[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 8 bit 80 columns

DYOUNG@A.ISI.EDU.UUCP (04/13/87)

>I guess my line should have read, "...can only display 40 columns legibly
>IN MY OPINION..."  I can't stand Omniview, and prefer the crispness of the
>Atari XEP80 (which is fantastic!) or an ST or an IBM (at even 640x200).
>Maybe it's just that I don't like my lower case N's to look like this bit
>map:
>                 N N
>                 NNN
>                 N N

>I'm sorry;  I prefer using my Ampex 220 terminal to the Omniview (even
>though it has a bit higher resolution, i.e. four times as many pixels).

You should have said "in my MISGUIDED SNOOTY opinion".  Lower case N's
don't look anything like your representation.  I suggest you become
better informed about a subject before expressing such strong opinions
in a public forum.  The other comparisons you make are ludicrous.  How
are the ST, IBM, or Ampex 220 terminal going to help you get 80 columns
on your 8 bit Atari?  Only the XEP80 falls correctly into that category
and it is not even available.  The OMNIVIEW on the other hand has been
available for years and has thousands of satisfied users.

David Young

P.S. Do you think Atari is really serious about supporting the XEP80?  I
was promised by Richard Frick (I hope that is spelled correctly) of
Atari before Christmas that I would be shipped a prototype XEP80 within
2 weeks so that I could see about converting my 80 column software to
it.  Have not heard from them since.
-------

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <8704131253.AA11433@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DYOUNG@A.ISI.EDU (C. David Young) writes:
> >I guess my line should have read, "...can only display 40 columns legibly
> >IN MY OPINION..."  I can't stand Omniview, and prefer the crispness of the
> >Atari XEP80 (which is fantastic!) or an ST or an IBM (at even 640x200).
>
> You should have said "in my MISGUIDED SNOOTY opinion".  Lower case N's
> don't look anything like your representation.  I suggest you become
> better informed about a subject before expressing such strong opinions
> in a public forum.  The other comparisons you make are ludicrous.  How
> are the ST, IBM, or Ampex 220 terminal going to help you get 80 columns
> on your 8 bit Atari?  Only the XEP80 falls correctly into that category
> and it is not even available.  The OMNIVIEW on the other hand has been
> available for years and has thousands of satisfied users.
>
> David Young
>
> P.S. Do you think Atari is really serious about supporting the XEP80?  I
> was promised by Richard Frick (I hope that is spelled correctly) of
> Atari before Christmas that I would be shipped a prototype XEP80 within
> 2 weeks so that I could see about converting my 80 column software to
> it.  Have not heard from them since.
> -------

I guess all Californians are snooty, eh Dave?  I've had an Omniview for
about 3 years now, I think I've used it enough to realize I don't really
like it.  Call it snooty if you will.  I can't see how you can blast
someone from giving an honest opinion.

And although it's not a supported product, I might add it is quite simple
to use a terminal on an 8 bit... use SpartaDOS (an excellent product, and
the 80 columns on their MIO board looks quite nice, I might add it is worth
waiting for) to redirect to and from the serial port.  It's really not
effective (costwise and usage) but it isn't as difficult as you point it
out to be.

Lastly, Atari lent me an XEP80 to use for display at the West Coast
Computer Faire.  A nice unit also, and AtariWriter+ for it makes it an easy
transition from 40 columns to 80.  It also has a standard printer port (ala
ST, IBM, etc.) on the back so if you need an interface at least you won't
have to hunt down a funky cable.  It may be vaporware, but I feel it's
worth waiting for as it's a product which will breathe new life into MY 8
bit.

(By the way, I DID go out and get a monochrome monitor to use it with.  You
want praise?  OK, you did a good job making a 4x8 character set.  But 4x8
just is not acceptable to me.  'Nuff said.)

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (04/13/87)

Forgot something...

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____