[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Lack of Atari 8-bit software!

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (03/16/87)

ATTENTION TO ALL THOSE WHO THINK THE ATARI NEEDS MORE SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!

	I would like to know why such games as Gunship (Microprose), Bard's
Tale I and II (Electronic Arts), Defender of the Crown (Cinemaware), PHM
Pegasus (Electronic Arts) etc., etc., are not available for the 8-bit Atari!
I am very anxious to purchase software of this calibre but it is very
difficult if it is not made for your machine.  If someone from any of these
software companies is listening I would like to see an answer to my
question.
       There are a lot of 8-bit owners here in Nova Scotia who would
like to see these games on the market for our machines.  Why does the
Commodore 64 get so much attention and the Atari 8-bit get left behind?  These
are questions which the software companies must start thinking about.  There
are a lot of honest Atari owners which, I hope, the software companies will
hear from.  So, those of you who have seen a game advertised and wondered
why the caption said C-64 but not Atari 8-bit speak up and let those software
companies know that you want some good quality software!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn Euloth
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS
Canada

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (03/17/87)

At the Eastern Pa. Atari Expo, Bill Wilkinson spoke on the subect of
where software is going to come from.  First you must understand
Wilkinson's rule: Software can cost no more than 10% of the cost of
the hardware needed to run it.  With this in mind he feels,and I tend
to agree, that we will be seeing more and more of good quality
Shareware and Public Domain Software.
--
 Marc L. Appelbaum 				"If life is a game of chess
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu                 and you and I are pawns

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (03/17/87)

In article <19@dalcsug.UUCP> euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) writes:

>	I would like to know why such games as Gunship (Microprose), Bard's
>Tale I and II (Electronic Arts), Defender of the Crown (Cinemaware), PHM
>Pegasus (Electronic Arts) etc., etc., are not available for the 8-bit Atari!
>
>Glenn Euloth
>Dalhousie University
>Halifax, NS
>Canada

I've found Gunship for the 8-bit Atari.  The next time you go looking for
atari software browse through the commodore section.  Sometimes, the software
will be written for both atari and commodore but is put in the commodore.  But
overall, I agree, the 8-bit atari is being left behind in the availability of
new software.  I would like to purchase some of the flight simulators that
are only available at present for the commodore.   I've thought about
purchasing a commodore just to be able to buy new software again, like the
good ole days when atari was more popular and the 800 series was still being
manufactured.

ray

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (03/19/87)

In article <26020@rochester.ARPA> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>In article <19@dalcsug.UUCP> euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (Glenn Euloth) writes:
>>
>>	I would like to know why such games as Gunship (Microprose), Bard's
>
>I've found Gunship for the 8-bit Atari.  The next time you go looking for
>atari software browse through the commodore section.  Sometimes, the software
>will be written for both atari and commodore but is put in the commodore.  But
>ray

Well, Ray, that would be nice but about the only place that carries Commodore
software anymore is Zeller's.  The Commodore "piracy racket" is so bad in
Halifax (if not all of Canada.) is so bad that most computer stores refuse
to carry Commodore software since they can't sell it!  And Zeller's doesn't
exactly have a good selection of Flippy disks.  Thanks for the tip though.

						Glenn.