[comp.sys.atari.8bit] CES Announcement

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (06/05/87)

I am surprised to not see someone pick up on this yet, but here goes:

At the CES last week, Atari unveiled a new disk drive for the 8-bit line of
computers.  Dubbed the XF551, this 5.25" drive is double sided, double
density (total of 360K storage), runs 3 times faster than the Atari 1050
drive, and will sell for about the same price when the new drive becomes
available later this year.

Along with the XF551 drive comes ADOS, written by OSS, which supports a
tree-structured file system.

The XF551 with ADOS is compatible with other double-density third-party
drives as well as the original 1050 drive.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

kevin@voder.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <750@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

> At the CES last week, Atari unveiled a new disk drive for the 8-bit line of
> computers.  Dubbed the XF551, this 5.25" drive is double sided, double
> density (total of 360K storage), runs 3 times faster than the Atari 1050
> drive, and will sell for about the same price when the new drive becomes
> available later this year.

   Like any thing announced from Atari I'll believe it when I can go down to
the local computer store and BUY it!  As far as I'm concerned until then it
just doesn't exist.

--
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,pyramid,nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."