[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Chameleon and termcap

appelbau@topaz.UUCP (03/04/87)

Charlie Dennett writes:

When I dial in from home with my 800XL and chameleon I have noticed
something peculiar with the backspace key.  When I have the shell prompt
(I guess that's what you call it) the backspace key causes a control H
(^H) to be printed to the screen.  When I am in vi, the backspace key
actually backspaces.

Try setting Chameleon to RUBOUT instead of ^H.

Also you might considering setting your term type to vt52xl and use
the following .termcap

'atari|atari|Chameleon VT-52xl:so=\EF:se=\EG:al=\EN:dl=\EO:im:em:ic=\EL:dm:ed:dc=\EM:bs:cd=\EJ:ce=\EK:cl=\EH\EJ:cm=\EY%+ %+ :co#80:li#24:nd=\EC:pt:sr=\EI:up=\EA:ku=\EA:kd=\EB:kr=\EC:kl=\ED:';

--
 Marc L. Appelbaum                         "Insanity is just a state of mind"
 Arpa: marc@aim.rutgers.edu                    Uucp:rutgers!ru-blue!appelbaum

feb@cblpe.UUCP (03/05/87)

In article <9821@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:
>Charlie Dennett writes:
>
>When I dial in from home with my 800XL and chameleon I have noticed
>something peculiar with the backspace key.  When I have the shell prompt
>(I guess that's what you call it) the backspace key causes a control H
>(^H) to be printed to the screen.  When I am in vi, the backspace key
>actually backspaces.
>

>Try setting Chameleon to RUBOUT instead of ^H.

>--
> Marc L. Appelbaum                         "Insanity is just a state of mind"
> Arpa: marc@aim.rutgers.edu                    Uucp:rutgers!ru-blue!appelbaum
>			GEnie:M.APPELBAUM

Sorry, no. Setting Chameleon to RUBOUT will cause it to transmit a delete
character ($7F) instead of backspace ($08). This will not fix the problem
Charlie Dennett asks about: now the shell will interrupt commands when
backspace (now delete) is pressed and vi will stop working.

The problem probably has to do with what character the system thinks is
the 'current' erase character. Type in 'stty' to the shell and you
should get output similar to this:

	speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
	erase = #; swtch = ^`;
	brkint -inpck icrnl onlcr
	echo echoe echok

By default, the UNIX Operating System uses the '#' character as
the erase character. Unless this is changed in your .profile (or
the system /etc/profile), then the shell will be expecting '#' as
the 'backspace' character. Thus when it sees '^H' it assumes you
really want to enter a '^H' into the command.

To correct this, type this command to the shell:

	stty erase ^H

(^H is one keystroke - ok?)

This should fix your problem. If it does, put the above command
into your .profile so it gets executed every time you log in.

PS. the stty command will also show you what character are currently
the interrupt, quit, kill, end-of-file, end-of-line, and switch
commands. Having these messed up is a good way of getting very
confused, fast. (A better way is to mess up the stty so that the
system does not echo back the characters you type. Ouch.)
--
Franco Barber    AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
..!cbatt!cbuxc!cblpe!feb                 (614) 860-7803