[comp.sys.atari.8bit] dinosaurs, etc.

SULLIVAN@suny-bing.CSNET.UUCP (03/05/87)

From:	IN%"postmast@sh.cs.net"  4-MAR-1987 14:29
To:	VX1245@suny-bing.csnet
Subj:	FAILED MAIL

Your message could not be delivered --

        Reason:    (BHST) Unknown host/domain name in "info-atari8@su-score.csnet"

We regret that the return of your message was delayed. The delay was
caused by a software problem, which is now fixed.  -- CSNET Staff

            -----------------------------

Date:     Wed, 11 Feb 87 22:01 EST
From:     VX1245@suny-bing.csnet
To:       info-atari8@su-score.CSNET
Subject:  dinosaurs, terminal programs, and turbo basic

> Hello. I'm new on the net,too,and as people have seen,am an avid 800 user
> myself. I'd like to talk to anyone else who owns a 'dinosaur',hopefully in my
> general area. Why does Turbo{ Basic only work on the XL/XE's? Can anyone
> modify it?
> Does anyone even have my computer?
> Thanks a LOT,
> ----Sascha
I think your first question has been answered.  The answer to your second is:
yes!  I, am hanging on to my dinosaur and will continue to do so until I get
get a real unix box for under 2k$.  I am interested in communication, but I
can't figure out how to reply to you.  If you'll send me mail directly I can
probably reply.
> I use my Atari 8-bit to access UUCP-net, and wondered if anyone knows of any
> good DEC VT-100 emulators out there for the 48K 800. I'm using a program
> called VT-10-Squared,which doesn't support ANY file transfers --- not even
> ASCII! The program I want should have these features:
> o ASCII Capture
> o 80-column screen with NO extra hardware and NO horizontal scrolling
> o Usable on Avatex 1200(Hayes)
> o Supports DEC VT100 screen control characters
> o Maybe XMODEM????
>  Does this exist? If anyone wants to see VT-10-SQR,I might upload it in
> UUENCODE format once someone fixes the decoder so I can decode the encoder.
> Thanks,
> ----Sascha!
I think you will not find a program which satisfies all your wants, but I must
join John Sangster in heartily recommending the Omniview board ($50) from CDY
computing.  I am currently using Omniterm ($10?) on a unix system with vi to
compose this message.  It also works just fine with Gnu emacs.  I run it at
2400 baud, although it is only claimed to work at 1200.  (on rare occasions, I
get a buffer overflow with emacs, which refuses to understand xon/xoff, but
this is not a serious problem.)  It gives you both kermit and x-modem, although
no ascii capture.  The emulation is vt100.  Not everything is emulated, but
enough to edit and play rogue.  (For example, there are no double height/width
characters.)  It takes about 10 minutes with no soldering to install.  My only
complaint is that the character set is Atari's, meaning that curly braces,
tildes, etc. show up as funny characters.  You can generate them from the
keyboard.  Maybe David Young will come to his senses some day and fix this.
The board is a piggyback on the OS board, so it doesn't take up a slot.  You
can use 80 columns for anything which uses E: or S:.  One potential problem:
Omniterm and Omniwriter (the word processor which comes with Omniview) won't
run with DOS XL.  I had to buy MyDos to use them with my double density Percoms.
(of course they work fine with Atari DOS.)  Imagine, an Atari DOS with
subdirectories.  Why did no onw ever tell me?

I too, am interested in the 800/dinosaur version of Turbo Basic.  Perhaps
whoever has it could post it to the net, as there seem to be several people
interested.

Fred Sullivan
Dept. Math. Sci.
SUNY at Binghamton
sullivan at suny-bing.csnet

At last I'm a person rather than a number!