated that they had found "yet another
hardware/software" problem, and that I should send the unit back to him again.

	Well, call me a fool, I sent it back to them again.  And I am waiting
again.  So after a few more weeks, I called to see what the #$%^ is going on.
The phone rings about 20 times, and I finally get ahold of an answering service.
They politely talk my message, and indicate that I should receive a call the
next day.  Well, I didn't.  Another call Monday, a lot more persistent with a
threat of legal action, again no call.  Today I called, and the answering
service has been transformed into a mechanical answering machine that
indicates that your message will be delivered in one day (sure, and I was
born yesterday).

	I think that you could probably read between the lines and suspect
that Hippopotamus Software is out of business (or showing really bad signs
of being there soon).  My advice is to not purchase ANY of their products,
PERIOD.  If they owe you money or product, it may already be too late.

	I don't really know what my options are now, and would appreciate any
help that those of you in Netland might provide.  I feel a lot better just
getting this off my chest, and if it helps even one person out there, I will
consider this a success.

						Myron Drapal
						AT&T Information Systems
						Denver, Co.
						(..!drutx!druhi!med)

P.S. Normal disclaimers should be inferred.  AT&T has no connection to any
     of the opinions expressed above, and are probably glad that they don't!

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/19/86)

In article <1524@druhi.UUCP> med@druhi.UUCP (DrapalME) writes:
>        On August 1, this year, I was foolish enough to purchase an EPROM
> programmer from Hippopotamus Software from a very reputable mail order
> company.
[ he goes on to describe problems with the EPROM programmer, and problems
with trying to get Hippo to fix it ]

If it was a "very reputable" mail order place, then you should be able
to send the EPROM programmer back to them, explaining that it doesn't
work, and they should then deal with Hippo.
--
Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

iarocci@eneevax.UUCP (Bill Dorsey) (12/20/86)

I've had my Hippo Eprom burner for about 6 months now, and haven't had any
trouble with it.  The only EPROMS I've programmed with it are 27C256s, though.
The only problem I had was when I got some NEC D27C256D-15 Eproms, they
wouldn't program unless I made the Chip Enable line active high.  Since this
meant that they weren't compatible with the ROMs in the machine, I'll be
sending them back for some other brand.  Now, if someone out there can tell
me that these EPROMS should have programmed with an Active Low Chip Enable,
maybe I'll agree that there is something wrong with the Hippo Eprom burner.