[comp.sys.atari.8bit] New Atari Products Revisited

akw@osupyr.UUCP (04/07/87)

Attn:  Neil and our friends at Atari.

	When can we see a shipping date on the following promised
products:

	* XEP-80, 80-column adapter for the 8-bit Ataris
	  (and will it have some software, and will it
	   support the 400/800s?)

	* SX212 3/12 Modem

	* 3.5" disk drive
	  (and will we see SpartaDOS, DOS XL or another such
	   software support for said beast be packaged with it)

	* XE Game Machine (yuk)

and will we be seeing any of the following rumoured products:

	* 8-bit mouse

	* mouse-based desktop system

Forever in curiosity or confusion,

Andy Weaver / akw@osupyr.UUCP / 614.293.1195 or .292.1741
The Ohio State University / Columbus, OH / "Go Bucks."
"Like cold water to the bones, so is good news from a distant land." Prov25.25

Disclaimer:  If Ohio State knew I had UseNet access, they would probably
have to ask what exactly UseNet is. And how much they should charge.

store2@ihuxi.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <175@osupyr.UUCP>, akw@osupyr.UUCP (FarOff MicroDesigns) writes:

> and will we be seeing any of the following rumoured products:
>
> 	* 8-bit mouse
>
> 	* mouse-based desktop system
>
> Andy Weaver / akw@osupyr.UUCP / 614.293.1195 or .292.1741

There is (was) a company called Zobian Controls in PA that advertized in
ANTIC that had a mouse called the SuperRat and an operating system called
RAOS (Rat Actuated Operating System) that gives you windowing and icons
just like the ST.  I would like to have one of these to play with.  Does
anyone have one or know if the company is still in business?  They do not
answer their phone (and their ad is not in the May issue of ANTIC).  I
have written to them but I will not send a check until I can actually talk
to someone and confirm that I will receive something in return.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!iwvae!kimes

"I'm carrying the weight of all the useless junk a modern man accumulates.
I'm a statistic in a system that a civil servant dominates."
	_Running On Ice_ -Billy Joel

neil@atari.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <175@osupyr.UUCP>, akw@osupyr.UUCP (FarOff MicroDesigns) writes:

> 	When can we see a shipping date on the following promised
> products:
>
> 	* XEP-80, 80-column adapter for the 8-bit Ataris
> 	  (and will it have some software, and will it
> 	   support the 400/800s?)
>
> 	* SX212 3/12 Modem

Both due sometime in June.  Perhaps late May on the modem.

> 	* 3.5" disk drive

No word on a delivery date.

> 	  (and will we see SpartaDOS, DOS XL or another such
> 	   software support for said beast be packaged with it)

We are working on a DOS project.  Looks nice.

> 	* XE Game Machine (yuk)

June is the schedule on this.  Don't say yuk -- it is the best hope we have
for reopening the mass merchants as a distribution channel for 8-bit
products.

> and will we be seeing any of the following rumoured products:
>
> 	* 8-bit mouse
>
> 	* mouse-based desktop system

Probably never.  Who starts these rumors anyway?
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (04/09/87)

Neil wants to know who started the rumor about the 8 bit mouse.  Well
a while ago Zorban controls was selling a mouse and RAOS (Rat
Operating System).  So does ATARI have any plans to release such an
OS?  Will the DOS for the 3.5" drive support any "GEM-type", i.e.,
using the cursor, or joystick as a mouse???
--
 Marc L. Appelbaum 				"If life is a game of chess
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu                 and you and I are pawns

neil@atari.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <10876@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

> a while ago Zorban controls was selling a mouse and RAOS (Rat
> Operating System).

Actually, while they took out several full-page color ads for the mouse and
RAOS, to the best of my information there were none ever shipped.  In fact,
Zobian had pre-paid for a booth at the Allentown Atari Expo, not far from
his home, and was a no-show.  I doubt this product is ever going to happen.

On the other hand, if something like this were developed, Atari Corporation
would be seriously interested in helping.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

neil@atari.UUCP (04/10/87)

In article <186@osupyr.UUCP>, akw@osupyr.UUCP (FarOff MicroDesigns) writes:

> Neil, will the XE Game Machine come with keyboard expansion, etc. to make
> it a legitamate computer and NOT (I repeat **NOT**) a mutulated 800 like
> the 5200 "Super-dumb System" was?

Not only is there a keyboard expansion, but the keyboard is *included* when
you buy the unit.  This is ostensibly to provide a controller for more
sophisticated games that need the keyboard, like Flight Simulator (which
will be one of the three pieces of software bundled with the system).

You also get 64K of RAM, the standard XL/XE OS and BASIC in ROM, and an SIO
port.

Isn't marketing interesting?  Mass merchants who won't touch 8-bit computers
with a 10-foot pole are dying to get their hands on this XE game system.

--

akw@osupyr.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <708@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>Not only is there a keyboard expansion, but the keyboard is *included* when
>you buy the unit.

Neil -- this is very reassuring... even though I don't prefer the label
'Game System,' at least we won't see the 8-bit line disappear.  Will we
see a parallel bus as well?

>sophisticated games that need the keyboard, like Flight Simulator (which
>will be one of the three pieces of software bundled with the system).

Very interesting!  Glad to hear about FlightSim!

>Isn't marketing interesting?  Mass merchants who won't touch 8-bit computers
>with a 10-foot pole are dying to get their hands on this XE game system.

Yes, marketing is interesting... too bad the rest of the world isn't like
Columbus, where there are *many* Atari 8-bit owners buying *much* software
and hardware.  C'est la vie...