[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Kayan Pascal

2FKKAPSE@UKANVAX.BITNET (05/08/87)

Date:     Thu, 7 May 87 19:11 CST
From:     <2FKKAPSE@UKANVAX.BITNET>
Subject:  Kayan Pascal
To:       info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

As a parting remark in his comments about ACTION!, Fred Sullivan
asked how good Kayan Pascal is.

I have been using Kayan now since before Christmas and it works
fairly well.  It is a full implementation of the ISO standard.

Beware, however.  Kayan Pascal produces HUGE code.  Typical of
most non-optimized code written by pascal compilers, the
Kayan code appears upon disassembly to be filled wtih run-time
error checking, which some consider a useless distraction.
Needless to say, the finished product will be SLOW.

Kayan's best feature is the ability to stick assembly routines
directly in the code.  This appears to be the best way around
the run-time error checking.

If you want optimal compiled code, stick with ACTION! (or assembly.)
If you want the best (in my opinion) implementation of ISO pascal
available for the 8-bits and are really not concerned wtih how big your
object files get, Kayan is definitley worth it.

One final comment: The combination of Kayan Pascal and a good code
optimizer would make a terrific programming tool.  Hint, hint:
has anybody beaten me to it, or do I have to do all the work myself?

--Jim Sisul
  The University of Kansas