[comp.sys.atari.8bit] good modem program

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (07/11/87)

Larry :

There are several vt100 emulation options.  I'm running CDY Consulting's
"OmniCom" program, which requires CDY's OMNIVIEW chip O/S replacement.
This is commercial, and the combination costs around $50.  On the other hand,
for the $50 you also get an 80-column word processor and a general-purpose
80-column E: device which you can use in your own programming.  On the 800, I
think CDY nowadays throws in a board containing the "OMNIMON" resident
debugger program, which formerly sold for more than $50 by itself at one time
-- but contact CDY for details.  Anyway, OmniCom does a very complete vt100
emulation compared to the others for the 8-bit Atari, and has the following
features, many of which are missing from other emulators:

	> supports kermit, xmodem, and ASCII send from file / capture to file
	  (or to printer)

	> has online "Print Screen" function for capturing short messages,
	  e-mail addresses or other data on screen right to the printer

	> allows you to list directory contents when preparing to send
	  or receive a file -- you can check name of file to send or
	  verify it's on the disk you thought, or make sure name is not
	  already present when receiving.

I find OmniCom a real delight to use after running a couple of other terminal
emulators without all these features.

Then there is the ancient but honorable VT10SQ vt100 emulator.  It doesn't
support file transfer (at least the version I had did not) and also doesn't
interpret any graphics (line drawing) commands.  OmniCom does a lot more.
VT10SQ is, however, available as a Public Domain program.

More recently (in fact even as we speak) John Dunning has put together and is
currently enhancing a Public Domain port of kermit65 from the Commodore world
to the Atari.  It has several terminal emulation modes, one of which is a
vt100 in software, similar to VT10SQ but, like OmniCom, with a prettier
font on the screen.  It also has a 40-column mode and an 80-column mode in
40-column format with scrolling to show you the whole screen.

Any of the vt100 emulators that puts 80 columns on the screen must be used
with a monochrome TV set or monitor, or one of the color monitors that has a
separate chroma input (e.g. the Commodore color monitors).

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (07/14/87)

In article <8707111641.AA13792@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>On the 800, I
>think CDY nowadays throws in a board containing the "OMNIMON" resident
>debugger program, which formerly sold for more than $50 by itself at one time
>-- but contact CDY for details.

True enough (at least a few months ago) but note:

The OMNIMON ROM goes in the same socket as the OMNICOM ROM.  Thus even
though you get both, you can't use them at the same time.  It is a pain in
the rear to remove the board and change ROM's if you want to use both.

Fred Sullivan
Department of Mathematical Sciences
State University of New York at Binghamton
Email: sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu