[comp.sys.atari.8bit] White House Computer experiences?

fisher@star.dec.com.UUCP (06/02/87)

Hi everyone,

Over 3 weeks ago, I ordered a US Doubler from White House Computers in
Williamsport PA (ordered by phone, paid by plastic).  I expected to get the
package within a few days as I always had with other mail order houses.
However, nothing has come yet, although the charge has appeared on my credit
card bill.  I will start the charge-back procedure if I can't get anything
out of them!

The worst thing is that I can't reach them on the phone any more. They have 2
numbers; an 800 number for orders and a 717 number for service.  The latter is
open from 10 to 4 EDT.  If I call outside of those hours on the 717 number, it
rings and rings with no answer. Otherwise it is busy.  I called quite literally
a hundred times and it was always busy.  Finally, I decided to get clever:  I
called at 9:45 and let it ring figuring they would answer it when they opened
up.  It rang for 25 minutes before I gave up.  Of course when I called back
immediately after, it was busy again.

As to their 800 number, it now rings and rings with no answer.

Question:  Has anyone successfully gotten any merchandise from White House
(they have a big ad on the inside front cover of Antic)?  Does anyone know if
they are still in business?  Even more interesting, has anyone talked to them
on the phone lately?

Thanks for any information.

Burns
fisher@star.dec.com

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (06/03/87)

In article <10176@decwrl.DEC.COM> fisher@star.dec.com (Burns Fisher ZKO1-1/D42 DTN 381-1466) writes:
>Over 3 weeks ago, I ordered a US Doubler from White House Computers in
>Williamsport PA (ordered by phone, paid by plastic).  I expected to get the
>package within a few days as I always had with other mail order houses.
>However, nothing has come yet, although the charge has appeared on my credit
>card bill.  I will start the charge-back procedure if I can't get anything
>out of them!

Last summer, I ordered a 1050 drive & an Avatex modem from White House.
The hardware arrived in short order, however, neither worked.  I sent them
back in the separate cartons they had arrived in, with the return
authorization they had given me.  They replaced the modem in about two
weeks, but claimed to have never received the drive.  I was therefore
stuck for the $140. it cost me, since I had foolishly failed to send
the things return-receipt, ASSUMING it wouldn't be needed.  AmEx said
since it HAD been received originally, and I had no record of returning
it, that I was stuck for the charge.

I hope you have no trouble with the charge-back, and frankly I'd love
to hear that they've gone belly-up.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant, ATT ISL
UUCP: rutgers!mtune!rkh				DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are."  - Buckaroo Banzai

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/04/87)

    I attempted to buy an ICD R-Time 8 clock cartridge from White
House a month ago.  When two weeks passed and I still hadn't got the
time of day, I dialed White house and had the same problems mentioned
above ( no answer on the order line, endless busy signal on the
customer service line ).  I eventually gave up and bought the clock
from a local retailer.

    The Better Business Bureau of Penn. says they have recorded
several complaints about White House Computers.  I've also notified
Antic magazine, and gotten a complaint form from the Penn. state
government, which I've failed to send in.  Perhaps if we all did...

   --Mark Knutsen

-----
* Call the JACG BBS: (201)298-0161 *