[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Chameleon and Unix

lazear@MITRE-GATEWAY.ARPA.UUCP (02/20/87)

What terminal type do Chameleon users set themselves to when calling
a Unix system?  I haven't been able to find a combination that works
with the VI screen editor (cursor motion, line inserts, etc).
Chameleon doesn't react much at all to the VT52 termcap, with ADM3A
I have to set even parity within Chameleon, but there still is no
cursor movement.  I don't know what the IBM flavor is that is supported
in Chameleon.  (By the way, the issue arises because I have always
used ED as my editor when dialing in, but decided to use VI now).
Any help is appreciated!   (My version of Chameleon is 4.0).

	Walt

Walt Lazear                      _     _       _  _________ _______  ________
                                / \  /  \     | | |___ ___| | __   \ | _____|
Lazear@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG       / \ \/ /\ \    | |    | |    | |_>  | | |____
7525 Colshire Drive           / / \  /  \ \   | |    | |    |  _  /  | _____|
McLean, VA 2210              / /   \/    \ \  | |    | |    | | \ \  | |____
(703) 883-6515              /_/           \_\ |_|    |_|    |_|  \_\ |______|

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (02/21/87)

walt,
	i usually use chameleon only when i need kermit when i dial in
to this Unix system... otherwise, i use vt10^2 (vt ten squared) terminal
emualtor (vt100) which works very well with vi... it is pd, i got it off
of a local bbs...

			(brad banko)
			(...!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!btb)

--
usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <8702202045.AA05232@gateway.mitre.org>, lazear@MITRE-GATEWAY.ARPA (Walt Lazear) writes:

> What terminal type do Chameleon users set themselves to when calling
> a Unix system?  I haven't been able to find a combination that works
> with the VI screen editor (cursor motion, line inserts, etc).
> Chameleon doesn't react much at all to the VT52 termcap, with ADM3A
> I have to set even parity within Chameleon, but there still is no
> cursor movement.

I use the VT52XL emulation all the time with an Atari 130XE/Hayes compatible
modem and an 850 interface.  Vi works fine, everything that you mention works
as if I were on any other terminal.

I use the following setup:

Terminal:  VT52-XL
Back space:  CTRL-H
Parity:  off
Duplex:  full
Flow control:  ^S/^Q

With this, I get full cursor motion, line insertion/deletion, character
insertion/deletion.  I have seen similar problems to yours before, it usually
is because either parity is on even or odd or flow control is not properly set
up.

I have also used an 800XL with the above setup and have had the same results.
Have also used a 1030 Atari modem at 300 baud, is slow as all get out, but also
works.  My Hayes compatible is a U.S. Robiotics Courier which I run at
1200 baud, that I borrow from work.  When you are using Chameleon and an Atari
computer, you can get { and } by using CNTRL-; and CNTRL-<  (^; and ^<).  H is
your left arrow, J is down arrow, K is up arrow, L is right arrow.  Use i, r,
R, a, etc. commands for insertion, replacement, Replacement, appending, etc.
just as if you were at any normal terminal.

--Bill--
tektronix!tekigm2!wrd

dlink@udenva.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <1887@cwruecmp.UUCP> bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:
>walt,
>	i usually use chameleon only when i need kermit when i dial in
>to this Unix system... otherwise, i use vt10^2 (vt ten squared) terminal
>emualtor (vt100) which works very well with vi... it is pd, i got it off
>of a local bbs...
>--
>usenet: .....!decvax!cwruecmp!bammi		jwahar r. bammi
>csnet:       bammi@case
>arpa:        bammi%case@csnet-relay
>compuServe:  71515,155

Would you be willing to post it to this network?  I know that I would like
to try this program out and perhaps there are others who would as well.
Thanks!

--
... {hplabs,seismo}!hao---\
... ucbvax!nbires----------> !udenva!dlink

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA.UUCP (02/24/87)

Bill:

You should consider getting one of the Avatex 1200 modems.  For under $80
you could own your own modem, or under $120 if you want a built-in speaker and
S-register commands.  The $80 one does everything I have needed so far.

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

appelbau@topaz.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <8702202045.AA05232@gateway.mitre.org>, lazear@MITRE-GATEWAY.ARPA (Walt Lazear) writes:

> What terminal type do Chameleon users set themselves to when calling
> a Unix system?  I haven't been able to find a combination that works
> with the VI screen editor (cursor motion, line inserts, etc).
> Chameleon doesn't react much at all to the VT52 termcap, with ADM3A
> I have to set even parity within Chameleon, but there still is no
> cursor movement.  I don't know what the IBM flavor is that is supported
> in Chameleon.  (By the way, the issue arises because I have always
> used ED as my editor when dialing in, but decided to use VI now).
> Any help is appreciated!   (My version of Chameleon is 4.0).

I set my term type to ATARI using the following .termcap

'atari|atari|Chameleon VT-52xl:so=\EF:se=\EG:al=\EN:dl=\EO:im:em:ic=\EL:dm:ed:dc=\EM:bs:cd=\EJ:ce=\EK:cl=\EH\EJ:cm=\EY%+ %+ :co#80:li#24:nd=\EC:pt:sr=\EI:up=\EA:ku=\EA:kd=\EB:kr=\EC:kl=\ED:';

Also place the following lines in your .login or .profile:

echo -n "Terminal type: "
set term = $<
if ($term == "atari") setenv TERMCAP ~/.termcap
endif
setenv TERM $term

Set Chameleon to:
term type:VT-52XL
Backspace:rubout
Parity:None
Flow:^S/^Q

	Marc

--
 Marc L. Appelbaum                         "Insanity is just a state of mind"
 Arpa: marc@aim.rutgers.edu                    Uucp:rutgers!ru-blue!appelbaum

wrd@tekigm2.tek.com.UUCP (02/24/87)

Have considered getting an Avatex modem, but since I can borrow the US
Robiotics indefinitely have not felt the need.  Will probably get around doing
it eventually.  Right now, my $ are going to my first hobby -- model
railroading.  Which brings me to a question:  do you happen to know any model
railroaders who are also good Atari programmers (in any langauage, but
preferrably BASIC XE)?  Am trying to get a program converted from TRS-80 BASIC
for several years and have not been able to get it to work.  Would like to have
someone of like interests willing to  help write a program to do the same thing
from scratch.  Essentially it is a program to setup waybills and generate
traffic for prototype operation of a model railroad layout.  Requires a large
data base for all industries, cars, commodities, etc. and thus would be ideal
to utilize the 130XE extra memory (or better yet a 256K upgrade).  The NMRA
(National Model Railroad Association) does have a computer SIG, however, most
that I have been able to discern is that they are IBM/TRS80/Commodore
programmers -- Atari and model railroading seem to have not come together.
Why, I do not know, I think we have as much capabilities as anything short of
the IBM's and since I use an IBM XT at work, I often wonder about that.  I
still maintain that there are a lot of things that my Atari 8bitters can do or
are set up to do, that I have to get additional boards, set dip switches, etc.
on the damn IBM to get the same capability.  Still, being able to boothe 130XE,
suspect that you can not set up the hard disk to AUTORUN.SYS, however.

--Bill--

(Would also be nice if the 8 bitters could "AUTOEXEC.BAT" -- .BAT files are
good IBM invention.  I suspect that if I was more getting skilled, I could
probably do the same thing with the AUTORUN.SYS file.)

dan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (02/28/87)

In article <8702232327.AA10894@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>Bill:
>
>You should consider getting one of the Avatex 1200 modems.  For under $80
>you could own your own modem, or under $120 if you want a built-in speaker and
>S-register commands.  The $80 one does everything I have needed so far.
>
>-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

 If I have followed this correctly, this Avatex 1200 modem can be used
 to access vax unix from an Atari 130x. If not which modem should I get.
 Also, will I need a terminal emulator? I am new to PC's and don't
 have a clue. Please help!!

 Thanks,

 Dan Boskovich

appelbau@topaz.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <4226@sdcrdcf.UUCP>, dan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) writes:

>  If I have followed this correctly, this Avatex 1200 modem can be used
>  to access vax unix from an Atari 130x. If not which modem should I get.
>  Also, will I need a terminal emulator? I am new to PC's and don't
>  have a clue. Please help!!
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Dan Boskovich

Yes, you'll need a terminal emulator in order to use an editor.  All
the modem does is send signals between two computers, it does not
perform any terminal emulation.

I mainly use Chameleon (I think I spelled it right) for working on
mainframes.  It is available from ANTIC for $19.95.  It also includes
a .termcap for use with the vt-52xl's extended codes.

I've been using Chameloen for about 4 months, and I've been extermly
satisfied with its emulation and file transfers.

--
 Marc L. Appelbaum                         "Insanity is just a state of mind"
 Arpa: marc@aim.rutgers.edu                    Uucp:rutgers!ru-blue!appelbaum
			GEnie:M.APPELBAUM