[comp.sys.atari.8bit] XF551/ADOS

lazear@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (06/10/87)

Not mentioned in the product announcement is whether compatability
with the 1050 also means compatability with the older 810 drives.
Do we assume that "compatability" means you can copy old single
density disks onto new double/doubles?
	Walt Lazear

appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) (06/11/87)

> From: lazear@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG

> Not mentioned in the product announcement is whether compatability
> with the 1050 also means compatability with the older 810 drives.
> Do we assume that "compatability" means you can copy old single
> density disks onto new double/doubles?
> 	Walt Lazear

The XF551 is supposed to be able to read all Atari disks.  There
should be no problem converting your old disks from single to double
density.
OSS is writing ADOS, and from what I've read it will be able to read
DOS 2.0, 4.6, 2.5, etc.  It won't read DOS 4.0, 3.0 or SpartaDOS
disks.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (06/12/87)

in article <12605@topaz.rutgers.edu>, appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) says:

> OSS is writing ADOS, and from what I've read it will be able to read
> DOS 2.0, 4.6, 2.5, etc.  It won't read DOS 4.0, 3.0 or SpartaDOS
> disks.

Excuse my ignorance... but what is DOS 4.6?

Will ADOS be able to read the 'Atari' format double density disks (these
are just standard format disks which have 256 bytes/sector instead of 128)
used by everyone else besides Atari?

I bet SpartaDOS will have a new version out soon after the ADOS/XF551 combo
hits the market.

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu.UUCP (06/12/87)

> From: dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
> Subject: Re: XF551/ADOS
> Date: 11 Jun 87 23:49:52 GMT
>
> Excuse my ignorance... but what is DOS 4.6?
>
> Will ADOS be able to read the 'Atari' format double density disks (these
> are just standard format disks which have 256 bytes/sector instead of 128)
> used by everyone else besides Atari?
>
> I bet SpartaDOS will have a new version out soon after the ADOS/XF551 combo
> hits the market.

DOS 4.6F was released by the old Atari.  It is similar to DOS 2.0.
As I said before ADOS should be able to read any Atari formatted disk
except for DOS4, or 3.

As for SpartaDOS, version 3.2 will support the new drive.  Look at the
options for XINIT, there is one the for a DS/DD drive.
--

knutsen@aramis.rutgers.edu (Mark Knutsen) (06/13/87)

> I bet SpartaDOS will have a new version out soon after the ADOS/XF551 combo
> hits the market.

     ICD's original reason for not releasing the SpartaDOS X cartridge
(aka SpartaDOS 3.3) was that they were waiting for Atari's 3.5" drive
to become available.  Now the 3.5" drive is a 5.25", and SpartaDOS X
is STILL not ready.  While chatting with ICD on 6/11, I was told not
to worry, "we ARE working on it."

     That's OK, though:  SpartaDOS 3.2 will indeed format DSDD drives, which
I can assure you are very handy to have.  I only hope Atari's new DSDD
drive is faster than my generic ones...