[comp.sys.atari.8bit] New ATARI Drives

appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) (05/11/87)

In the May issue of ANALOG there was a little note about the 3.5" disk
drive.  According to ANALOG ATARI scrapped the 3.5" in favor of a 5
1/4".  The drive will be a DS/DD, and compatiable with the Indus,
Rana, Trak, etc.  Also the ADOS that was being written for the 3.5" in
now being rewritten for the 5 1/4" dirve.

Neil, can you confirm or deny this?  Please confirm it, as a 5 1/4"
DSDD drive would really add more power to my already  powerful 1200XL.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (05/12/87)

In article <11893@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

> In the May issue of ANALOG there was a little note about the 3.5" disk
> drive.  According to ANALOG ATARI scrapped the 3.5" in favor of a 5
> 1/4".  The drive will be a DS/DD, and compatiable with the Indus,
> Rana, Trak, etc.  Also the ADOS that was being written for the 3.5" in
> now being rewritten for the 5 1/4" dirve.
>
> Neil, can you confirm or deny this?  Please confirm it, as a 5 1/4"

If we redesign the disk drive for the 8-bits (possible but not yet
definite), it will be done much as described.  This makes much more sense
than doing a 3.5" drive for the 8-bits -- how would you load existing 8-bit
software into a 3.5" drive?  By folding the disk in half, perhaps? :-)

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

hah@omepd.UUCP (05/14/87)

In article <729@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>In article <11893@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:
>>
>> In the May issue of ANALOG there was a little note about the 3.5" disk
>> drive.  According to ANALOG ATARI scrapped the 3.5" in favor of a 5
>> 1/4".  The drive will be a DS/DD, and compatiable with the Indus,
>> Rana, Trak, etc.  Also the ADOS that was being written for the 3.5" in
>> now being rewritten for the 5 1/4" dirve.
>>
>> Neil, can you confirm or deny this?  Please confirm it, as a 5 1/4"
>
>If we redesign the disk drive for the 8-bits (possible but not yet
>definite), it will be done much as described.  This makes much more sense
>than doing a 3.5" drive for the 8-bits -- how would you load existing 8-bit
>software into a 3.5" drive?  By folding the disk in half, perhaps? :-)
>
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

How about a little thingie called a TOOL.  This TOOL has just one function
in life... to copy files from a disk written under one file format onto
a second disk written using a MUCH improved file format.  The Atari 810
file format IS the worst disk format in the industry.

Hans