------------------UNDELIVERED MAIL FILE--------------------
Date:         Thu 4 Jun 87 21:43:50 PDT
Sender:       INFO-ATARI8 Discussion <INFO-A8@MARIST>
Comments: To: "Distribution List: ;" <INFO-ATARI8>
From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <INFO-ATARI8@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #49
To:           Name Unknown <F1.GDM@ISUMVS>,
              Name Unknown <N3.JMV@ISUMVS>,
              Bryan Welch <TP.A08@ISUMVS>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Thursday, June  4, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 49

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                        Re: terminal emulation
                Re: White House Computer experiences?
                                Help!
                        Re: terminal emulation
                Re: White House Computer experiences?
                  White House Computer experiences?
                        Re: terminal emulation
                       Massive failure at Score

Date: 3 Jun 87 01:36:49 GMT
From: ihnp4!ihlpm!njd@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (DiMasi)
Subject: Re: terminal emulation
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <12360@topaz.rutgers.edu>, appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L.
 Appelbaum) writes:

> There are a few good terminal emulators for the 8bit.
>     Chameleon - emulates a VT52, ADM3A, and others (19.95, ANTIC Catalog)
>     Kermit    - emulates a VT52 (free)
>     VT10SQ       - emulates a VT100 (free)

There is another VT100 emulator available for the 8-bit Ataris.  It is called
OmniCom, and runs on an 8-bit with the 80-column OMNIVIEW chip installed.
I have never used VT10SQ, so I can't speak from personal experience,
but I understand that OmniCom is an improvement over VT10SQ.  Besides VT100
emulation (in 80 cols. of course), it also offers Kermit and Xmodem, and the
latest version has ascii capture and a print-screen feature.  I am quite
pleased with it (I don't even have the latest version yet!).  I _have_ used
the Kermit + VT52 emulator, and the old Chameleon, and was more than ready
for 80 columns.

Nick DiMasi  ..!ihnp4!ihlpm!njd

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 87 16:25:26 GMT
From: mtune!rkh@RUTGERS.EDU  (Robert Halloran)
Subject: Re: White House Computer experiences?
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

In article <10176@decwrl.DEC.COM> fisher@star.dec.com (Burns Fisher ZKO1-1/D42
 DTN 381-1466) writes:
>Over 3 weeks ago, I ordered a US Doubler from White House Computers in
>Williamsport PA (ordered by phone, paid by plastic).  I expected to get the
>package within a few days as I always had with other mail order houses.
>However, nothing has come yet, although the charge has appeared on my credit
>card bill.  I will start the charge-back procedure if I can't get anything
>out of them!

Last summer, I ordered a 1050 drive & an Avatex modem from White House.
The hardware arrived in short order, however, neither worked.  I sent them
back in the separate cartons they had arrived in, with the return
authorization they had given me.  They replaced the modem in about two
weeks, but claimed to have never received the drive.  I was therefore
stuck for the $140. it cost me, since I had foolishly failed to send
the things return-receipt, ASSUMING it wouldn't be needed.  AmEx said
since it HAD been received originally, and I had no record of returning
it, that I was stuck for the charge.

I hope you have no trouble with the charge-back, and frankly I'd love
to hear that they've gone belly-up.

                    Bob Halloran, Consultant, ATT ISL
UUCP: rutgers!mtune!rkh                DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are."  - Buckaroo Banzai

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 1 Jun 87 18:56 PDT
From:     Disaster Area <8440827%wwu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
To:       INFO-ATARI8@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject:  Help!

Anybody know if there is a terminal program for the  8  biters that will
download files directly to disk?  I have only 32K of memory  and when my

POSTMAST@ISUMVS.BITNET (06/09/87)

Your mail to TP.A08 at ISUMVS could not be delivered for the
following reason:

Account TP.A08 does not exist.

Your mail has been sent to our General Delivery service to attempt
to locate the individual you wish to contact.

We will notify you of the result.  For further help, please send
mail to POSTMAST@ISUMVS.

Comments: To: "Distribution List: ;" <INFO-ATARI8>
From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <INFO-ATARI8@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #50
To:           Name Unknown <F1.GDM@ISUMVS>,
              Name Unknown <N3.JMV@ISUMVS>,
              Bryan Welch <TP.A08@ISUMVS>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Tuesday, June  9, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 50

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                           New Atari Drive
                              Re: Help!
                           CES Announcement
                          Re: 8-bit emulator
                    Re: Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #48
                Printer driver for Panasonic KX-P1091.
                     Public Domain Forth Compiler
                  PostScript for the Atari 8-bitters
                           format of digest
                         White House Computer

Date: 5 Jun 87 12:53:43 GMT
From: topaz.rutgers.edu!appelbau@RUTGERS.EDU  (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Subject: New Atari Drive
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

The following message was posted on GEnie by Neil Harris:

Category 10,  Topic 9
Message 18        Thu Jun 04, 1987
NHARRIS [Neil @ Atari]       at 18:16 EDT

The new XF551 disk drive was announced at CES.  It is a double sided,
double density drive which operates at 3 times the speed of the 1050
drive.  Its new DOS is called ADOS, which is being finalized by OSS,
and features a heirarchial file structure (like the ST and MSDOS).
Pricing should be very close to the current 1050 price.  Availibility
was not yet announced, but is expected before the end of the year.

--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jun 87 13:57:05 GMT
From: topaz.rutgers.edu!appelbau@RUTGERS.EDU  (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Subject: Re: Help!
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

Most terminal programs buffer the incomming data into the available
RAM, and write it to disk when the buffer is full.  If the program
wrote directly to disk your file transfer would take 3-5 times longer.

Date:      Sat,  6 Jun 87 00:33:19 CDT
To: <info-atari8@score.stanford.edu>
From: "GENE MERRITT" <F1.GDM%ISUMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

I remember seeing something about a modifiable version of the
VT10SQR program.  Has anyone made any progress in that respect?

I would like to see a vt100 emulator that supported file Xfers and
an auto-dial fone # list.

It would be real nice if the software could be made faster, it
seems to take forever to print anything (300 baud).  Could this be
due to the 80-column screen handler.  I have OmniView, could the
VT10SQR screen handler be removed and replaced with a routine that
would take advantage of OmniView?

Also:
---> Neil Harris:

Is or will Atari support or allow the production of a VT240
emulator for the ST?

Why is Atari against the 8-bit emulator?  Unless Atari just doesn't
want competition for its' own emulator (which may or may not exist)
why would it oppose an emulator?  I consider emulation a main
selling point for the ST. If I can't use my current software then

POSTMAST@ISUMVS.BITNET (06/11/87)

From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <INFO-ATARI8@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #51
To:           Name Unknown <F1.GDM@ISUMVS>,
              Name Unknown <N3.JMV@ISUMVS>,
              Bryan Welch <TP.A08@ISUMVS>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Wednesday, June 10, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 51

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                Avatex 1200 pin outs -> 850 interface
                              XF551/ADOS
                Educational Spanish Language Software

Date:      Tue,  9 Jun 87 15:08:57 CDT
To: <info-atari8@score.stanford.edu>
From: "GENE MERRITT" <F1.GDM%ISUMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

 Re: White House Computer

If the problems with WHC are as bad as I hear then someone, or everyone
involved ought to notfy the Postmaster General.  Even threatening
such action sometimes has a favorable result.

Don't take this lying down!

F1.gdm @ isumvs.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 10 Jun 87 10:52:36 EDT
From: USEREK5X%mts.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu
Subject:  Avatex 1200 pin outs -> 850 interface
To: INFO-ATARI8@score.stanford.edu

I could use some help as to making a cable for an Avatex 1200 to chain in
to my 850 interface.  I think I have the pin outs for the 850 but I am
entirely clueless on the Avatex.
Thanks in advance.
Bryant Ling
USEREK5X@RPITSMTS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87 13:55:20 EDT
From: lazear@gateway.mitre.org
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu
Subject: XF551/ADOS

Not mentioned in the product announcement is whether compatability
with the 1050 also means compatability with the older 810 drives.
Do we assume that "compatability" means you can copy old single
density disks onto new double/doubles?
    Walt Lazear

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 87 00:54:46 GMT
From: ihnp4!homxb!houxm!whuts!jim@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (MALCOLM)
Subject: Educational Spanish Language Software
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

Has anybody ever used either Spanish Vocabulary Skills from American
Educational Computer or Conversational Spanish from Atari Educational?
I have heard that the sound portion is terrible, but they could
be worth while if the vocabulary is comprehensive and the grammar/
vocabulary drills good.

Please reply by email.  I will send a summary to anyone who requests one.

Thanks
Jim Malcolm
AT&T Bell Laboratories
...!ihnp4!whuts!jim

------------------------------

End of Info-Atari8 Digest
**************************
-------

POSTMAST@ISUMVS.BITNET (06/17/87)

From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <INFO-ATARI8@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #52
To:           Name Unknown <F1.GDM@ISUMVS>,
              Name Unknown <N3.JMV@ISUMVS>,
              Bryan Welch <TP.A08@ISUMVS>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Tuesday, June 16, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 52

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                            Re: XF551/ADOS
                          CDY Omniview XL/XE
                            Re: XF551/ADOS
                            Re: XF551/ADOS
                            Re: XF551/ADOS
                            ACTION sizeof
                            Re: XF551/ADOS

Date: 11 Jun 87 16:04:05 GMT
From: topaz.rutgers.edu!appelbau@RUTGERS.EDU  (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Subject: Re: XF551/ADOS
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

> From: lazear@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG

> Not mentioned in the product announcement is whether compatability
> with the 1050 also means compatability with the older 810 drives.
> Do we assume that "compatability" means you can copy old single
> density disks onto new double/doubles?
>     Walt Lazear

The XF551 is supposed to be able to read all Atari disks.  There
should be no problem converting your old disks from single to double
density.
OSS is writing ADOS, and from what I've read it will be able to read
DOS 2.0, 4.6, 2.5, etc.  It won't read DOS 4.0, 3.0 or SpartaDOS
disks.

Date:     Thu, 11 Jun 87 14:01:36 EDT
From: USEREK5X%mts.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu
Subject:  CDY Omniview XL/XE
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

Has anyone had any problems installing the Omniview XL/XE chip?  I just
resocketed my 130 XE, but the chip boots up with a brown screen, just
like my old burned out 800.  My original OS works fine though.  I think
I just got a bum chip, but I'm going to try to socket it into one of my
two 800 XL's to check it out.
Bryant Ling
USEREK5X@RPITSMTS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 87 23:49:52 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

in article <12605@topaz.rutgers.edu>, appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L.
 Appelbaum) says:

> OSS is writing ADOS, and from what I've read it will be able to read
> DOS 2.0, 4.6, 2.5, etc.  It won't read DOS 4.0, 3.0 or SpartaDOS
> disks.

Excuse my ignorance... but what is DOS 4.6?

Will ADOS be able to read the 'Atari' format double density disks (these
are just standard format disks which have 256 bytes/sector instead of 128)
used by everyone else besides Atari?

I bet SpartaDOS will have a new version out soon after the ADOS/XF551 combo
hits the market.

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

------------------------------

POSTMAST@ISUMVS.BITNET (06/25/87)

From:         Info-Atari8 Digest <INFO-ATARI8@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      Info-Atari8 Digest V87 #53
To:           Name Unknown <F1.GDM@ISUMVS>,
              Name Unknown <N3.JMV@ISUMVS>,
              Bryan Welch <TP.A08@ISUMVS>

Info-Atari8 Digest   Wednesday, June 24, 1987   Volume 87 : Issue 53

This weeks Editor: Bill Westfield

Today's Topics:

                         ARCX vs 800XL again
                       Re: ARCX vs 800XL again
                             BBS Express
                            Re: XF551/ADOS
                            Re: XF551/ADOS
                            Re: XF551/ADOS

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 13:44 EDT
From: John R. Dunning <jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: ARCX vs 800XL again
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

A while ago, I discovered that the ARCX that's been posted a few times
will only work on real 800s, or XL/XEs with translator disks, and posted
the news to the net, with requests for aid, sources, pointers to author,
etc.  I haven't gotten any responses yet; does anyone out there know
anything about whether there's a fixed version available, or how I can
get hold of anyone who could tell me?

------------------------------

Date: 19 Jun 87 12:07:28 GMT
From: topaz.rutgers.edu!appelbau@RUTGERS.EDU  (Marc L. Appelbaum)
Subject: Re: ARCX vs 800XL again
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

ARC and ARCX Version 1.2 and v1.1 work on all ATARI 8bits.  I use it
on my 1200XL without the translator!  The current version is available
on GEnie, CI$, Delphi, and most bbs.

Date: 10 Jun 87 16:03:22 GMT
From: mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!utcsri!utegc!utai!garfield!stephen5@seismo.css.gov
Subject: BBS Express
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

HELP!!!!

  Could someone please help me.  I've been trying to track down
a copy of _BBS_Express_ but ALL the Mail Order (I have tried) either
say they haven't heard of the software or they will try to find a copy
and never get back to me.

  Our user group has tried the numbers in Antic only to discover
recording saying the number is NO longer in service.

QUESTION :

  Does anyone know where we can get a hold of a copy of _BBS_Express_?
Please, if it a Mail Order Business to supply all information(ie phone #
(recall this call will be from CANADA and thus a U.S. 800 number may not
work thus supply any other numbers given), address, will they ship to
CANADA, and have you ever dealt with them and how was there service)

Thanks for all the information....

====== Stephen Christian              Stephen5@garfield.mun.cdn ======
= A townie,                    St. John's,        N.AT.O. BASE BBS   =
= on the rock,                 Newfoundland,     (709) - 753 - 4529  =
= of the Great White North.    CANADA.           300 Baud(24h a day) =

Date: 22 Jun 87 22:07:02 GMT
From: oliveb!dragon@ames.arpa  (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you)
To: info-atari8@score.stanford.edu

in article <1789@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, view3b5@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Valastro) says: