Date: Wed 13 May 87 21:55:21 PDT
Subject: Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #43
From: Info-Atari8 Digest <Info-Atari8@Score.Stanford.EDU>
To: Info-Atari8 Distribution List: ;

-------

Mailer@ECLA.USC.EDU.UUCP (05/17/87)

Message undelivered after 2 days -- will try for another 1 day:
*PS:<BBOARD>INFO-ATARI.TXT@GUMBY.#DECnet: Cannot connect to host
	    ------------
Date: Wed 13 May 87 21:55:21 PDT
From: Info-Atari8 Digest <Info-Atari8@Score.Stanford.EDU>
To: Info-Atari8 Distribution List: ;

-------

Mailer@ECLA.USC.EDU (The Mailer Daemon) (05/18/87)

Message undeliverable and dequeued after 3 days:
Date: Wed 13 May 87 21:55:21 PDT
From: Info-Atari8 Digest <Info-Atari8@Score.Stanford.EDU>
To: Info-Atari8 Distribution List: ;

Info-Atari8 Digest   Wednesday, May 13, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 43

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                          1200 bps on a 400
                           New ATARI Drives
                            Audio question
                   Arc, ArcX, C compilers, whatnot
                         Re: New ATARI Drives
                   Re: Is Atari killing the 8 bit?
                          Re: Modem Software
                     For sale: Atari merchandise
                        Re: keyboard for a 400
                 ACTION! Bug Sheets in Printer Format
                              Flames!!!
                        Stereo-tek 3D-glasses

To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: 1200 bps on a 400
Date: Mon, 11 May 87 09:30:05 -0400
From: Marshall D. Abrams <abrams%community-chest.mitre.org@gateway.mitre.org>

detached keyboard on a ribbon cable. I also have a Ven Tel 1200 bps
modem connected through an 850.

I run VT10SQ extensively, and AMODEM when I need file transfer. I
would be interested in getting a working Kermit. I tried Chameleon and
found that it didn't work perfectly and that I couldn't get used to
the horizontal scrolling.

I have wiring diagrams etc somewhere in my files from when I added the
keyboard and would be willing to share them with anyone who needs
them. Please contact me directly about this.

Concerning VT10SQ: The author retired from MITRE and moved to a
trailer park in Florida.  I have his address and will write him (USPS)
concerning the availability of source code.  Will those people who
expressed an interest in adding file transfer also please get in touch
with me.

Sincerely,

 - Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z670, Mc Lean, VA   22102
   alternate e-mail address: abrams@mitre.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 87 14:00:38 GMT
From: appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu  (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Subject: New ATARI Drives
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In the May issue of ANALOG there was a little note about the 3.5" disk
drive.  According to ANALOG ATARI scrapped the 3.5" in favor of a 5
1/4".  The drive will be a DS/DD, and compatiable with the Indus,
Rana, Trak, etc.  Also the ADOS that was being written for the 3.5" in
now being rewritten for the 5 1/4" dirve.

Neil, can you confirm or deny this?  Please confirm it, as a 5 1/4"
DSDD drive would really add more power to my already  powerful 1200XL.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 May 87 16:39 EDT
From: John R. Dunning <jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Audio question
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

Does anyone know if there are any funny interactions between the 4
"voices" on an 800 and it's handling of devices out on the serial bus?
I know they're both handled by POKEY, but can't find anything in any of
my doc that says they're not independent.  Nonetheless, when I've got a
serial line open (thru an 850), and try to make noises, the serial line
parameters, ie baud rate, and perhaps other things, seem to get
completely screwed.  Data to/from the port gets garbled, needless to
say.  Closing and opening the port cleans it up.  By picking different
voices, I've been able to screw up keyboard reading as well.

Anybody run into anything like this?

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 87 14:31:52 GMT
From: oliveb!pyramid!prls!philabs!tg!dasys1!ssegan@ames.arpa  (Sascha Segan)
Subject: Arc, ArcX, C compilers, whatnot
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

Recently, I've heard of a few problems with my programs.
Ugh. Seems like the Net has slightly 'altered' them in transit.
Since right now I'm calling on V10SQR, I'll repost everything in under
three days. And the files will NOT be arced.
About this custom version of C --- when will it be ready? Will it have
docs? Okay......WILL YOU POST IT ON THE NET?
(By the way, if possible, make it compatible with ACE C's  FASTC.COM. This
program does the P-code optimizing for you.)
----Sascha!

--
Sascha Segan                     {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix     {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ssegan

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 87 17:15:53 GMT
From: imagen!atari!neil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Neil Harris)
Subject: Re: New ATARI Drives
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <11893@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, appelbau@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

> In the May issue of ANALOG there was a little note about the 3.5" disk
> drive.  According to ANALOG ATARI scrapped the 3.5" in favor of a 5
> 1/4".  The drive will be a DS/DD, and compatiable with the Indus,
> Rana, Trak, etc.  Also the ADOS that was being written for the 3.5" in
> now being rewritten for the 5 1/4" dirve.
>
> Neil, can you confirm or deny this?  Please confirm it, as a 5 1/4"

If we redesign the disk drive for the 8-bits (possible but not yet
definite), it will be done much as described.  This makes much more sense
than doing a 3.5" drive for the 8-bits -- how would you load existing 8-bit
software into a 3.5" drive?  By folding the disk in half, perhaps? :-)

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 87 17:57:38 GMT
From: imagen!atari!neil@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Neil Harris)
Subject: Re: Is Atari killing the 8 bit?
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

We come again to that perpetual question: is Atari intent on killing the
8-bits?

One way to answer that would be to give you a tour of our warehouse.  If you
could see the number of 8-bit computers and software in inventory, you'd
know we are highly motivated to keep the line going.

Regarding the new XE Game System, which on the first glance is a slap in
the face to those who know how powerful the 8-bitters are -- this system is
purely a strategic move on our part.  In order to keep the 8-bit line going,
we must do two things:

1. Get the computers available in more stores, and
2. Get new software developed for them.

Software is not being developed by and large because of problem #1.  So
which stores do we go to?  The mass merchants, who sold the bulk of the
hundreds of thousands (not, unfortunately, millions) of Atari 8-bit
computers out there, are currently retreating from the computer business.
K-Mart carries NO computers.  Ditto for Montgomery Wards.  And for J.C.
Penney's.

On the other hand, these same stores are doing a fabulous business in game
systems like Nintendo, Sega, and, of course, Atari.

The solution, from a business point of view, was to develop a product that
would be appealing to the mass merchants (and also to the public which buys
there), one that also accomplishes the corporate objective of revitalizing
the 8-bit line.

So what we have with the XE Game System is essentially a 65XE in disguise.
Internally it contains 64K of RAM, the standard OS and BASIC in ROM, two
joystick ports, SIO port, etc.  It is completely compatible with the current
8-bit line, including software.

Physically it is more appealing to those who don't want a computer but who
do want to play games.  The main console simply has the 4 console keys from
the XE (Start, Select, Option, and Reset), plus the cartridge port and
connectors.  The keyboard is a separate unit which plugs into the console.

When someone buys the XE Game System, they get the complete package --
console, keyboard, light gun, and 3 programs (including a new version of
Sublogic's Flight Simulator including scenery, all on a single cartridge).

We expect stores to do a great business in these.  We'll make available the
current library of cartridge software, plus we're converting some disk
programs into cartridge format for this system.  As time goes by, we expect
to see dramatic increases in sales for 8-bit software -- hopefully, this
will also include practical applications as well as games.  This should in
turn encourage developers to create new titles for the 8-bits.

Once things get moving again in the mass merchants, the current supply of
8-bit computers should also get moving through the dealers -- after all,
they make a better value than the game systems, and take up less space.

So, those few of you out there who are looking at Atari management as the
evil group who are plotting to quash the 8-bit line, you have it all wrong.
We're trying hard to keep things moving forward.  Without the distribution
and the software, no amount of advertising and new hardware development
could work.  The XE Game System is our best hope to keep things moving.

Date: 12 May 87 20:57:25 GMT
From: mtune!io!granjon!packard!benw@RUTGERS.EDU  (B Weber)
Subject: Re: Modem Software
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

-----

The best PD terminal program I've used is Express (in 1030,
850 and MPP flavors...you'd need 850 Express).  It was
written by Keith Ledbetter and is available on
Compuserve (and, I imagine, most bulletin boards and
online services).  If you can't get it, let me know and
I'll try to get a copy to you.

				Ben Weber
				ficit!benw

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 87 04:20:34 GMT
From: uwmcsd1!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!pirc2499@unix.macc.wisc.edu  (James Franc Pirc)
Subject: For sale: Atari merchandise
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

My friend selling some Atari equipment.  If interested leave me mail
on the net or on GEnie.

Atari 800 (64K)
Atari 800XL
Atari 1050 (unmodified)
Indus GT drive
Atari cassette recorder (not the 1010)
(and an Alien voice box if he can find the software)

Please leave an offer.

He is getting desparate so he may take just about anything (reasonable).

James
 ________________________________
/                                \
|UUCP: pirc2499@csd4.milw.wi.edu |
|Genie: JIM.PIRC                 |

------------------------------

To: Disaster Area <8440827%wwu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Re: keyboard for a 400
Date: Wed, 13 May 87 08:46:36 -0400
From: Marshall D. Abrams <abrams%community-chest.mitre.org@gateway.mitre.org>

The source of my keyboard is out of business, but I think you can
probably use one of those offered by Radio Shack after a little work.

The first requirement is that it must be an unencoded keyboard.  That
is, pressing a key closes a contact between a pair of wires, as
compared to causing a bit stream to be transmitted.  If you can't find
a keyboard without the keys already wired in the switching matrix, it
may be necessary to remove all the wiring from the back of the keys.

Select a keyboard with enough keys.  You may find that some of the
special function keys, such as TAB, ESC, and CTRL are in a different
physical position than on the Atari keyboard.  That doesn't bother me.
If there aren't enough keys for START, BREAK, etc, these can be
implemented off the keyboard with push buttons.

I have the wiring diagrams for the key matrix and will be happy to
supply it on request.

- Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 7525 Colshire Drive
   Mail Stop Z670, Mc Lean, VA   22102

------------------------------

Posted-From: The MITRE Corp., Bedford, MA
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: ACTION! Bug Sheets in Printer Format
Date: Wed, 13 May 87 17:51:37 EDT
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.ARPA

I have edited a copy of the recent ACTION! Bug Sheets posting into 80-column
format, suitable for printing on a 12-pitch printer.  If anybody wants a copy
I can e-mail it.  It's a little more compact than the 40-column version and
makes a nice printed reference manual.  The code examples are left in their
original format.

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 17:40:58 PDT
From: <DFLINT02%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Flames!!!

Date:          Wed, 13 May 87 20:34 EDT
From:          <DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET>
To:            info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

FELLOW ATARI USERS:

Why did 2 of the best micro ever made have to manufacuted and marketed by Atari
Inc? Tramiels don't take this to personal.  Atari must be a cursed company.
they usually have good ideas, but they fail to execute them effectively or on
time.

The Atari stock bonanza pumped some capital into the struggling company,but to
no avail. Neil did you say that atari would no longer make promises they can't
deliver. What happen to the Atari PC 'GEM' bundle. Why is the FCC giving the
Mega-ST's such a hard time. I sure Atari did not do anything to add to the
FCC's red tape. The Amii chip Did NCR ever produce a working version?
Let's not talk about the 8-bit arena Atari has faired miserable in this area.
A large % of the Xm301 modems were slighty defective. About half of the 130XE
have inferior keyboards(ultra thin traces).

ST-blitter 1-1/2 yr's late,1040 ST heat problems, Need i say more.

ATARI get you act together!!!!!!

William M. Buford
DFLINT02@ulkyvx.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 May 87 17:41:04 PDT
From: <DFLINT02%ULKYVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: Stereo-tek 3D-glasses

Date:          Wed, 13 May 87 20:33 EDT
From:          <DFLINT02@ULKYVX.BITNET>
To:            info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

ST-and-STereo-tek users:

Do the stereo tek glases come with adaquit doccumentation on their use?
Why is the ST so well suited for use of this device? Could an 8-bit interface
for the 3D glasses be constructed?. I want concrete technical facts on why or
why not this would work.

William (mike) Buford
Dflint02@ulkyvx.bitnet

End of Info-Atari8 Digest