[comp.sys.atari.8bit] terminal emulation

steven@lakesys.UUCP (05/30/87)

I run a news site in Milwuakee Wisconsin and have recently receive many
questions from atari users as to "what is a good terminal emulation package
I can use for my 8 bit on a Unix system?"  Are any of you atari users familar
with a good package for this?

Would greatly appreciate a personal responce to this via the address below.

thanks

--
Steven Goodman
Lake Systems   Milwaukee, Wisconsin

appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) (06/01/87)

In article <126@lakesys.UUCP>, steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:
> I run a news site in Milwuakee Wisconsin and have recently receive many
> questions from atari users as to "what is a good terminal emulation package
> I can use for my 8 bit on a Unix system?"  Are any of you atari users familar
> with a good package for this?
>
> Would greatly appreciate a personal responce to this via the address below.

There are a few good terminal emulators for the 8bit.
	Chameleon - emulates a VT52, ADM3A, and others (19.95, ANTIC Catalog)
	Kermit    - emulates a VT52 (free)
	VT10SQ 	  - emulates a VT100 (free)

I've used all three of them and they all do good emulation.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

crd9852@ritcv.UUCP (Charlie Dennett) (06/01/87)

In article <12360@topaz.rutgers.edu> appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

>There are a few good terminal emulators for the 8bit.
>	Chameleon - emulates a VT52, ADM3A, and others (19.95, ANTIC Catalog)
>	Kermit    - emulates a VT52 (free)
>	VT10SQ 	  - emulates a VT100 (free)
>
>I've used all three of them and they all do good emulation.
Ok.  let me add my $0.02.  Chameleon also includes some file transfer protocols.I know it includes Kermit since I've used it.  I think it also includes
XModem and some form of capture, but I've never had the need to use those.

Chameleon is good if you can get used to the right/left scrolling.  VT10SQ
isn't that easy to read on my color monitor.  Never tried it with a B/W.

Charlie Dennett
UUCP: ...!seismo!rochester!ritcv!ritisis!crd9852
UUCP: ...!seismo!rochester!ritcv!crd9852
GEnie: C.DENjeit'

ehs@jumbo.UUCP (06/02/87)

I have used all three of the terminal emulators mentioned by Marc
Appelbaum (Chameleon, Kermit and VT10SQ) and each has been useful.  They
all have shortcomings for talking to Unix systems though.  Chameleon and
Kermit create an 80-character line by using normal Atari character
graphics to display ca. 40 characters and giving you [shift] START to
control horizontal scrolling.  OK for file transfer, but I find this
intolerable for reading mail or for any kind of editing.  VT10SQ uses
bit-map graphics to create an 80 x 24 screen.  I believe that the VT100
emulation is incomplete; the combination of VT10SQ, the VT100 termcap on
our system, and Emacs (Unipress version) doesn't seem to be usable.  Also,
VT10SQ seems to have some strange ideas about character mappings.  As far
as I know, the sources aren't available for fixes or customization.

I've recently had good luck with VT52A.ACT, an ACTION! program posted here
by Michael Jenkin in May 1986.  It uses bit-map graphics to get 80
characters like VT10SQ.  In my opinion, the characters are somewhat more
readable.  It emulates a VT52 (optionally, an extended VT52) that seems to
get along much better with Emacs.  The address on the original posting
was ...!utcari!utai!jenkin if you want to inquire about availability and
possible updates.

Ed Satterthwaite
Digital Systems Research Center, Palo Alto, CA
Arpa: ehs@src.dec.com
Uucp: ...!decwrl!ehs

njd@ihlpm.ATT.COM (DiMasi) (06/03/87)

In article <12360@topaz.rutgers.edu>, appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) writes:

> There are a few good terminal emulators for the 8bit.
> 	Chameleon - emulates a VT52, ADM3A, and others (19.95, ANTIC Catalog)
> 	Kermit    - emulates a VT52 (free)
> 	VT10SQ 	  - emulates a VT100 (free)

There is another VT100 emulator available for the 8-bit Ataris.  It is called
OmniCom, and runs on an 8-bit with the 80-column OMNIVIEW chip installed.
I have never used VT10SQ, so I can't speak from personal experience,
but I understand that OmniCom is an improvement over VT10SQ.  Besides VT100
emulation (in 80 cols. of course), it also offers Kermit and Xmodem, and the
latest version has ascii capture and a print-screen feature.  I am quite
pleased with it (I don't even have the latest version yet!).  I _have_ used
the Kermit + VT52 emulator, and the old Chameleon, and was more than ready
for 80 columns.

Nick DiMasi  ..!ihnp4!ihlpm!njd

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/04/87)

     Atari's 80-column device should make possible an 8-bit 80 column
terminal emulator that doesn't produce eyestrain, when (if) it appears
on the market.  Scheduled release date for this product is June or
July, I believe.

  --Mark Knutsen

-----
* Call the JACG BBS: (201)298-0161 *