[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 8-BITS SUPPORT OR LACK OF IT.

DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET.UUCP (02/23/87)

All

The demise of the 8-bit by atari still seem eminate.  When 8-bit users contact
atari,thru ATARI BASE,genie,NET or other info nets, Atari does not usually
reply.  Atari only claims to supporting the 8-bits is the xm301 modem.  Though
atari has promised the xep80 and the 3.5" drive.  One of the reasons atari
can't seem to support the 8-bits is the need to enter the IBM PC/clone market.
The atari PC and the 68020 take up all of atari's research time and money.
I'm sure the 8-bits have been moved to the back burner.

ATARI(Neil and other who might still keep up with the 8-bits)

        If Tramiel wants to rake in the allmighty cash from the PC compatible
market,or any other market he sees, thats fine.  But don't let Atari 8-bits die
by lack of action on atari part.  If you do the ST user will wonder what will
happen to them in the near future(2-3)years, when the next MACHINE is ready.
If atari is no longer willing to support the 8-bit.  Sell its copyright to
ICD or some other company that will do something with it.  Disclose the
architecture of the 8-bit custom chip.  I'm sure atari could do this since
the old atari held the patents or copyrights to everything its employees did.

THE AMIGA 2000 is starting to look like it will be my next upgrade!

Mike Buford
DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET

leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) (03/06/87)

in article <8702231323.AA09498@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET says:

> All
>
> The demise of the 8-bit by atari still seem eminate.  When 8-bit users contact
> atari,thru ATARI BASE,genie,NET or other info nets, Atari does not usually
> reply.  Atari only claims to supporting the 8-bits is the xm301 modem.  Though
> atari has promised the xep80 and the 3.5" drive.

  The XEP80 is almost ready, along with special versions of Silent Butler and
Atariwriter + which will take advantage of the 80 column card.  We are also
readying BattleZone XE, a version of the popular arcade game.  The SX212,
our 1200 baud modem, will plug directly into the SIO port on your 8 bit,
in addition to being able to be used by the 850 interface and clones (ape-face,
P:R:Connection).  As for the 3.5" drive, wait 'till summer CES (1st week in
June), I think you'll be very nicely surprised.  <smile>

--alex @ Atari

BIX: alexl.        GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS      AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (03/09/87)

In article <598@atari.UUCP> leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) writes:
>                                                                We are also
> readying BattleZone XE, a version of the popular arcade game.

  Does the XE notation mean that this game will work only on an XL/XE computer
and not an 400/800?

--
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,pyramid,nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/11/87)

> Does the XE notation mean that this game will work only on an XL/XE computer
> and not an 400/800?

  Don't know, but I don't think so.  I think the XE tag is to distinguish
it as an 8 bit product, as opposed to an ST 16 bit product.