[comp.sys.atari.8bit] In defense of DOS 3.0

markv@uoregon.UUCP (Mark VandeWettering) (03/16/87)

In article <102@osupyr.UUCP> akw@osupyr.UUCP (FarOff MicroDesigns) writes:

>	Get DOS 2.5.  You do *NOT* (I repeat _not_) want version 3.0.  Even
>though the old Atari had good intentions when it wrote this poor program,
>it is now quite a huge pain-in-the-booty.  It is _not_ compatible with the
>older versions of DOS and not compatible with other third-party DOSs as
>well.

	Granted.  It is certainly not compatible with DOS2.5, 2.0 or
	pretty damn near anything else.

>	A good reason to avoid 3.0 is this:  all other versions of DOS
>written by Atari format the disk in 128 byte sectors.  3.0 uses a
>1024 byte sector routine.  So, if you were to, say, write a file that is
>1025 bytes long, 3.0 will force the use of two sectors, resulting in the
>loss of 1023 bytes on your disk (which would be trivial on other systems but
>since 3.0 can only put ~90,000 bytes on a disk, this eats room FAST.

	Atari 2.0 does the same thing, except with a finer granularity.
	DOS 3.0 kills you if you have lots of teensy files, but really
	doesn't hurt much otherwise.  If you combine that with the
	append bug that I mentioned in an earlier article, it really
	gets bad.  I have wasted far more space with the append bug than
	any other problem.

	By all means, use spartados if you have a doubler.  Use MYDOS or
	2.5 if you need 2.0 compatibility.  I still use 3.0 for most of
	my programming, and have suffered no ill effects.  It really
	isn't all that bad.

	Long life to the 8-bit users!

--
|                       Mark VandeWettering                             |
|   member of UO-EXODOS - distributed operating system research group   |