[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Misc

8440827@wwu.EDU.UUCP (05/08/87)

   I have been told that the Atari 400 is incapable of supporting a 1200 baud
modem.  Anyone know if this is true or not.  I don't see why it wouldn't.

   Does anyone know what the pin configuration for a standard RS-232
25 pin connector is?  I.e. pin 4 data send etc.

   Finally, I see adverts all the time from Radio Shack for replacement
keyboards, however I have yet to see one that they make that will connect
to my 400.  Can you alter the output pins from the keyboard to match the
Atari?  Is there a full stroke keyboard around that will connect to the 400?
(Other than the b-key).

Dave

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (05/08/87)

The 400 does support a 1200 baud modem, currently you need either the
ATARI 850 or PR connection.
--
                            Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu                 Bitnet:appelbaum@zodiac.bitnet

hzatz@tybalt.caltech.edu (Harold R. Zatz) (05/08/87)

In article <8705080919.AA08937@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 8440827@wwu.EDU (lafitup!) writes:

>   Finally, I see adverts all the time from Radio Shack for replacement
>keyboards, however I have yet to see one that they make that will connect
>to my 400.  Can you alter the output pins from the keyboard to match the
>Atari?  Is there a full stroke keyboard around that will connect to the 400?
>(Other than the b-key).

In general, no. I purchased one of the Radio Shack Keyboards once-- when
they had ADAM remnants. The reason you can't do it easily is that all
keyboards, in general, are matrixed differently. Computers send a certain
number of lines out to their keyboards, and require a certain number of lines
of responses. These lines vary from computer to computer. For example,
an Atari Keyboard might sense a letter "J" when it sends out on it's first
line and receives a signal on its first input line. Another Keyboard might
put "J" somewhere else entirely. Furthermore, even writing a translator
program is difficult, because different keyboards have different numbers of
input and output lines.

Does this mean you're stuck? Of course not. There are lots of mail order places
that you can order real Atari keyboards from. I'm sure the other people on
the net who know what these places are would be happy to tell you.

Good luck!
--"H"

"Twas brillig and the slithy toves   BITnet:     hzatz@citromeo.bitnet
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;     UUCP:       !ucbvax!hzatz@romeo.caltech.edu
All mimsy were the Borogroves,       ARPAnet:    hzatz@romeo.caltech.edu
And the mome raths, outgrabe..."     USmail:     Dabney House 1-58 / Caltech
I'm Harold R. Zatz, a.k.a. "H".                  Pasadena, CA 91126

ma179abl@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (David Yip) (05/10/87)

You can buy any keyboard with spst switching and rewire it according
to the schematic for the atari keyboard.  While a bit tedious it
does work.