[comp.sys.atari.8bit] questions

wilmott@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ray Wilmott) (11/18/86)

I've got a few quick questions maybe somebody can help me with:

1) I've recently been having trouble with my drive (1050) pausing
   during I/O until it gets warmed up (until it's been turned on
   for about 15 minutes or so). To my surprise, I've narrowed the
   problem down to originating from my XM-301 modem (the drive
   only does this if the modem is connected and gives the same
   effect on freinds' systems.). I was wondering if anybody out
   there has had similar problems (and to possibly warn some that
   if you experience this, it may be your xm-301 and NOT your
   drive), and too also see if anybody might know just exactly
   what the problem stems from.

2) Does anybody know of a patch to standard atari DOS 2.0 that allows
   it too work in TRUE double density. I've recently installed a
   USDoubler and would like very much too have a compatible version
   of 2.0 to use with it in double density mode. There was a short
   program in Antic (I believe) about 2 years back that did a patch
   to 2.0 which allowed it to operate in the 1050's dual density
   mode (thus freeing early 1050 buyers from horrid dos 3.0), so
   I'm hoping that the same sort of thing can be done for double
   density. And while we're at it, how about another patch that
   allows 2.0 to work at warp speed on a USDoubler drive?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Ray Wilmott
wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu
--------------------------
:-)

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (11/18/86)

If you bought the USDoubler you should have received the Sparta DOS
Costruction set.  If you didn't you could buy it from your local
dealer. Or you can use DOSXL, OS/A+, SmartDOS or TOPDOS.  All of these
support TRUE double density.

	Marc--
|============================================================================|
|Marc L. Appelbaum                         "Insanity is just a state of mind"|
|Arpa: marc@aim.rutgers.edu                    Uucp:rutgers!ru-blue!appelbaum|
|============================================================================|

tob@inuxm.UUCP (T Burger) (12/02/86)

> 2) Does anybody know of a patch to standard atari DOS 2.0 that allows
>    it too work in TRUE double density. I've recently installed a
>    USDoubler and would like very much too have a compatible version
>    of 2.0 to use with it in double density mode. There was a short
>    program in Antic (I believe) about 2 years back that did a patch
>    to 2.0 which allowed it to operate in the 1050's dual density
>    mode (thus freeing early 1050 buyers from horrid dos 3.0), so
>    I'm hoping that the same sort of thing can be done for double
>    density. And while we're at it, how about another patch that
>    allows 2.0 to work at warp speed on a USDoubler drive?

I think you would be much happier with MYDOS instead of a patched DOS 2.
The patches that I have used are not automatic density switching.
	That means if you have double density loaded you can't use single.
Mydos 4.2 also supports a ramdisk if you machine has the memory.
It is 100% compatible with all of your Dos 2 disks.

I have downloaded from Compuserve a mod to the XL/XE OS roms that make them
use the warpspeed of your doubler.  BUT to get the true warpspeed benifits,
you must use the special format provided with Sparta dos.  BUT Sparta DOS
isn't very compatable with your DOS 2 disks.  My solution to this is to use
the Duplicating Technoliges Inc. board.  This gives you full track buffering,
double density or single density operation.  And if you have the warp mod
on your OS roms you get almost the full warp speed from standard format disks.
during read operations and normal speed during write operations.

The only problem I have found with this setup is that some protected
software won't load with the DTI board due to the full track buffering.
I keep my trusty 810 around for that.

Wish you luck

Ted Burger

cc@rayssd.RAY.COM (Charles R Coday) (12/04/86)

	I have used Dos 2.0 (unmodified) with double density drives thru
an ATR8000 in the double density mode.  Most of the double density drives
and their mods will automatically switch to the correct density upon
boot-up.  Atari Dos 2.0 gets notified of the appropriate density and then
has no problem.  Mydos, though, will additionally handle the situation
where you want to switch disks of different density where Atari Dos 2.0
fails.  Bill Wilkinson of OSS (and an author of Atari Dos 2.0) published a
book called Inside Atari Dos containing the Dos SOURCE code and
explanations of how it can handle double density drives.  So, just put a
double density disk in and boot-up!

hans@umd5 (Hans Breitenlohner) (12/06/86)

In article <434@rayssd.RAY.COM> cc@rayssd.RAY.COM (Charles R Coday) writes:

>	I have used Dos 2.0 (unmodified) with double density drives thru
>an ATR8000 in the double density mode.  Most of the double density drives
>and their mods will automatically switch to the correct density upon
>boot-up.  Atari Dos 2.0 gets notified of the appropriate density and then
>has no problem.  Mydos, though, will additionally handle the situation
>where you want to switch disks of different density where Atari Dos 2.0
>fails.  Bill Wilkinson of OSS (and an author of Atari Dos 2.0) published a
>book called Inside Atari Dos containing the Dos SOURCE code and
>explanations of how it can handle double density drives.  So, just put a
>double density disk in and boot-up!

I don't think you are quite right about this.  There is no code in Dos 2.0
to treat the first three sectors of the disk specially (i.e. 128 instead of
256 bytes), so any function which writes these (format, write Dos files, etc.)
will fail.  Perhaps the ATR 8000 compensates for this, and allows you to write
these sectors either way, but I am sure a regular disk drive will not do this.

It does seem like a crying shame, since someone certainly went to a lot of
trouble to put 95% or more of the code for double density support into Dos 2.0.

ppgcu@cunyvm.bitnet.UUCP (12/06/86)

> tob@inuxm.UUCP (T Burger) writes:
>My solution to this is to use the Duplicating Technoliges Inc. board.
>This gives you full track buffering, double density or single density
>operation.  And if you have the warp mod on your OS roms you get
>almost the full warp speed from standard format disks. during read
>operations and normal speed during write operations.
>
>The only problem I have found with this setup is that some protected
>software won't load with the DTI board due to the full track buffering.
>I keep my trusty 810 around for that.

Hmmm... in that case why not get a Happy upgrade.  It will make a 1050
double density and can be completely disabled if need be.
It supports full track buffering, warp speed, single/double/1050 density
You do not need special OS ROM's
I've had one for a while and I'm very 'HAPPY' with it.

cc@rayssd.RAY.COM (Charles R Coday) (12/06/86)

In article <1385@umd5>, hans@umd5 (Hans Breitenlohner) writes:
> In article <434@rayssd.RAY.COM> cc@rayssd.RAY.COM (Charles R Coday) writes:
> >
> >	I have used Dos 2.0 (unmodified) with double density drives thru
> >an ATR8000 in the double density mode.  Most of the double density drives
> >and their mods will automatically switch to the correct density upon
> >boot-up.  Atari Dos 2.0 gets notified of the appropriate density and then
>
> I don't think you are quite right about this.  There is no code in Dos 2.0
> to treat the first three sectors of the disk specially (i.e. 128 instead of
> 256 bytes), so any function which writes these (format, write Dos files, etc.)
> will fail.  Perhaps the ATR 8000 compensates for this, and allows you to write
> these sectors either way, but I am sure a regular disk drive will not do this.

What I failed to include was the information that the first three sectors
must be 128 bytes ONLY regardless of their density AND the drive MUST
switch densities by itself (yes--the ATR8000 does the 'switching').  This
concept was first implemented by PERCOM who used to make drives for many of
the home micros, including ATARI.  When Rana came on the scene they
implemented the same idea ( I also had one of those at one time).  The real
proof, of course, is to insert a double density disk and see what happens.
The various DOSes like MYDOS, SMARTDOS, etc have the capability to create a
double-density disk with a DOS on it.  DOS 2.0, tho, won't do that.

So how can you get a double-density disk with DOS 2.0?

I did it in the past with a PD program circulated by PERCOM, but they went
out of the ATARI drive business.  BUT, if someone really wants a
double-density DOS 2.0, I will try to find the program and post it (if I
can figure out how to do that!).

wilmott@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ray Wilmott) (12/08/86)

In article <442@rayssd.RAY.COM>, Charles Coday writes :

>... BUT, if someone really wants a double-density DOS 2.0, I will
> try to find the program and post it (if I can figure out how to
> do that!)

Yes, please, please, please do so.

Ray Wilmott
wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu

kmeis@drupa.UUCP (MeisK) (12/09/86)

Whenever I want to create a double density version of dos on my Percom,
I set one drive to double density, boot up on the other single density drive,
go to DOS and use the write DOS option.  As soon as you write DOS to the
double density drive you can boot with it.  It is my understanding that
DOS 2.0 was created with Atari's never released double density drive in mind
and it is therefore compatable with double density.  (I am, however, not in
front of my Atari, so I can't boot to check the exact DOS version number).

Kevin J. Meis
ihnp4!drutx!drupa!kmeis

tob@inuxm.UUCP (T Burger) (12/15/86)

> > tob@inuxm.UUCP (T Burger) writes:
> >My solution to this is to use the Duplicating Technoliges Inc. board.
> >This gives you full track buffering, double density or single density
> >operation.  And if you have the warp mod on your OS roms you get
> >almost the full warp speed from standard format disks. during read
> >operations and normal speed during write operations.
> >
> >The only problem I have found with this setup is that some protected
> >software won't load with the DTI board due to the full track buffering.
> >I keep my trusty 810 around for that.
>
> Hmmm... in that case why not get a Happy upgrade.  It will make a 1050
> double density and can be completely disabled if need be.
> It supports full track buffering, warp speed, single/double/1050 density
> You do not need special OS ROM's
> I've had one for a while and I'm very 'HAPPY' with it.

The DTI board can also be disabled.  But you have to load a short program
to do it. (I think the HAPPY is the same way)  I have decided to keep my
setup completely 'turnkey' so my kids can use it to.  Therefore no special
software to configure anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, But you still need the warp speed handlers in the
machine for Happy.  My suggestion for the OS mod allows any DOS to be used,
not just Sparta Dos, to get warp speed.

So even for the Happy system you either have the warp speed handlers in the
DOS or in the OS roms.  Since I like MYDOS, I chose the OS rom mod route.

Ted

cc@rayssd.RAY.COM (Charles R Coday) (12/15/86)

Here is the program to create a double-density ATARI DOS 2.0.  Presently,
it requires two drives only because it was easier to program.  The basic
idea is to set the appropriate entry in DRVTBL which starts at 4881 and
continues for up to 8 drvies.  A value of 1 indicates a single density
(810) drive and a value of 2 indicates a double density (815, remember
them?) drive.  Then it does a  JSR to DINT to re-initalize DOS and cause it to
re-build all tables for disk i/o.  Next, an XIO command is used to format
the drive (in the command block rcvd by the drive is a flag indicating
density) and a trick is used to cause DOS.SYS to be written.  Trick=
WHENEVER DOS receives a write command and the file name specified is
"DOS.SYS", a full copy of DOS is written to the disk with the appropriate
updating of sectors 1-4 (which are still written with only 128 bytes of
valid data, although in a 256 byte sector).  Finally, the slow method of
getting and putting is used to transfer a copy of DUP.SYS.  If you have
only one drive this could be modified BUT a LOT of disk swapping will be
needed with the appropriate JSRs to DINT and changes to 488X.

Good luck, if this doesn't make it, let me know.

10 REM PGM TO CREATE A DOUBLE DENSITY
40 REM ATARI DOS 2.0
60 REM
80 REM FIRST, SET UP VARIABLES
120 DRIVE=2:REM DRIVE NUMBER
140 DOUBLE=2:REM DOUBLE DENS. CODE
160 WRT=8:RD=4
500 REM
520 REM SETUP M.L. ROUTINE
540 REM IN A STRING
560 REM
580 DIM DINT$(5):REM DOS INIT
600 DINT$(1)=CHR$(104):REM PLA
620 DINT$(2)=CHR$(32):REM JSR
640 DINT$(3)=CHR$(224):REM $E0
660 DINT$(4)=CHR$(7):REM $07
680 DINT$(5)=CHR$(96):REM RTS
700 REM
820 REM DRIVE 2 TO DOUBLE AND INIT
822 REM DOS. NOTE-USE 4881 FOR DRIVE 1
840 POKE 4882,DOUBLE:X=USR(ADR(DINT$))
860 REM FORMAT DISK
880 XIO 254,0,0,"D2:*.*"
960 REM USE OPEN TRICK TO WRITE DOS.SYS
980 OPEN #2,WRT,0,"D2:DOS.SYS"
990 CLOSE #2
1000 REM
1020 REM NOW WE HAVE TO READ DUP.SYS
1040 REM AND PUT IT ON NEW DISK
1060 REM
1080 OPEN #1,RD,0,"D:DUP.SYS"
1100 OPEN #2,WRT,0,"D:DUP.SYS"
1120 TRAP 5000:REM FOR EOF
1160 GET #1,DATA:PUT #2,DATA:GOTO 1160
5000 REM
5020 REM ERROR HANDLER
5030 CLOSE #1:CLOSE #2
5040 ERR=PEEK(195):ERRLINE=PEEK(187)*256+PEEK(186)
5060 IF ERR=136 THEN PRINT "ALL DONE!":END
5080 PRINT "ERROR #";ERR;" -LINE ";ERRLINE
5100 END

sharakan@godot.think.com (Eric Sharakan) (12/19/86)

I tried creating a double-density DOS2.0 using the program posted and had no
luck.  I have a 800XL with a 1050 drive w/U.S. Doubler installed.  I made
the following changes to the program to allow it to work with one drive:

840 POKE 4881,DOUBLE:X=USR(ADR(DINT$))
            ^
880 XIO 254,#1,0,0,"D1:*.*"
            ^^^      ^
980 OPEN #2,WRT,0,"D1:DOS.SYS"
                    ^
990 CLOSE #2:END
            ^^^^
(The '#1' in line 880 is necessary Atari BASIC syntax).  These changes
should have created a double density disk with a DOS.SYS on it.  Rather than
using gets/puts to copy DUP.SYS, I simply went to DOS and used the 'O'
option to copy it over.  (I don't know if I would have been able to do this
if the program actually worked).

What I got was a single density disk with a DOS that still did not support
double density.  The U.S Doubler in my 1050 is supposedly compatible with
other double density drives on the market.

Any help from the Net would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
--
Eric Sharakan, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, Ma., 02142
AT&T, et. al.: (617) 876-1111

wilmott@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ray Wilmott) (12/21/86)

In article <392@think.COM>, sharakan@godot.think.com (Eric Sharakan) writes:
> I tried creating a double-density DOS2.0 using the program posted and had no
> luck.  I have a 800XL with a 1050 drive w/U.S. Doubler installed.
> ....[deleteed text]....
> What I got was a single density disk with a DOS that still did not support
> double density.  The U.S Doubler in my 1050 is supposedly compatible with
> other double density drives on the market.
>
> Any help from the Net would be most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I was able to get the program posted to work by making a few changes.

1)Format the disk to be used in double density ahead of time using
Spartados, SmartDos, or whatever you may have. *Remove* the XIO
statement from the posted program.
2)If you use an xl/xe (like me), boot up using a "translator" disk.

This will give you a *mostly* working copy of double density Atari
Dos 2.0. I say mostly because for some reason, the copy I end up
with *will not* format a disk - which means I have to use SmartDos
or whatever for that purpose (anybody out there have a solution
for that problem?).

Ray Wilmott
wilmott@topaz.rutgers.edu