[comp.sys.atari.8bit] Request for information

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (05/10/87)

	Please help this guy.  Reply directly to him or post to the group.
(I'm just forwarding the message, please don't reply to me).

From: lafitup! <8440827%wwu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: info-atari8-request@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  Modem Software

I need to find a terminal program to use with my modem.  It's not
a direct connect and works at 300/1200 baud.  I want to be able to
download, upload and all that fun stuff.   My one major restriction
is that I only have 32K.  I would prefer something in the PD or Freeware
area.  Any help would be appreciated.

Dave Kinsman

From: lafitup! <8440827%wwu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: INFO-ATARI8-REQUEST@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  Atari 400 & baud rate / keyboards

I've got two questions:

1) can the Atari 400 handle a 1200 baud modem.  I've been told by the
   local Atari guy here in Bellingham that the hardware of the old 400
   is such that it can't handle a 1200 baud modem.  Anybody out there
   know for sure if this is true or not?

2) Is there an external keyboard that can be attached to the 400. I had
   the membrane board and then upgraded to the b-key keyboard.  I see
   all the time adverts for replacement keyboards and was wodering if
   there was one that would connect or that you could make connect to
   the 400.

Dave Kinsman

john@viperLynx.MN.ORG (John Stanley) (05/19/87)

 >1) can the Atari 400 handle a 1200 baud modem.  I've been told by the
 >   local Atari guy here in Bellingham that the hardware of the old 400
 >   is such that it can't handle a 1200 baud modem.  Anybody out there
 >   know for sure if this is true or not?

  Dave, the "local Atari guy" should go home and sleep off whatever
he's been smoking... :)

  The 8bit Ataris are quite capable of handling 1200 baud and even
faster.  It all depends on the software being used.  Back before I
switched most of my home computing to the ST, I was using an old
Atari 800 at 1200 baud and ocassionaly 2400 baud (running a Basic
and assembly language program) for my primary terminal.  It worked fine...

  The Atari 400 is, hardware wise, virtualy identical to the 800 in
all the areas relating to I/O transfer rate.  With a memory expansion
and an improved keyboard there would be no difference...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john