[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Replies to questions in Vol 87 Issue 10..

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA.UUCP (03/02/87)

 Dan Boskovich asks:

"If I have followed this correctly, this Avatex 1200 modem can be used
 to access vax unix from an Atari 130x. If not which modem should I get.
 Also, will I need a terminal emulator? I am new to PC's and don't
 have a clue. Please help!!"

Yes, the Avatex has worked out very well talking to a VAX at 1200 baud from an
Atari 800XL.  However, any 1200 baud modem would theoretically do the job.
The Avatex has the virtue of being about the cheapest 1200 baud unit around,
at $75 to $80, especially considering that it has autodial, autoanswer, and
autobaud features.  Since you are new to all this, let me explain briefly.
Autodial capability lets you send commands to the modem which make it dial the
phone automatically.  The Avatex (or any Hayes compatible) will dial either
in Touch Tone or Pulse mode depending on which command you send it.  For
example you send "ATDT5551212" to it and it dials 555-1212 in Tone mode.
The "AT" stands for "Attention" -- gets the modem's attention -- and "DT"
means Dial, Tone Mode.  The digits are of course the phone number.

Autoanswer means the modem will answer the phone and put out a carrier so
you can run a Bulletin Board System from your computer if you wish.

Autobaud means it will automatically switch to the correct baud rate,
300 or 1200, depending on what it sees on the incoming line after it has
answered the phone.

There is a more expensive Avatex, the 1200HC which is fully Hayes Compatible.
This includes a built-in speaker which lets you follow call progress.  With
the cheaper unit you have to plug in a phone in the jack on the back if you
want to listen.  The 1200HC sells for around $110 to $150 depending on your
source, and will probably work with a wider assortment of Bulletin Board
software than the plain 1200.  The $75 Avatex 1200 has done everything I need
so far, however.

You will need the modem, an interface, and a terminal emulator to get started.
If you want to make the Atari look like a VT100, the VT100 emulator which was
posted in the last Info-Atari8 Digest will do the trick.  However, if it is
as I think it is, it will not help you with downloading files, which you will
want to do to benefit from the many fine Public Domain programs posted on this
net.  Other terminal emulators are available which will help with that.
The one I use is CDY's OmniCom, which provides "kermit" and "xmodem", the two
most popular protocols for transferring files reliably.  OmniCom requires
CDY's OMNIVIEW chip, but with that you also get 80-column display capability
for word processing and not just for terminal operations.

As for interfaces, the P:R:Connection and the Atari 850 are two of the most
versatile choices.  Each will let you hook up an industry-standard printer
(so-called Centronics style parallel interface) as well as two (P:R:C) or four
(850) serial devices, one of which will be the modem.  The P:R:Connection has
been selling for around $55 and the 850 for around $109 by mail order, though
I just noticed the 850 listed for $99 from Electronic One in Columbus, OH.
(Phone (614) 864-9994; P.O. Box 13428, Columbus OH 43213.)  Though you can
get modems with direct Atari interfaces and whatnot, I strongly recommend
getting one of the two interfaces mentioned above so you can use standard
modems and printers which you can keep and use with another computer that you
may upgrade to later on.

From: vax135!art@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Arthur Schmidt)
Subject: technical data request

"If anyone has an answer to Don Brown's request, please forward
 the info to me as well.  I am interested in where I can get my hands
 on technical hardware and software info on all of the atari 800 family..."

Atari Customer Service can sell you both hardware and software manuals on the
400/800 and XL/XE series, as well as peripherals.  Included are the schematic
diagrams, the Operating System source code, etc.  There is also a fine book
called de re Atari, which is a must for anyone wanting complete information.
Then there is Inside Atari DOS, and the Atari BASIC Source Book, both of which
contain source code listings.  Finally, you MUST have Mapping The Atari.
SAMS ComputerFact manuals are also available with schematics and repair
information.  THAT should keep you busy for awhile!!!

-John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa