[comp.sys.atari.8bit] 6502 vs 68000

2FK8ALIN@UKANVAX.BITNET (04/27/87)

Date:     Mon, 27 Apr 87 12:24 CST
From:     <2FK8ALIN@UKANVAX.BITNET>
Subject:  6502 vs 68000
To:       info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In his message of 23 Apr 87 John Sangster writes that a 1.8 MHz
6502 might beat an 8.0 MHz 68000 in certain tasks.  This is not true.
It is true that the quickest 6502 instruction is only 2 clock cycles,
but it is NOT true that the quickest 68000 instruction is 14.  In fact,
the fastest 68000 instruction is but 4 cycles long - the average instruction
is around 12-14 cycles.
Compare this to the 6502's AVERAGE of about 4-5 cycles per instruction
(only CLC, INY, etc. take 2 cycles).  At about 4 times slower than the 8.0 MHz
68000, NOTHING is faster on a
6502.  I do agree that the 8 bit
machines have many virtues, and I love my 6502 Atari 800, but the 68000
is much more powerful, even if more
complex.  One more point: the 6502 accesses memory every clock cycle,
while the 68000 takes a full 4 to do
so.  This gives the 6502 a few advantages, but it still cannot outperform
the 68000 unless the clock speeds are much closer to each other.

-Eric Greene