[comp.sys.atari.8bit] terminal emulator?

tpcharron@watmath.UUCP (07/13/87)

Could someone please tell me where I can get a terminal emulator for my 8-bit
atari?  I currently use whatever is handy (XE-Term, amodem 9.5, or hometerm),
but they don't work too well when talking to the UNIX at the university.
I've heard people mention a VT100 emulator.  Where do I find it?

I currently have an XM301 modem, but will likely get a hayes or similar
1200 baud the first (cheap) opportunity I find.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Tim Charron
--tpcharron@watmath.waterloo.edu

appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu (Marc L. Appelbaum) (07/13/87)

> From: tpcharron@watmath.UUCP
> Subject: terminal emulator?
> Date: 13 Jul 87 03:04:49 GMT
> Could someone please tell me where I can get a terminal emulator for my 8-bit
> atari?

VT10SQ and Kermit is available on most BBS's and on GEnie, and CIS, or
your local user group should have one of them in there library.
--
 -Marc L. Appelbaum
 Arpa:appelbau@topaz.rutgers.edu

jwm@aplvax.UUCP (Jim Meritt) (07/14/87)

In article <13899@watmath.UUCP>, tpcharron@watmath.UUCP writes:
> Could someone please tell me where I can get a terminal emulator for my 8-bit
> atari?  I currently use whatever is handy (XE-Term, amodem 9.5, or hometerm),
> but they don't work too well when talking to the UNIX at the university.
> I've heard people mention a VT100 emulator.  Where do I find it?
>
> I currently have an XM301 modem, but will likely get a hayes or similar
> 1200 baud the first (cheap) opportunity I find.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --Tim Charron
> --tpcharron@watmath.waterloo.edu

Me too!  I have the XM301, a 600XL, ... and at work at SUN 3/50 & Haynes 1200.
Sure could use a nice emulator......

--
 "Beware the babble problem!"   || James W. Meritt
         -Gilbertus Abans       || Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory

ericg@sco.UUCP (Eric Griswold) (07/15/87)

In article <13899@watmath.UUCP> tpcharron@watmath.waterloo.edu (Tim Charron) writes:
>Could someone please tell me where I can get a terminal emulator for my 8-bit
>atari?
>I've heard people mention a VT100 emulator.  Where do I find it?
>
>--Tim Charron
>--tpcharron@watmath.waterloo.edu

Pick up a copy of Antic Magazine.  Oftimes in the center, there is
a section of public domain software.

One of which is the VT10^2 80 column vt100 emulator, which uses
a graphics mode to show 80 columns.  It has some drawbacks:  can't
generate '~', '}', or '{' nor does it work well with a color monitor.

--
Eric Griswold
Quote:  3 more of these will make a gallon

Chameleon is the best terminal emulator I've seen for the 8 bit Ataris.
It's also very cheap. Go for it.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) (07/20/87)

in article <710@aplvax.UUCP>, jwm@aplvax.UUCP (Jim Meritt) says:
->
-> In article <13899@watmath.UUCP>, tpcharron@watmath.UUCP writes:
->>Could someone please tell me where I can get a terminal emulator for my 8-bit
->>atari?
->
-> Me too! I have the XM301, a 600XL, ... and at work at SUN 3/50 & Haynes 1200.
-> Sure could use a nice emulator......

This question comes up on the net *ALL THE TIME*.  I'm sure if you guys
search back to previous articles you'll find all kinds of recomendations.

I use Chameleon ver. 4.03 (I'm using it right now).  It's great!  It
supports Xmodem and Kermit.  It even comes with a termcap entry for use
with UNIX.  I've got an 835 modem but Chameleon supports many others
including the XM301.  Chameleon can emulate a Glass TTY, ADM-3A, DEC
VT-52, IBM 3031, ASCII, and a Test Terminal.  I use it in a mode called
VT-52XL (the termcap entry is for this).  Don't let this fool you... you
don't need an XL machine to use it.  I have an old 800.  Chameleon can be
found in the Antic Catalog for $19.95.  It's well worth the money!

        Gould Inc., Computer Systems Division, in Sunny South Florida
              ** The opinions (if any) expressed are my own. **
       ...seismo!gould!pkopp  OR  ...akgua!ucf-cs!novavax!gould!pkopp

          And remember:  A path is a thing that you have running
          between two shrubberies of slightly different heights.