[comp.sys.atari.8bit] spartados/turbobasic/superdos

curzon@kaoa01.dec.com.UUCP (03/03/87)

TURBO BASIC

  - is there a patch yet to correct the time functions for North
     America?  (I tried the one someone posted here before, no go)
  - how do you load handlers with it?
  - anybody got any notes on how it uses memory?

SPARTADOS

Thanks to all those who answered my questions on Spartados
and the US doubler... I bought it and am very pleased.

I would say this is the height of the art of Atari command line DOS's,
with batches, time/date stamp on files, and a few great utilities.

Now I need MORE utilities..anybody got a boot sector, high speed binary
loader?  other goodies?

SUPERDOS

I got an 'incidental' copy of this DOS on a traded disk.  I have not seen
it advertised... anyone know its origin?  It has a high speed skew format
option.  You need some additional hardware I guess, because it doesn't work
with the US doubler I have.

The interesting thing is, it works at high speed if you format with
Sparta/US doubler!  You only have to copy sector 360 from an empty formatted
Atari DOS disk to your Sparta formatted disk, then you boot Superdos
and write it to the new disk (menu "H").  Then all reads and writes under
Superdos happen at high speed.  That's great with Turbo basic, which you
can't use with Spartados (memory conflicts).

				Dick Curzon
				Digital Equipment of Canada
                                PO Box 13000
                                Kanata Ontario      K2K 2A6
                                Canada.

(DEC E-NET)	KAOA01::CURZON
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!kaoa01.dec.com!curzon
(ARPA)		curzon%kaoa01.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <8396@decwrl.DEC.COM> curzon@kaoa01.dec.com writes:

>TURBO BASIC
>
>  - is there a patch yet to correct the time functions for North
>     America?  (I tried the one someone posted here before, no go)
>  - how do you load handlers with it?
>  - anybody got any notes on how it uses memory?
>
>SPARTADOS
>
>Thanks to all those who answered my questions on Spartados
>and the US doubler... I bought it and am very pleased.
>
>I would say this is the height of the art of Atari command line DOS's,
>with batches, time/date stamp on files, and a few great utilities.
>
>Now I need MORE utilities..anybody got a boot sector, high speed binary
>loader?  other goodies?
>

>				Dick Curzon
>				Digital Equipment of Canada

dick,
	i don't use Turbo BASIC much since it doesn't work with
SPARTADOS, but when I first got TB (before I had SpartaDOS), I remember
that all I need to do to fix the clock program that came with it was to
change a divide by 50 to a divide by 60... granted this was just a call
to a time function... I can't remember if TB has a time$ function, but
I never messed with it...
	another reason that I don't use it is that I have deep blue C,
and recently got the ACE C pd C compiler (an extension of dbc and/or
related to it via the original pd C compiler that John Palevich built
dbc from), and I have Kyan Pascal... all of which work with SpartaDOS.
Kyan Pascal also comes with an excellent macro assembler, a real nice
program editor (the only thing it doesn't have is some sort of tabbing,
but that is understandable since you only have a 40 column screen to work
with), AND a neat little mini-Unix environment called KIX that runs
right on top of DOS 2.5 or SPARTADOS with ls, rm, mv, etc. and limited
redirection capability (e.g., ls *.* > file )...  well worth the $70.
The pascal compiler is ISO with support for Atari graphics and sound...
	I would recommend that you get your hands on dbc or ACE C and
build your own tools... (this is particularly pleasant if you have a
ramdisk to work from).

			brad banko
			...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb
			cleveland, ohio

--
usenet: {decvax|cbatt|cbosgd}!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case