[comp.sys.atari.8bit] omnicom miscellany

SULLIVAN@suny-bing.CSNET (04/16/87)

Nick DiMasi writes:

> I have managed to get CDY's OmniCom (some call it Omniterm) VT100
> emulator that uses his OMNIVIEW 80-column chip to work OK, except
> that I am having a problem.  When I login  to  this  UNIX  system
> (essentially  System  V Rls 2.0, actually UTS 5.?.? on an Amdahl)
> and bring up vi, as soon as the editor clears the screen, OmniCom
> "locks  up"  on  me  (no  cursor  or  response to keys). The same
> problem occurs when I'm in "more" and I type 'q'  to  quit.

I use OmniCom on an model 800 dinosaur, so I don't know if the following is
relevant.  I don't have a problem with lockup at the beginning of vi,
or after 'q' in more, but I do experience (infrequently) a lockup if
the machine sits for a few minutes, or sometimes (seemingly) at random.
I discovered that when this happens, doing option - b unlocks things, and
everything is back to normal.  This is somewhat comforting.  Option - b is
supposed to send a break, but doesn't send anything which is recognized as
a break by either Unix or our resident IBM main-pig.  I guess it's only
reasonable that it be good for something.

Since your problem occurs when using vi, it may be that the vs and ve
entries are doing it.  vs is "visual start" (send by vi to initialize) and
ve is "visual end".  My termcap entries for vt100 don't use these, but maybe
yours do.  It seems strange that more would send something like this,
though.  I suggest that you look at the termcap to find these, and
experiment if they're defined.  You may be able to put in a new termcap entry
without whatever the offending string is.

One comment on termcaps -- the only problem I've had is using GNU-Emacs at 2400
baud.  When scrolling up, OmniCom just can't keep up.  For those who aren't
in the GNU, Richard Stallman thinks that x-on x-off is a stupid method of
flow control and refuses to use it.  If I ever do anything half as impressive
as GNU-Emacs, I'll feel qualified to take issue with this viewpoint.  In fact,
ctrl-s is the key binding for a search.  Since I really didn't want to change
that key binding, I had to fix things so the old 800 could keep up.  I did this
by putting reverse-scroll delay in the termcap.

A comment about monitor hookups.  It is crucial that the monitor output be
hooked to the luminance pin and not the composite pin.  This causes some
problems with other programs -- you can't distinguish colors at all any more
(colors show up as patterns on a green screen with monitor output hooked to
composite), but it makes Omniview usable.  (The display is terrible
otherwise).

Despite any problems or complaints that I have, I still think that Omni...
was well worth the $49.95 (yes, dinosaurs are more expensive) I paid for it.

Fred Sullivan
Dept. Math. Sci
SUNY at Binghamton

sullivan@suny-bing.csnet

"At last I'm a person rather than a number!!!"